Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Shipbucket - Archive Forum!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Shipbucket Archive

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Proto-Long Beach / CLGN-1956 Scheme O
erik_t
Posted: Feb 6 2010, 07:34 PM

Heroic Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 288

Very WIP, obviously. Not a ton of reference material aside from a good line drawing; no artist impressions of which I am aware.

(Posted Image)
(Posted Image)

Note the curious early radar imagination; SPG-49 differing substantially from SPQ-5 (a difference I've negated), SPW-2, separate CW illuminators for SARH Talos and Terrier, SPG-51 for Tartar, SPG-53 for the GFCS... not less than six different types of fire control radar/receiver sets.

I'm a little torn philosophically on how to handle all of this. We know how Talos and Terrier ended up handling CW illumination, and we know that the separate RAT (of which we finally have a drawing :) ) would have ended up morphing into ASROC. What's the right balance of modifying systems on a drawing in accordance with their historic development? I don't think there's a right answer, but I'm curious to hear everyone's feeling on this. Certainly starting with a clean-sheet of paper and those known final systems, things would look quite different... but then it is my own design, not a never-were.
Hood
Posted: Feb 7 2010, 10:31 AM

Group: Elite Members
Member No.: 320

It's a tough choice.

Since we're looking at a never-built real-life design I would go for the systems as originally designed rather than the finished products. That fits better for the look of the drawing as a true representation. Then it will be a shipbucket drawing of the orginal plans.

Perhaps then do a version with the final systems as we know them today as a representation of what a built CLGN-1956 would have looked like in service if acutally completed. It's not totally own-design becuase we know what things turned out like with further development.

I must admit I like that funky RAT launcher.
MihoshiK
Posted: Feb 8 2010, 10:49 PM

Great Old One

Member No.: 338

I've gotta echo Hood's assesment here. First thing is to build it as they'd originally envisioned it. That's the info you HAVE. Working from there is conjecture. Since we know what worked and what did not it'll probably be good conjecture, but the main thing is to draw it like they thought it would end up.
erik_t
Posted: Feb 9 2010, 12:50 AM

Heroic Member

Member No.: 288

The problem is that, often, how it "would have been" is far less clear; it's much more conjecture to draw a notional SPG-49 than it is to drop on the real thing, for instance.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Never Built Designs | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive