InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Ntx. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Sony Ericsson K750i Review
amdfans
Posted: Jun 16 2005, 12:51 PM

Staff
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 4

thanks to ntx who borrow me this phone to make this review

The Sony Ericsson K750i is the new kid on the block, with many already getting impatient while waiting for it to be launched since it was announced in CeBIT, Hannover, Germany in March 2005. So what is it that makes this a highly anticipated phone, when there are many others in the market with similar specs?

Iím one of the lucky few who got the Sony Ericsson K750i on the first few days of it being available in Malaysia. Needless to say, I was impressed by everything the K750i has to offer.

First of all, letís run through whatís included in the package. Thereís of course the transceiver, a 900mAh battery, a charger which supports the new Fastport interface, a handsfree which also supports the new Fastport, a 64MB Memory Stick Duo and its adapter, a USB cable, a Sony Ericsson landyard, a CD containing the PC Suite, and last but not least the manuals.

user posted image

Hardware
The K750i looks like a mixture of its older sibling, the K700i and the black version of the T630. Measuring 100 x 46 x 20.5 mm and weighing 99g, itís not exactly the smallest handset in the market, but it sure is not bulky at all. It comes with a 262k TFT display and a screen that measures 1.8Ē and a resolution of 176 x 220 pixels.

An additional button is present on the K750i, positioned above the joystick, which acts as a shortcut button, and when pressed calls up the 3 tabs. The first being New Events, which displays items like missed calls, SMSs received. Second tab would be My Shortcuts, and you can customize it to the few applications that you often access, Mine is set to Bluetooth, Phone Status and Calendar. The third tab would be Bookmarks, which is similar to the Bookmarks feature available on standard browsers, and enabled you to access your favourite WAP site easily.

The Shortcut Button
user posted image

Turn the phone to the back, you immediately notice the slider, which when opened automatically activates the camera, and when closed deactivates the camera. Talk about taking pictures conveniently, this certainly does do the trick. Thereís a dedicated camera shutter button that is located on the centre right hand side of the phone. When taking a picture the phone is supposed to be turned 90 degrees to the left so that the dedicated shutter button is now located on the top right side of the phone. This mimics the normal camera. Thereís also volume button located on the top left of the phone, which doubles as a zoom button when in camera mode. In short, everything is conveniently placed, so much so that you will feel like using a normal camera.
user posted image

Located at the bottom of the phone is a newly developed Fastport, which is going to be present in every new Sony Ericsson handset from now on. It serves as a charging port, handsfree port, and also the port in which you plug your USB cable in. Gone are the days where you have a separate port for charger and handsfree.

The Fast Port
user posted image

The keypad is made of plastic. I personally find that the keypad has better tactile feedback when compared to the K700i. The backlighting is white and very soothing to the eyes. Another thing worth mentioning is the joystick. Itís generally more sensitive than the joystick on the K700i, in which a slight movement of the joystick enables you to navigate the menus of the phone easily.

The Phoneís Functions
Iíll now go through the phoneís functions briefly, with emphasis on the extra features added when compared to its predecessor, the K700i.

Memory
The phone comes with about 32MB of internal memory, a little less than that of the K700iís. But the good news is, it can be expandable via Memory Stick PRO Duo. And a 64 MS PRO Duo is included in the box. It can be expandable up till 2GB, but be prepared to part with more cash than usual as a 1GB MS PRO Duo is comparatively more expensive than other memory medias, say the 1GB SD card.

Messaging
Messaging functions are pretty much the same as that of the K700iís. But in the K750i, you can store up till 200 messages as opposed to the 100 messages limitation on the K700i. This is indeed a great change needed as many people nowadays tend to store their precious messages and would require larger storage space. Also worth noting, is the fact that you can now customize the SMS tones to your liking. Apart from the standard 6 SMS tones, you can also choose a tune of your own as the SMS tone. It can be in MP3 format and also MIDI format.

Phone Book
Layout of the phone book is also pretty similar to the K700i. Difference being, the K750i has the ability to store 500 names, instead of the 500 numbers on the K700i. This means that assuming each phone book entry consists of a Mobile, Work, Fax, Home and Other number, and each field is filled, you can get up till more than 2000 numbers in the phone book. This is especially useful for people who has lots of contacts, and are put off by the 500 entries limit in the K700i.

Entertainment
Thereís 3 games pre-installed in the K750i, namely: Aero Mission 3D, Puzzle Slider and Super Real Tennis. Also under entertainment, thereís Music DJ, which allows one to edit and create your own ring tones. Video DJ, which is an advanced version of a Music DJ function, is also present. It allows the editing of music, and by adding pictures and notes, results in a final product in the 3GP format, and can be shared with friends either via MMS or email. Photo DJ is an application which allows you to edit photos, by adding a clipart, or adding a frame, adding an effect etc. This is a great tool for users who have nothing else to do.

A Bluetooth Remote Control is present in the K750i. It allows one to control your Presenter, Media Player and also Desktop via Bluetooth. Also available is a Sound Recorder, useful for people who always have the need to record conversations, or maybe just some thoughts that popped into their minds.

PlayNowô
Thereís a menu called PlayNowô, which when clicked brings me to download ring tones in the MIDI format. One can also download games from this menu, whereby you can preview the ring tone or game before actually downloading the entire game or ring tone. A neat feature if you asked me, especially with the downloading frenzy people are into these days.

Radio and Media Player
As of the K700i, the K750i has a FM tuner. An additional feature would be the RDS support, which allows a line of information transmitted by the radio station, similar to the function available in most car players nowadays. A total of 20 stations can be stored into the phoneís memory.

The Media Player now has Mega Bass function, a feature already present in the Sony Walkman series, and also the V800 launched earlier in certain parts of the world. Listening to music is now sheer pleasure with Mega Bass present.

Battery Life
The K750i comes with a 900 mAh standard battery. Battery life is very much improved over the K700i. I can get an impressive 2-3 days with average usage, about 20 calls per day with an average of 5 minutes per call, 10 odd SMSs, Bluetooth on 8 hours a day, snapping a few pictures and viewing them, listening to music, either MP3ís or FM.

A picture of the battery
user posted image

Connectivity
The K750i comes equipped with 3 major forms of connectivity, namely Bluetooth, IrDA and also via USB cable. The K750i supports Bluetooth v2.0, a first in phones. I use Bluetooth mainly for data transfer and also to use it with a Bluetooth headset. Sending and receiving Bluetooth works fine between my phone, my notebook and also a few Bluetooth enabled phones I tried. However problems arose when I tried to use it with my Bluetooth headsets. I paired the K750i with 3 headsets, the HBH-200, HBH-300 and HBH-660. I only managed to get the K750i to work with the HBH-200 flawlessly, making and receiving calls via the headset works perfectly. When paired with either the HBH-300 or HBH-660, it worked fine when I made an outgoing call, the call was transferred to the headset almost immediate. But when thereís an incoming call, the call refused to transfer to the headset, and I had to answer the call via the handset, even though Bluetooth was activated on both the phone and the headset. A check with the technical guys revealed that this is a firmware problem, and can be solved when thereís a firmware update. Iíll update you guys when I get the firmware updated.

Another thing about the Bluetooth worth mentioning is, it now allows more than one Bluetooth device to be connected to the phone at a time. This is a vast improvement over the K700i, in which once a Bluetooth device is connected to the phone, no other Bluetooth devices can connect to the phone.

The K750iís package comes with a USB cable. Once connected, one can browse the external storageís contents, and transfer data seamless between the phone to the PC and vice versa. Transfer speed is fast, making transferring of large files, ie MP3 files a breeze.

Imaging
The imaging capabilities, a 2 Megapixel camera is one of the most anticipated feature of the K750i. It comes equipped with a 2 Megapixel CMOS lens camera. Auto Focus is also present, a first in camera phones. One can capture picture in 3 different sizes, Small (160x120), Medium (640x480) and Large (1632x1224). Thereís a 4x Digital Zoom, in which pictures taken with the Zoom not looking god at all. Camera shutter sound can be muted just by switching the phoneís ringer off.

Under Shoot Mode, you can choose from Normal, Panaroma, Frames or Burst, a feature which enables one to take pictures in succession, something some people might recall from the Samsung E700ís ad some time back.

Pictures can be captured in either Fine or Normal, in which a picture captured under the Fine mode will take up about 500+kb, and under Normal mode it will be 300+kb. Saving time depends on the picture size, with a picture taken under Fine mode, large size taking about 2-3 seconds to save.

One can also manipulate with the White Balance feature, where options available are Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent, and Incandescent. Under effects, thereís Black and White, Negative, Sepia and Solarize.

Interestingly, you can also set it to include a date and time of picture taken, a feature I believe many would welcome in camera phones as cameras becoming an important feature in phones nowadays. One can also set to save the pictures either to phone memory or to the external media. A self-timer feature is also present, making the K750i having almost every feature a digital camera would have nowadays. For taking up-close pictures, thereís always the Macro mode which one can utilize.

The K750i also enables video recording, a feature already present in its older sibling. One can take videos in 2 sizes, Small (128x96) and Large (176x144), and the end product is in 3gp format. Duration of video can be set at either a 10 second video clip for MMS purposes, or high quality videos with the duration determined by the amount of memory available.

The K750i comes with a 2-LED flash light, which is useful to illuminate the dark when taking either pictures or videos. Interestingly, the flash light has a SOS feature, when activated blinks in succession to attract attention. As the name suggests, itís a call for help feature.

Flash Light on
user posted image

Conclusion
The K750i is definitely a worthy successor to the K700i, improving on the flaws in the K700i. The addition of 2MP camera, a memory expansion slot, and also an increased phone book capacity is a needed improvement for it to keep up with the technology, if not standout among the ever crowded mobile phone market.

Overall, the phone is considered stable, with no hangs experienced during the period I was using the phone. Phone built is sturdy, with the exception of the battery cover, which squeaks occasionally when pressing the keys.

I would recommend it to people who want a powerful imaging device with up to date features, yet not sacrificing on its form factor, which is nice and sleek. At a SRP of RM 1799, itís definitely worth a thought.

--------------------
user posted image
NTX
Posted: Jun 16 2005, 01:02 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

stupid phone..only dummkopf like it....smart people dont use SE

--------------------
user posted image
Max
Posted: Jan 18 2006, 05:07 PM

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 64

then i suppose smart ppl use only MOTOROLA E398 then.....

NTX is having 1 of those..............
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Hand phone,PDA & Smart phone | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5553 seconds | Archive