Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Shipbucket - Archive Forum!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Shipbucket Archive

Shipbucket has a new forum! Please go and register there at once. The InvisionFree forum (the one you are looking at now) will no longer be updated. Posting has been disabled on this forum and it now serves only as an archive. Thanks!

Raytheon LADS experimental HEL weapon
Midnightnova
Posted: Mar 23 2009, 09:31 PM

Midnightnova

Group: Premium Members
Member No.: 450

Something I found that Raytheon is currently developing as a replacement for both Phalanx and SeaRAM.

It's a non-chemical based laser system, compatable with the Phalanx mount and FCS.

(Posted Image)

Not deployed operationally, but in tests has been able to intercept 60mm mortar rounds at 500 meters. Ammo lasts as long as you have power generation, and no laser fuels to worry about. (Not something I would really want to carry aboard ship)

Edit: Adjusted height of laser emitter unit for accuracy.
erik_t
Posted: Mar 23 2009, 10:22 PM

Heroic Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 288

Very interesting. Do you have additional information about this system? A link or three would be pretty awesome.

As for the drawing itself, I think it could use shading underneath the "big laser box".
Midnightnova
Posted: Mar 23 2009, 11:09 PM

Midnightnova

Here's the link to the company itself.

http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/feature/s...ms04_025223.pdf

Looks very promising.

The first one I posted (The prototype for testing) is actually different from the planned operational version (as shown on Raytheon's PDF), have added both in the updated posting.

(Posted Image)
Tacit
Posted: Mar 24 2009, 09:32 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 298

Very, very interesting - and the use of Phalanx components is clever.

I notice that although it says LADS can be used for 'ship defence', Anti-ship missiles are not listed as potential targets.

I guess an armoured, supersonic P-700 GRANIT is a bit tougher to kill than a 60mm mortar round, but if LADS is developed....
erik_t
Posted: Mar 24 2009, 03:19 PM

Heroic Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 288

Well it's not as if Phalanx would be a hell of a lot better against said unmanned-kamikaze-MiG-21 (check the weights, it's shockingly close). As the USN found out decades before, against a target like that, nothing short of around 76mm is worthwhile.
Midnightnova
Posted: Mar 24 2009, 07:43 PM

Midnightnova

What would be interesting would be a combined defense mount, similar to the CADS-N-1 Kashtan. One or two LADS projectors combined with a missile launcher. SeaRAM or maybe ESSM.

The LADS would probably have an easier time taking down liquid fueled missiles, but yeah a P-700 would be a bit rough to deal with simply from the sheer mass.
Mezinov
Posted: Mar 25 2009, 12:29 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 304

I could see an individual ship not being able to do more than a medium-small aircraft launched missile, but if multiple LADS from multiple ships could work together on a single target, their destructive capability is limited only by how long the threat is in view.
Midnightnova
Posted: Mar 25 2009, 04:24 AM

Midnightnova

Hmm, that ability would work well with AEGIS. It definately seems meant for squadrons/TF's, as opposed to just lone ships.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Parts Sheets | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive