Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Work In Progress. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Stowage/cargo Webbing? How To Do It?
millest
Posted: Dec 11 2011, 10:14 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

hi guys
looking at mounting some articles on the tops/rears of some of my tanks but dont want to just hang it on there or strap it on with a single strap so was wondering does anyone have any tutorials, guides or information on how to model webbing cargo holders similar to this:
user posted image
user posted image

failing that does anyone know of any makers of kits/components that make them in an appropriate scale, mayeb for GI joes or similar?
cheers guys
millest

--------------------
Lord Balok
Posted: Dec 11 2011, 04:52 PM

Member No.: 5,810

I've not tried to make webbing like that, but I know that there have to be some companies out there that sell similar stuff as etched brass. There's a slew of companies that make after market conversion bits for modern, classic, and older real-world tank kits. I can't think of any of their names right now, but I'm pretty sure a quick interwebs search will find some of them.

Get the stuff made for 1/35 scale kits; that will be very close to the 28mm that GW professes their miniatures are made in.

--------------------
millest
Posted: Dec 11 2011, 05:50 PM

ive had a look but couldnt find anything suitable on the brass etch sites as they seem to deal with trains sad.gif if you can remember or find anything that would be awesome smile.gif
cheers

--------------------
BoBo_5
Posted: Dec 11 2011, 07:21 PM

Member No.: 2,016

I would say just mix up a pvc glue water mixture till its kind of milky. Then cut some paper strips and soak them in the mix. Lay them out of that you have and see how that goes. I have never tried this so don't quote me on it.
lone dirty dog
Posted: Dec 11 2011, 07:47 PM

Member No.: 3,193

You could use tin foil or a very thin copper foil cut in strips and build your own seen this done a lot in military modeller magazines.

--------------------
user posted image
Geronimo82
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 01:08 AM

Member No.: 1,103

QUOTE (millest @ Dec 11 2011, 05:50 PM)
ive had a look but couldnt find anything suitable on the brass etch sites as they seem to deal with trains sad.gif if you can remember or find anything that would be awesome smile.gif
cheers

The reason you won't find something like this is because it wouldn't be used on a tank. Your top image is used on cargo pallets and you would actually need two. Best bet: make your own. I had a pano shot of the top of my Styker in Iraq at one point, but seem to have deleted it. Though I do still have a shot of our pyro pile portion of it: http://geronimo82.deviantart.com/art/Pyro-273527026. We just used ALOT of single cargo straps.
Stapler
Posted: Dec 12 2011, 03:34 AM

Member No.: 1,175

Try gauze dressing pads. There come in different size and shapes. Even though most are used to simulate camo nets, some should look like a cargo holder... Simply fold or cut to size, PVA glue or superglue to shape, and then paint over!

HTH... wink.gif
Esty
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 07:26 AM

Member No.: 6,539

user posted image
Secret Weapon makes brass etch paniers for the backs of tanks

--------------------
user posted image
Lord Balok
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 07:58 AM

See? Told ya!

lol

Sorry.

It's late and I'm tired.

--------------------
wolflord
Posted: Dec 13 2011, 01:01 PM

Member No.: 442

Watered down pva glue and bandages?
Geronimo82
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 05:29 PM

Member No.: 1,103

QUOTE (Lord Balok @ Dec 13 2011, 07:58 AM)
See? Told ya!

lol

Sorry.

It's late and I'm tired.

He did ask for cargo webbing, not bustle racks.

Scratch.gif However, if you trim off the rivet plates, and combine two of them, that looks like cargo netting if painted OD green. Might be your best bet.
shadowhammer
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 06:55 PM

Member No.: 1,043

QUOTE (Geronimo82 @ Dec 14 2011, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (Lord Balok @ Dec 13 2011, 07:58 AM)
See? Told ya!

lol

Sorry.

It's late and I'm tired.

He did ask for cargo webbing, not bustle racks.

Scratch.gif However, if you trim off the rivet plates, and combine two of them, that looks like cargo netting if painted OD green. Might be your best bet.

Again, though, cargo netting isn't widely used on vehicles. Camo netting and cargo straps are.

--------------------
Paint hides a multitude of sins.
into the void
Adeptus_Morkanikus
Posted: Jan 1 2012, 10:46 PM

Member No.: 6,938

the green plastic tub that strawberries come in is a reasonable choice.
S7RYPE
Posted: Jan 1 2012, 11:25 PM

Member No.: 6,036

You can weave small strips of GS but that takes time and practice. I have not done it my self so i cannot tell you how :/

--------------------
There is nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.
millest
Posted: Jan 2 2012, 07:40 AM

ive tried a few things recently and none look great so ive picked some of these up to try:
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct...=4&product=2226

once they arrive and im home ill give them a go and let you all know how they turn out.
millest

--------------------
Lord Balok
Posted: Jan 2 2012, 07:02 PM

Wow. That might just do the trick for ya!

Nice site too.

--------------------
grandmasterspectre
Posted: Jan 6 2012, 04:13 AM

Member No.: 77

I've used the plastic webbing that some fruits (tomatoes or pears usually) come packaged in. It works well, but has proven to be problematic with paint becuase it's stretchy.

--------------------
Quantity has a quality all its own.
Deamon Huntress
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 01:19 AM

Keeper of the Faith

Member No.: 213

I always hand make netting and rigging for model ships, looks much better than the pre-made plastic stuff that comes with the models. I use different thicknesses of thread depending on the scale of the model. I usually start by cutting 2 pieces of thread the desired length and width of the netting, then tie one around the other at the end, leaving a little bit off the ends, then I put a tiny dot of fray stop on the knot so it doesn't come undone. You can also use super glue but it has that ghastly white color when it dries. Anyway, then I continue adding more threads down either the length or with start thread, at even intervals, depending on how tight or loose I want the netting to be, putting the fray stop on all the knots as I go. This is where it gets time consuming. Once I have threads all the way down the first one I start adding the cross threads, tying it to every thread that it runs across, putting the fray stop on all knots of course. Continue this until you've got a net. Although my explanation might not be the best, it's fairly simple, although time consuming.

As I was typing this it occurred to me that you could just use fishnets, as in like fishnets leggings, the tighter weave kind. The only problem I can see with using those is that they have stretch, which could be a problem depending on the application. A lot of craft stores that sell fabric also sell a fishnet like fabric that has no stretch to it, so that might work better, again, depending on application.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Well this is embarrassing, the entire thing that I just explained is more for rope like nets rather than the new flat style netting. Oh well, maybe someone will need to use rope style nets for something, so I'll leave the post, lol.

--------------------
MrBigMr
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 02:45 AM

Member No.: 1,773

Insect screen, anyone? It's basically a very fine net.
user posted image

Also, one way to work with any stretch or soft bits, is to glue if firmly over what ever cargo it might be holding. Camo nets need to be loose to break the form, but as everyone knows, loose cargo spells disaster, so it needs to be packed tight.
Lord Balok
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 08:13 AM

I've tried to work with that on many occasions, and it's always been a disaster. Skip it.

--------------------
shadowhammer
Posted: Mar 2 2012, 01:50 AM

Member No.: 1,043

QUOTE (Lord Balok @ Feb 22 2012, 01:13 AM)
I've tried to work with that on many occasions, and it's always been a disaster. Skip it.

Its great if you can find the old metal mesh, but the new plastic stuff is a real bear to work with if you're doing anything thats not flat.

--------------------
Paint hides a multitude of sins.
into the void
Buggus
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 05:44 AM

Member No.: 3,486

You can see what I used over in my IG forum under Buggus. I picked that stuff up at hobby lobby. It worked great on my ratling snipers giving them gulie suites and I just built the cargo racks out of card stock and such.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progre...showtopic=12326

(Trenchfoot)
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 03:06 AM

Member No.: 3,226

I used to use the little mesh bag thingies you get oranges in.. If you overlap it a few times with some clumps of sand n gravel, it also makes pretty funky tank n sniper camo biggrin.gif

http://susanmitchell.org/blog/wp-content/u...ges-300x240.jpg

--------------------
Please vote for me in the Halo 4 Soundtrack Competition to help me win a new Xbox 360 because I'm a cheapskate biggrin.gif
|
|
V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXhMZQS3hI
Vet Sgt
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 07:07 PM

Member No.: 6,518

user posted image

I made these using a heavy duty nylon thread. It looks very complicated but was actually very easy to do. To do the top of the nets I made a simple loom and tied two sets of five “ropes” going perpendicular to each other. Then it was draped over the pallets with five ropes hanging down each side. The sides are then wrapped around tying as you go around the pallet. The knots are simple overhand knots with a dab of superglue to keep them from slipping.

--------------------

If you like my stuff check out my blog on terrain making.18Charlie
Fosner1703
Posted: May 8 2012, 04:52 PM

Member No.: 5,844

Did you make the Chain Link also? I have been trying to find a good source or cheap way to make the 28mm chainlink fences.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1007 seconds | Archive
This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited, Privateer Press, Infinity, Mongoose or any other Hobby, Model or Gaming Company.

Dragonforge

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com