InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Shipbucket - Archive Forum!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Shipbucket Archive

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Why did we buy
darthpanda
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 05:39 PM

Veteran Member

Group: Elite Members
Member No.: 276

Who said that RAAF only keep those Rhino's for 5 years? You must understand in military term:
Temporary solution = THE solution

The reason the for F-111 to retire is: MONEY

1. High maintenance cost
like you said F-111 is from the 70's and with variable-sweep wings, that will make her very very maintenance intensive. Most of the parts are out of production years ago, that meant a lots of $$$$$$ to find and get parts.

2. High Operation cost
Then because she has a lots of moving parts for her variable-sweep wings, That meant she needs a lots of ground crew operate her, more ground crew = more cost.

On the other hand F-111 has reached the limitation for upgrade, there are limited space on board for new modern avionic and the limited computer capacity which needed for modern air combat.

Especially after most potential enemy in the area are equipped with Flankers now, you will need something better the old F-111.
navybrat85
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 02:41 PM

Proud to be an American.

Group: Members
Member No.: 726

I don't know a whole lot about the F-111, but eventually the time comes when the old war horses must concede their stables to the new generation. I didn't want to see the Tomcat retired, and I was sad when they retired it, but if it wasn't already so, the Tomcat, like the Aardvark, would have become more a burden than it's worth to keep around. The sentimental feelings towards these work horse aircraft are understandable, but sentiment alone does not provide for good national defense. If it did, then the USAF would still be flying Mustangs and Flying Forts.
Colosseum
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 08:12 PM

hey dudes

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1

Nothing wrong with retiring them... they gave good honorable service while they were part of the RAAF, hopefully the Australians get to keep a few around for museum aircraft and for private owners to fly around.
blackbuck
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 08:32 PM

Jaffa Cakes!

Group: Premium Members
Member No.: 734

There's an F-111 in a museum at RAF Cosford not too far from where I live and I must admit they are fantastic planes aesthetically and from a technical point of view. As Colo says hope some of them are kept back for preservation.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Off Topic | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive