zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Shipbucket - Archive Forum!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Shipbucket Archive

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Question about attributing credit, Wording in the top right
Wikipedia and Universe
  Posted: Jul 10 2010, 05:12 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 892

I saw something about guidelines for the wording when attributing credit. I know it is the [author]&[author] guideline, though I have seen people using things such as "modified by" or "with work from". I am currently working on some drawings for my AU which are modified forms of real ship drawings or I used a real ship as a starting point. I have basically been saying "[Author], modified by Wikipedia and Universe with work from [author(s)]". I am thinking of changing it to the standard "[author]&[author]" format, though I am wondering, would "[author]&[author]" format still be applicable even if the authors did not work on it together, such as in my case if I modified another author's drawing but it was in order to make a different design.

For example, I modified a drawing of a Virginia-class submarine, lengthening and heightening the hull, changing the bow and prop, and making several other changes to create an entirely different ship I call the "Linux-Class". I currently have the credit in the top right that reads "Wikipedia and Universe, using work from Darth Panda and MihoshiK". As stated before, this was not to update or mod the Virginia, it was extensively editing the Virginia with some work from the Jimmy Carter (also the work of Darth Panda and MihoshiK) to create a whole new ship. Should I still change it to "Darth Panda and MihoshiK and Wikipedia and Universe" and do the same for other ships, or is my wording acceptable?

The reason I was hesitant is because to me, "[author]&[author]" implies that the two or however many authors worked on it together or one modified the work of another but it was still the same ship. I want to make sure I am attributing due credit, but I want to make sure I am using the proper format.
Colosseum
Posted: Jul 10 2010, 05:16 AM

hey dudes

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1

(Darth Panda & MihoshiK & Wikipedia and Universe)

It's generally known around here that the last author listed is the modifier.

You shouldn't be seeing credits in the form of "Modified By" or "With Work From", because that's not how our guidelines work, and more importantly people should not be crediting that way.
Wikipedia and Universe
Posted: Jul 10 2010, 05:22 AM

Thanks. I didn't see the wrong crediting from anyone on these forums, but I saw that type of Crediting from a drawing on WikiStates. Speaking of which, I plan to start uploading my AU drawings there, and I'd like to know what the standard licensing is for Shipbucket drawings when uploading them to a Wiki such as WS.
Colosseum
Posted: Jul 10 2010, 05:39 AM

hey dudes

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1

http://wikistates.outwardhosting.com/wiki/...less_(1944).png

Use that, whichever one it is.

{{self|cc-by-sa-3.0|GFDL}}
Wikipedia and Universe
Posted: Jul 10 2010, 05:09 PM

Thanks.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Introductions | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive