InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Shipbucket - Archive Forum!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Shipbucket Archive

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Real life Las0rBeans!, I mean laserbeam.
MitcheLL300
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 08:00 AM

Adicted to Alternate universe netherlands

Group: Members
Member No.: 520

Yeah it's real life, and they have been tested on board of a ship.
Raytheon is currently going into beta stage with it's CIWS lasor weapon.
But maybe we can expect it very soon.

(Posted Image)
^-- FAKE PICTURE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THIS --^

Video of the test

''Date posted: 07/22/2010*

A Raytheon-U.S. Navy team used a high power, solid-state laser combined with a Phalanx Close-in Weapon System to shoot down four UAVs off San Nicolas Island near California. Powered by electricity, the system offers an affordable and almost infinite magazine to stop incoming threats. Once development is completed, the Laser Area Weapon System will give the warfighter a speed-of-light solution for defeating rockets, mortars, UAVs and other targets.

Raytheon intends to be a major player in the U.S. Army’s Common Infrared Countermeasures competition. Raytheon Missile Systems has developed a CIRCM solution, known as Scorpion that will feature the company’s production-matured directed infrared countermeasures turret and a rugged quantum cascade laser (QCL). Scorpion will be a light-weight, low-cost, highly reliable, laser-based infrared countermeasures solution against current and future IR guided threat missiles. ''

*if this has been posted before, im sorry i didnt find it*
I just posted this today because i didnt had time until now.

So guys what do you think about this?
With the 2nd goalkeeper in development.
Do you think that one will be laser armed aswell?

Mitch :cool:
TimothyC
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 01:36 PM

Cooler than you

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 308

Ah LADS. Yes I had seen where they had a series of successful tests. The shipbucket drawing is here.
Wikipedia and Universe
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 05:08 PM

Member No.: 892

I actually put the SB drawing of LADS on two of my AU ships. As for the person in the other thread about how well this thing could stop a P-700, remember that the Granit is far larger than a 60mm mortar, making it a larger target. LADS is not a singular defense. There will be LADS, Ram SeaRam, Sea Sparrows (mainly for Anti-aircraft defense), ESSMs, and even retaining some old Phalanx. Now if an ESSM (Mach-4 weapon mind you) hits a P-700 Granit in the nose, do you think that thing is gonna keep going?

This laser would be a good weapon to counter a new Chinese missile I heard about, which climbs into the upper atmosphere and sends a warhead down vertically toward ships at 1 mile a second. A laser could intercept it and travel at light speed. As for keeping the laser trained on the target, there is a reason it is mounted on the automated radar used in the Phalanx. And considering the new Ford-class carriers will be equipped with the new efficient A1B reactor, which can power a small city (which I presume will be gradually retrofitted to the Nimitz carriers when they get their overhauls), the reactors should have no problem powering a solid-state laser.
lazer_one
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 08:09 PM

Ice Pirate

Group: Premium Members
Member No.: 327

These lasers are not "solid-state" but "chemical" ones.
One or two auxiliary "solid-state" lasers are added for range-finding, tracking & illuminating the target.

Lazer_One
TimothyC
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 08:38 PM

Cooler than you

lazer_one - THEL (Tactical High Energy Laser), ATL (Advanced Tactical Laser) and ABL (AirBorne Laser) are chemical but the future the plan is for Solid-state systems (like the one in LADS) to replace them. This is one of the reason why President Obama's cancellation of the (Y)AL-1 program is so stupid. By building and working with the (Y)AL-1, we get experience in working with lasers of a higher power output than those used in NKC-135A (Serial 53-123) in flight conditions. This is something we need because one of the future concepts being worked on is for a system that fits in an F-35s ordinance bay.
paul_541
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 10:30 PM

Perfectionnist drawer (& his brother Bruno)

Member No.: 451

Fantastic ! :o :) :blink: :hail:

A great step for the naval technologies ! :D

Greetings. ;)
ezgo394
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 01:31 AM

IOT Navy Pilot

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (TimothyC @ Jul 25 2010, 03:38 PM)
lazer_one - THEL (Tactical High Energy Laser), ATL (Advanced Tactical Laser) and ABL (AirBorne Laser) are chemical but the future the plan is for Solid-state systems (like the one in LADS) to replace them. This is one of the reason why President Obama's cancellation of the (Y)AL-1 program is so stupid. By building and working with the (Y)AL-1, we get experience in working with lasers of a higher power output than those used in NKC-135A (Serial 53-123) in flight conditions. This is something we need because one of the future concepts being worked on is for a system that fits in an F-35s ordinance bay.

Are you kidding me? OBAMA CANCELLED the ABL? I hate him. The experimental 747, YAL-1, is so awesome looking.
navybrat85
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 01:57 AM

Proud to be an American.

Member No.: 726

Obama's cancelled alot of stuff. His budget recommendations also cancelled CGX as I recall.
ezgo394
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 02:02 AM

IOT Navy Pilot

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (navybrat85 @ Jul 25 2010, 08:57 PM)
Obama's cancelled alot of stuff. His budget recommendations also cancelled CGX as I recall.

Well, I can understand CGX. IMO, its an ugly ship.
TimothyC
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 03:14 AM

Cooler than you

QUOTE (ezgo394 @ Jul 26 2010, 02:02 AM)

Well, I can understand CGX. IMO, its an ugly ship.

CG(N)X was never going to use the DDG-1000 hull. Tumblehome with that wave-piercing bow was stupid and won't come back for at least 40 years or so. Only to die again.

QUOTE (navybrat85 @ Jul 25 2010, 08:57 PM)

It's funny. The only example of bipartisanship in the current congress is the opposition to the cancellation of NASA's Constellation Program. Obama wants a 'New heavy lifter', RIGHT AFTER HE CANCELED ARES V!

QUOTE (ezgo394 @ Jul 26 2010, 01:31 AM)
Are you kidding me? OBAMA CANCELLED the ABL? I hate him. The experimental 747, YAL-1, is so awesome looking.

He ordered the program reverted from an acquisition program to an R&D program. Only there is no more funding for tests firings or even flights. Or to put together the second system (which the parts for have already been collected).

Obama's ABM policy is 180° from what was said in the campaign. He's killed GBI procurement, Kinetic Energy Interceptor development (KEI was to replace GBI, and go in the CG(N)X, and possibly with the Common Aero Vehicle be a part of Prompt Global Strike), and the Multi-Kill Vehicle (the MKV was to be a new hit-to-kill warhead for GBI, KEI, and the SM-3, while being smaller and lighter, allowing even the SM-3 to carry two warheads).
klagldsf
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 04:20 AM

even Colo thinks I'm an asshole

Member No.: 488

QUOTE (TimothyC @ Jul 26 2010, 03:14 AM)
The man is shaping up to be even stupider than the peanut farmer.

I'm serious, stop scaring me like that.
erik_t
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 04:59 AM

Heroic Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 288

Timothy, you're so close to making mature, intelligent, polite conversation, then you chortle to yourself with some mouthbreathing nickname nonsense. Knock that shit off.

Anyway, the vast bulk of experience working with full-power YAL-1 would be pissing around with the unpleasant chemistry - experience which will be completely inapplicable to any future service systems. The relevant and worthwhile learning would be a drop in the bucket.
klagldsf
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 05:14 PM

even Colo thinks I'm an asshole

Member No.: 488

So at the risk of sounding like a noob, I take it that there's a solid-state alternative to YAL-1 in the works?

I would imagine this would require a lot less than a 747.

And just to clarify, I mean an airborne ICBM interceptor, as opposed to LADS.
erik_t
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 05:36 PM

Heroic Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 288

I'm sure there is. I know nothing about it, but I'm sure there is. I wouldn't be surprised to see it still consume a 747. You still need insane loiter time, and the nice open nose of the 747 is a compelling advantage. The optical train (such as it may be) will still be sized by the power of the beam, not its source. I suspect the required cooling system (you're not putting 99% of the power input into the beam!) will continue to dictate a center-fuselage mounted weapon in this power class.

I think the situation is not entirely unlike the submarine world in 1950, right down to the terrifying crew-eating chemistry. High test peroxide promised amazing performance, but holy god you paid a price. A nuclear powered submarine was not there yet, but was very clearly the way forward.
Midnightnova
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 06:02 PM

Midnightnova

Member No.: 450

QUOTE (erik_t @ Jul 26 2010, 05:36 PM)
I'm sure there is. I know nothing about it, but I'm sure there is. I wouldn't be surprised to see it still consume a 747. You still need insane loiter time, and the nice open nose of the 747 is a compelling advantage. The optical train (such as it may be) will still be sized by the power of the beam, not its source. I suspect the required cooling system (you're not putting 99% of the power input into the beam!) will continue to dictate a center-fuselage mounted weapon in this power class.

I think the situation is not entirely unlike the submarine world in 1950, right down to the terrifying crew-eating chemistry. High test peroxide promised amazing performance, but holy god you paid a price. A nuclear powered submarine was not there yet, but was very clearly the way forward.

Aye, the capacitor banks and generators for a solid-state DEW grade laser will take up a lot of space, but it's much better then hauling around tanks of deuterium flouride...

Chemical lasers are **bombs** waiting to happen, would not want one on ship, and certainly not a plane. Incidentally, I heard the name "Centurion" in used with the Raytheon LADS system. Would work well, First a Phalanx, then a Centurion. I just hope Gates doesn't axe the LADS...
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive