zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Court Records. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

A Hypothesized Setting for Ace Attorney, What Nonsense is This!?
Percei
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 04:52 PM

AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,025

So I've played through Ace Attorney time and again, and I love the series. Something has always occurred to me though; where is the game set? I'm not talking about the Japanese GK, because it's pretty obvious it's a fictional city in Japan. That's not what I'm concerned about. I was wondering where the localization could be set.

As someone creating a fangame, perhaps it's just the architect in me, I always think of settings before anything else, where things occur is important to me. Anyway enough about that.

SO. It's generally accepted fanon that it's set in L.A., and this has always bugged me. I'm willing to believe that it's set in California, given the metropolitan setting and the more liberal ideologies of the characters. But, L.A. seems to impossible based on what we see in the game. L.A. is a costal city, where the climate is consistently warm or mild. This doesn't fit in with events that happen in AA.

So, my hypothesis, is that it takes place in a fictonal town known as Hope Springs, California. This fictional town is in Northern California, not too far from the coast, but not close to it. It has a decent proximity to the mountainous areas, but you still have to take a train to get to them. It's a decent sized city, big enough to have it's own airport, but not big enough where you can't walk to get from place to place, so somewhere from a few hundred thousand citizens to maximum 1 million. It clearly a metropolitan area, with plenty of skyscrapers, office complexes, and a well funded government (I mean, a 16 story police department). And I bring PROOF!

-The name comes from the airport in AAI (Hope Springs Airport), airports are almost always named after one of two things 1) the city it's built in, or 2) an important or historical figure they try to honor. While Hope Springs sounds like it could be the name of a person, it sounds more like a city, and plus with the idea of name puns and the themes of the series, Hope Springs seems like a fitting name.

-It's proneness to earthquakes lends HEAVILY to it's location in California. (Thanks VelleVette), also, the fact that Gumshoe mentions L.A. casaually also helps it's case.

-A location in northern California allows the ability to have a cold enough winter to permit snow. Not blizzard-esque conditions, but a reasonable amount such as in case 2-3.

-Proximity to mountains (from a reasonable distance) suddenly makes Kurain and Hazakura quite possible. Also a mountain in the north makes snow more likely on places like Hazakura which aren't directly near the peak.

-Plus it being a city near Sacramento (also north-ish) could make this fictional city's surreal political importance more reasonable.

Almost all of this came from the game series and a bit of knowledge of geography.

This post has been edited by Percei on Feb 13 2011, 05:34 PM

--------------------
user posted image
henke37
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 04:57 PM

Programmer

Member No.: 2,536

Hope Springs sounds more like a landmark if you ask me. It could be one of those airports that are a bit outside of the city.

--------------------
Working on a new game engine for ace attorney games. I am looking for assistance.
looby
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 05:04 PM

Medium-in-training

Member No.: 2,718

No it definitely sounds more like a place.

Anyway Percei, nice essay. And it all makes sense.

--------------------
user posted image | user posted image | user posted image
bad player
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 05:09 PM

Naitou is awesome

Member No.: 2,195

Whoa the airport in AAI is "Hope Springs Airport"? I missed that .__.

Well, that's a pretty good argument tongue.gif
VelleVette
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 05:18 PM

Decisive Witness

Member No.: 2,852

It also has to be prone to earthquakes. I'm guessing that being in California means that goes without saying.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
nudalman
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 05:19 PM

The Trusty Nudal! XP

Member No.: 2,631

This is quite believable, great argument.

--------------------
user posted image
Neni
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 05:37 PM

Troupe Gramayre, REVIVED!

Member No.: 2,533

Sounds great. I now feel bad for using LA as the setting in my fanfic... f_-_gumshoe.gif

Then again, my Fanfic also features a Yaezakura Tree in Kurain, blooming in late spring. f_-_phoenixehhh.gif Everything is possible!

The climatic problem with the resetting of the localization in America is the fact that Japan does have a pretty messed up clima. (I wrote a test about that not too long ago.) They have their summer split up into 4 extremly different phases, several warm- and cold-water currents playing around with the air-masses that reach the islands, cold and warm continental air coming from the west, cold and warm maritime air coming from the east, mountains seperating the country into two climatic halves... Let's just say: The weather newscast is something you should keep a close eye on in Japan. f_-_hobohodo6.gif

--------------------
<<< If I catch you watching me sleeping, Giggles, I will kill you so hard you will die to death— Marche, July26th 2011; 22:44
Tantei KID
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 05:47 PM

Desk Jockey

Member No.: 2,717

^The weather forecast in Japan is usually ridiculously accurate though.

--------------------
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Marche
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 05:55 PM

Prosecutor

Member No.: 2,531

Wow. This is now head-canon for me.

So, where do you people think the other countries are, exactly? I mean the fictional ones - Borginia, Cohdopia and Zheng Fa.

--------------------
And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
Meph
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 05:58 PM

AAO English community manager

Member No.: 2,599

Off-topic: Minus the ridiculously accurate weather forecasts, Japan's weather is very similar to ours in Britain. tongue.gif

@Percei
Are you sure that Hope Springs Airport is actually in same place as the setting of the AA games? It could be a half-an-hour's drive away and belong to a smaller city.

--------------------
user posted image
hamzajaka
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 06:25 PM

Suspect

Member No.: 3,034

Being in Northern California, I can say that your argument makes perfect sense. I have to admit, I was always puzzled by the snow in LA (at least for the fictional locations in this game. Out of curiosity, how exactly is japan's climate messed up? I actually thought codhopia was was based on either Germany (E and W Berlin) or a small area in eastern europe near Serbia or Croatia. Zheng Fa,I could see it is as sorta being like Taiwan, a small island off the coast of Asia.
Neni
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Meph @ Feb 13 2011, 05:58 PM)
Off-topic: Minus the ridiculously accurate weather forecasts, Japan's weather is very similar to ours in Britain. tongue.gif

Britain. Another country known for it's messed up wheater. XD At least where I live.

We have a few jokes about how bad the weather in England is, actually. ^^;

I am wondering what part of Japan you are refering to though.

Ura-Nihon and Omote-Nihon (I am only using those terms out of lack of an alternative) have very different climates, Hokkaido's a lot colder than the rest of the country and the Ryuukyuu Islands are a lot more tropical.

The weather forecast in Japan is usually ridiculously accurate though.

That's incredibly good to know! ^^

Here in Austria, you can NEVER trust the weather forecast... f_-_gumshoe.gif It's almost always colder than they claim... except when it's the other way around.

This post has been edited by Neni on Feb 13 2011, 06:32 PM

--------------------
<<< If I catch you watching me sleeping, Giggles, I will kill you so hard you will die to death— Marche, July26th 2011; 22:44
BuddyFaith
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 07:08 PM

Lang: *moans*

Member No.: 2,526

QUOTE (Marche @ Feb 13 2011, 11:55 AM)

So, where do you people think the other countries are, exactly? I mean the fictional ones - Borginia, Cohdopia and Zheng Fa.

Borginia=Germany.
Cohdopia=I'm thinking either Czech Republic or Ukraine for me.
Zheng Fa=China.

--------------------
Steel Turnabout
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 08:08 PM

Oh yes. Classiness.

Member No.: 2,750

QUOTE (BuddyFaith @ Feb 13 2011, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (Marche @ Feb 13 2011, 11:55 AM)

Borginia=Germany.
Cohdopia=I'm thinking either Czech Republic or Ukraine for me.
Zheng Fa=China.

Same, except I say Borginia is in South America, maybe near Brazil.
Neni
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 08:26 PM

QUOTE (BuddyFaith @ Feb 13 2011, 07:08 PM)

Borginia=Germany.

Make that Hungary. Germany is alive and well in AA, as the following people proof: f_-_fran.gif f_-_karma.gif garyuu1.gif garyuu2.gif

Also, German culture is a lot different from what we have seen of Borginia yet.

It was canonially stated to be in Europe, if I remember right, so no South America, saddly...

This post has been edited by Neni on Feb 13 2011, 08:26 PM

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Court Docket | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2379 seconds | Archive