Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Work In Progress. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Brother Weasel Starts Over..., Painting blog
Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 8 2011, 08:15 PM

Evil Admin #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 214

OK, here is the skinny, and the fat.

In 2008 I hit the pinnacle of my painting career... bronze demon. Then in 2009 my twins were born. While i was still able to get some painting in (i did paint someone else s army, and a few one offs) my skills and abilities have diminished considerably.

So here we are, 2011, and I'm back.

What does this mean, and why the hell am I boring you with a blog about it...

I've dedicated myself to get my skill back and go beyond what I used to do, relearning how to paint, and learning how to paint to levels I know i can do, eventually. I'm blogging it mostly to give me a place to talk things out with myself and track my improvements and ideas as I go forward... Why here.. well duh, this is my internet home away from home. I'll probably post things in various other sites (so don't be surprised) as I feel like it and want the input from other places.

What all will be in this blog... who knows... But as I move on when I find things I'm looking at on the internet, other blogs or tutorials, I'll link em here. Products I decide i need while doing it, i'll link it here (if I can, I have 10 years of stuff as it is, i don't plan on telling you where I bought some glue or something 10 years ago:)

It's going to start slow, as i'm working on some hordes minis for someone, and won't be trying out much on them.. mostly they are just my "get back in the groove" minis...

Now... some paint philosophy... Simply put, the ultimate goal of painting, to me, is not i can do this super hard technique... it's i can make this look good... what does that mean? It means that there are no rules to painting, if it gets you where you want to go. if it takes me 30 hours paint a sword and i can get the same results with a wash, then i'll use the wash, but if it takes me 30 hours to paint the sword and that's just how it is, then so be it... i'm patient, but i don't like to waste time. in the end i just want the minis i paint to look as good as i can make em, and better then the last one.

now, i have several things to learn how to do, from single minis to tanks, from paint brushes to air brushes... but i'm going to take my time, soak up any information i can get from any source i can get it from. I have a few friends who paint, I have a lot of internet connections who paint... so we will see where it leads us, maybe some day i'll be able to get to another games day and enter and do well.

some day soon i'll start with the tools i have on hand...

--------------------
user posted image
Lucius von Kalteisen
Posted: Aug 9 2011, 08:25 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,026

Sounds great BW! I will surely follow your progress keenly and hopefully try to soak in stuff myself you discover on this journey.

LvK

--------------------
- oderint dum meduant -

my sale/trade post (Baneblade, SM, RT era stuff):
http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progre...showtopic=13493
Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 9 2011, 08:22 PM

Evil Admin #1

Thannks LVK hopefully it won't suck to bad:)

well lets start with my workspace...

this is where i do all the work minus spraying. it's the corner of my livingroom, blocked off with a couch and screen so the kids can't get in easy (though they still get in) you'll notice the toolbox is locked up... kids have learned to open paint bottles...

user posted image

you can also see the actual desk i work at, books above me, a computer monitor that's hooked up to nothing, various odds and ends... (oh look orange horde minis...)

one of the cubbys is basically my glue cubby

user posted image

several types of glue, as well as miliput, plastic card, and rods, a template for circles and a few odds and ends...

the toolbox is what's important here, but ignore the jury duty notice.. on the front you'll notice i have my files magnatized to it, on that same side on the side itself i have more mags and blue tac (all the things that need to be handy at all times)

user posted image

ok, next up is what's in the thing...

ther very top, sprue storage (mostly things i havn't had time to cut up, or not sure what the heck i'm gonna do with)
the top 6 small drawers... top row, left to right.
tools, bigger ones that i dont' use as much, razor saw, jewelers saw, pipe benders...
followed by my FW bitz drawer.. various things in there including Dragon Forge cables and various FW bitz. last one has a tupperware box with pine sol in it, currently stripping a dozen or so minis i was given, been in there for 6 months or so:) (no need to pull em out yet)

next row down is my smaller tools, xacto, sculpter, green stuff, cutters, pin vices (yes i have 3) ect... middle is some necron bits and old ba termis, why they have their own drawer is beyond me, but there they sit.. last is my sandpaper drawer!
user posted image

the next 3 down are important... top is the vellejo paint drawer followed by the gw one.
the bottom is where my airbrush currently lives as well as soem custom ork things i worked on and all the guns for my baal pred conversion (all magged to the walls) as well as the paints i'm currently using on the hordes (saves me from having to remember what color i was using)

user posted image

the next too arn't as interesting, the top on is basically stuff i started and need to finish (lost inspiration or something with them) and the next one is my Blood Angels drawer, where all the BA stuff i'm working on is.

user posted image

that's followed by my tank and "DONE" drawer, simply my tanks didn't fitr in the BA one, and i need to lock up the hordes minis i've finished, so that's where they go when they are done.
and my drawer of usb cables and spray paints...

user posted image

that's followed by my bitz drawe, i have 12 i think of those containers all bitz neetly orginized (woohoo OCD!)

user posted image

under the desk is my travel kit (a toolbox for me to take a few things places when needed as well as my gloves for spraying (dont' wanna turn my arm blue!) paper toweles, box to spray on..

user posted image

and the most important tools

user posted image

right now i'm using Raphael's along with a few series 7, i also really like escoda (i need to grab me a few more of those)....

ok, think that's all for now:)

--------------------
user posted image
LOMAXXDURANG
Posted: Aug 9 2011, 11:35 PM

Member No.: 6,341

I would give my best friends left leg for your junk drawer.

--------------------
Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 9 2011, 11:37 PM

Evil Admin #1

QUOTE (LOMAXXDURANG @ Aug 9 2011, 04:35 PM)
I would give my best friends left leg for your junk drawer.

witch drawer is the junk one?smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Lucius von Kalteisen
Posted: Aug 10 2011, 09:52 AM

Looking good BW! I just wish I could have my hobby space that organised... or maybe you had your station looking that good just for the pics? wink.gif

So painting related question: what made you choose your current airbrush, what qualities one needs to look for in them? And how about the compressor?

thanks for the info,

LvK

--------------------
- oderint dum meduant -

Stapler
Posted: Aug 10 2011, 11:36 AM

Member No.: 1,175

Looking great at your current setup! Expect to see something "painted" posted from you soon!

Like yourself, I had not done much lately... only on and off painting a few minis... but spend a good deal of time perfecting sculpting! Will post something soon!

happy.gif
Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 10 2011, 03:44 PM

Evil Admin #1

QUOTE (Lucius von Kalteisen @ Aug 10 2011, 02:52 AM)
Looking good BW! I just wish I could have my hobby space that organised... or maybe you had your station looking that good just for the pics? wink.gif

So painting related question: what made you choose your current airbrush, what qualities one needs to look for in them? And how about the compressor?

thanks for the info,

LvK

I just like to be orginized, comes in handy with 3 kids, but i've always been the guy who likes things to go places:)

My Airbrush... good questions... i have this
user posted image

That's a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity 2 in 1 airbrush and a Iwata Smart Jet Pro... I'd like to say i spend months researching what i wanted, but i didn't, simply i knew some basics i wanted.

First: quality, i wanted something that wasn't just cheap plastic (i have one of those in the GW spraygun) something that i could do more then tanks with (which is something i wanted it for, actually i have a titan that i want to do right and don't think a paintbrush could do it) but i'd like to do other stuff with it.. i used to own an aztek many years ago, so i'm not completly blind about it.

Second: needed to be dual action (of course) with a gravity feed (my old one was side fed, i didn't like that, and the gw one is bottom feed, but the pots tend to fall out, just ask my back yard where i had it spill a lot of foundation yellow)

but it really came down to asking a few people, and taking the advice of one of the painters i admire most (OllieKickflip) who loves it.

the compressor was easy, get a quality brand name.. i got that one on a package deal

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/haststse.html

they also have other brands of airbrush is you'd prefer.

the last piece of advice on em, if you are really interested in them and go to buy one, buy the best you can afford, this brush is way out of my league right now, but when i get better (yes when) then my tools won't be holding me back.

QUOTE (Stapler)
Looking great at your current setup! Expect to see something "painted" posted from you soon!

Like yourself, I had not done much lately... only on and off painting a few minis... but spend a good deal of time perfecting sculpting! Will post something soon!

well you can look in my Hordes post that has what i'm currently gearing up on:)

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progre...showtopic=17572

can't wait to see some of your sculpts, always great stuff from you... heck i still hold the baneblade build as vital info for when i do my own!:)

--------------------
user posted image
Lucius von Kalteisen
Posted: Aug 14 2011, 06:15 PM

Many thanks, once again, for the extensive info on the airbrush and compressor issue. I have been thinking of getting them, sooner or later, for some time already, but I think I haven't yet got urgent need for it. Then again it would be better to have proper gaming room/man-hole. Now me and missus share our working room, which is very fine by me but airbrush activity could prove unwanted smile.gif

What kind of paints are you using with the airbrush by the way? Any particular brand, eg. Vallejo Air, or do you do/plan to do your own mixtures?

Cheers,

LvK

--------------------
- oderint dum meduant -

Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 18 2011, 09:20 PM

Evil Admin #1

Ok, so today I'll talk about a few things (while i watch Alphas on dvr)

first, i live in Southern California... that lets me do this

user posted image

yes, outside painting, because of these

user posted image

the twins like to be close, makes painting in my area hard to do, so this lets them run around, and allows me to throw paint on minis...

now you'll see that on the table is a paint pallet and one pot of paint.. i'm just blocking out metal on the hordes guys.

this brings me to several thoughts.

First, what is my ultimate goal with all this... Simply put, it's to win a slayer sword. I know, i know, the odds of me ever winning one, or even being close, but that's the goal. this means i'll probably always be trying to get better, and that's a good thing. Now some thoughts on painting competitions...

first.. they are [I Swear Too Much].smile.gif yes, i said it... i don't mean it, mostly, but they are subjective. By that i mean there is no set criteria for winning. you have to paint a minis good, and for GW they like the mini to tell a story. but what wins is up to how the judge feels, and that means I may never win, if the stile i paint isn't what they want that week.. case and point...

user posted image

user posted image Better pics here http://www.coolminiornot.com/284573

now, both are EXCELENTLY painted minis, both in fact are slayer winners, and both are done by Vincent Hudon.

strangly, i like magmatrax better then roadrippa.. but you can see how his stile has changed a lot.. NMM is out, lots of subtly etc, but it doens't pop like magmatrax... but no way magmatrax wins now.. why, has painting improved so much in the last few years? not really, it's simply what people want that has changed. when magmatrax won, if you didn't have nmm, you probably wouldn't win

http://demonwinner.free.fr/canada/2004/gol...php?categorie=2

the winners of the 40k single that year... all nmm... now realism is what wins...

what's the point in it all... why am i babbling about this...

well several reasons, first.. i dn't actualy paint to win awards. i paint because it's what i like to do. I don't plan on learnign to paint a spacific stile just to win an award, i want to paint in a stile i like, and become really good at it.

like this mini

user posted image

Ervren did this one back in 08, i absolutely LOVE the white.. if i could paint all my white like that, i'd be in heaven (and i plan to, and blog about it) but i don't want to paint magmatrax or roadrippa, both don't suit me the way i want minis to look... but BOTH have qualities i like, and both are painted supurb.

te other reason... not everyone wants to paint (or at least not learn to paint) to a slayer level, and that's fine... my friend paints his minis fast and easy, they look fine, but he mostly just wants them on the table to play (yes i play too, i have a lot of Blood angels, a big ork horde and am collecting parts to build a DE army (i'm looking at you LuckyNo 5, inspiration aplenty in your kabal!) and that's cool, no one can tell you if you are right or wrong... as long as it comes out how you want.

You'll also notice, way back at the beginning of the post, that i have 1 paint pot and a deep well pallet... don't get used to it. i'm not currently "learning"to paint, i'm painting something the way i already know how so that i can finish (as GD might actualy want his minis this year, unlike Steven Tarsie, who i've had his Space Hulk for almost 2 years...) GD wants to play, Steven wants to play too, but he also wants me to do them well:)

well i think that's enough for now... oh one more pic... my painting buddy

user posted image

Oh LVK i'll use whatever paint i need to, Vellejo Air would be first chouse, but i'm learnign (or will be) how to thin GW VMG P3, whatever i need for the color i want, never limit for the sake of ease)

--------------------
user posted image
T.C.
Posted: Aug 19 2011, 07:24 PM

Member No.: 4,133

Inspirational reading thumbs_up.gif
Seeing as theres nothing on TV tonight I might just go and do some painting for once!

I'd love to know which of the entries was yours in 2008. I'm guessing it was at the LA gamesday?

As regards GD fashions, one thing I think I've observed, although I've hardly made a scientific study of it so I could be mistaken, is that Nurgle and Ork entries seem to make up a decent proportion of winners each year. Orks especially, I guess, lend themselves to characterful/story pieces. Victoria Lamb's 'Squabble' being a perfect example, or this years Slayer for that matter.

PS. Whats 'Alphas'? Is it a TV show?

--------------------
Who's intellectual close friends get to call him T.C.
Providing it's with dignity.
Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 19 2011, 07:28 PM

Evil Admin #1

QUOTE (T.C. @ Aug 19 2011, 12:24 PM)
Inspirational reading  thumbs_up.gif
Seeing as theres nothing on TV tonight I might just go and do some painting for once!

I'd love to know which of the entries was yours in 2008. I'm guessing it was at the LA gamesday?

As regards GD fashions, one thing I think I've observed, although I've hardly made a scientific study of it so I could be mistaken, is that Nurgle and Ork entries seem to make up a decent proportion of winners each year. Orks especially, I guess, lend themselves to characterful/story pieces. Victoria Lamb's 'Squabble' being a perfect example, or this years Slayer for that matter.

PS. Whats 'Alphas'? Is it a TV show?

yes gdla 2008

alphas is a tv show on sci fi, pretty decent.

speaking of winning orks...

user posted image

yes, the story telling for orks and nurgle make it a little easier, though it's not a science:) the demons are indeed about story telling and painting...

http://demonwinner.free.fr/usa/2008Los_Ang...php?categorie=3

tha'ts the winners of the category, mr olliekickflip has the silver.

--------------------
user posted image
Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 19 2011, 09:14 PM

Evil Admin #1

So while I sit on my couch hopeing the boys will take a nap, I was doing what I do all the time, thinking minis.

Now i know this is supposed to be a painting blog, and well notighings been painted yet, and frankly, it probably won't be for a while. I ave some obligations to finish up before i get to the actual "learn to paint" phase of this thing, and i also have to figure out what exactly i want to do, as (and here is the point of the post) i have more ideas then time.

What does that mean, well i'm sure most of you probably have the same problem i do, there is just to much to do, and frankly no time to do it all in.

Just today i came up with yet another conversion (on a tank) that i'm dying to make, but i have 5 made tanks that need to be painted as it is, do i really need another one (it's a whirlwind) and what army would it go to, as i have my blood angles, but seriously consider painting what's left as lemanters because of the yellow Imperial Fists i did last year

user posted image

user posted image

easier to do then the red, and well i have some 7000 ish points of BA anyways, do i need that much more red?

(on a side not i mentioned white in an earlier post, i really want to do an all white death company army!)

but i have ideas all over the place, more orks, more marines, one off scenes, this that the other... and that's all unpainted, at some point i Have to paint stuff!

i like me one off minis to tell stories

user posted image

but i like my game minis to make sence (and not be fragile)

again, i got side tracked on my thought and that's really my point at the same time... forst, insparation. I get insparation from other minis, movies, random things.. some days i see somethign at it makes me go.. well that's a good start, but what if... other times i'll be reading a book (i read a lot, and ther eis actualty warhammer stuff anywhere i sit in my house, every room has somethign for me to pick up and read) I mean i have ideas for stuff for my orks from death race, my whily idea happened because of forge worlds new rlease, i've seen light up necrons that i think i could do a betterjob on... i just get ideas...

part 2.. how focued are you on your task at hand... 2 things come up with that.. if you are singualry focused, you'll probably get the desired results fast... but and her eis were i am at all the time... if i don't do the other thing in my head, it will generaly drag my other work down, as i want to do that other thing to much.. so you have to ask yourself, is not doing your ideas gonna impeed your work?

lets take my Wazdakka, how it came about and what not...

for a few years i would paint minis spacificaly to enter into the demons, i did ok, but never won, witch wasn't a big deal. i hadn't played 40k in a while as my forends were all over the place and what not. so i spent most of my time just doing one off minis (kind of liberating as i wasn't stuck painting one color, but i always reign myself in by making sure the mini is game legal and what not as i start it, though some end up not becaus eof rule changes) I had contemplated starting several armies and finlaly started orks, I decided i wanted speed freeks (that has changed) and stoared getting models ect.

well, i wanted wazdakka as my general, so i started researching him and reading stories of him etc, and decided thaqt he shold be on a jet bike, and i just happen to have the Master of the ravenwing around... then i got an idea for the base, to make it diffrent...so i pulled out the mini, and looked, mostly going well this idea here is cool, i shold copy that idea, do this do that.. when i hit that light bulb moment... if i changed a few things around, cut some stuff off, i could use it as a base to make the mini. i spent several days just taking off parts ont he bike and fixing things before i even added the ork parts... well by the time it was done i had a cool mini, painted it up with all my skill of the time, and put it to the side... Games day was comming and i had to get some minis in line for it...

well, i wasn't into. all my ideas i had floating in my head, nothign came out and said, this needs to be done.. so as the day got closer i wasn't going to enter, figured it wasn't a big deal, the wife was going to go with me that year, it would be a good time. well as the dame came, on a whim i grabbed Wazy and said, to myself, i spent enough tom eon ehim, he shold at least go...

so on te way back from lunch with the wife and my friends, i stop to do somethign for a few minutes (probably talking to someone) when the wife comes out all smiles and says is bronze good? needless to say i nearly sprinted to the display to see if i won or if i was going to have to plan her funeral...

is bronze winning? short answer, yes! i still look at that demon (you can see it in my pics) as a reminder that for one fleeting moment i did somethign worth notice... (sadly this is the same year they stopped putting the pics in white dwarf, go figure i can get my honorable mention in the year before, but the year i win something, nadda!)

yes, i talk to much, yes it probably makes little sence... give me time, when i start actualy doing minis you'll all be happier!

--------------------
user posted image
GreyDeath
Posted: Aug 22 2011, 02:54 PM

Creator Of W.I.P.

Member No.: 1

Wow I have never heard you talk so much.
I agree with almost every point you make and belive it.

I look forward to seeing more of your work and good luck with your do over.

I have always thought your work is top notch and like it greatly.

thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
user posted image

Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 22 2011, 04:27 PM

Evil Admin #1

QUOTE (GreyDeath @ Aug 22 2011, 07:54 AM)
Wow I have never heard you talk so much.
I agree with almost every point you make and belive it.

I look forward to seeing more of your work and good luck with your do over.

I have always thought your work is top notch and like it greatly.

thumbs_up.gif

I am long winded when it comes to things I enjoy... 40k and painting fit that bill:)

I used to paint good, now i paint OK, you'll seeon yout minis, they are farfrom perfect, but then i'll probably have to paint you a showcase one at some point:)

--------------------
user posted image
Shi'ur
Posted: Aug 23 2011, 03:37 AM

Crisis Suit King
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5

QUOTE (Brother Weasel @ Aug 22 2011, 11:27 AM)
I used to paint good, now i paint OK...

I'm sure that you'll get back to your old self in no time. happy.gif

It's just like riding a bike... you never forget, you just need to jump back on and do it. Then it'll all come back to you. wink.gif

My painting skills have come back to me relatively quickly, so should yours. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
user posted image
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."
Converting isn't a skill... it's a way of life!
Lucius von Kalteisen
Posted: Aug 23 2011, 05:50 PM

Lovely kids Weasel, and cute dog, as well. Your painting station at outside looks inspiring, too bad paintingwise here we have lots of snow and freezing weather part of the year.

Nevertheless, once again very interesting reading your thoughts about this part of hobby.

Keep on pouring your soul to us! cool.gif thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
- oderint dum meduant -

Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 23 2011, 05:54 PM

Evil Admin #1

QUOTE (Lucius von Kalteisen @ Aug 23 2011, 10:50 AM)
Lovely kids Weasel, and cute dog, as well. Your painting station at outside looks inspiring, too bad paintingwise here we have lots of snow and freezing weather part of the year.

Nevertheless, once again very interesting reading your thoughts about this part of hobby.

Keep on pouring your soul to us! cool.gif thumbs_up.gif

Yea, living in southern california has it's weather benefits, i've been able to get an hour or 2 in every day while painting outside... and it alsmo means that little times throughout the year that the weather is so bad i cna't do some priming or dull coteing:)

i',ll keep babling though, i have lots of thoughts in relation to painting and minis in general, now if my head would stop hurting i'd be seeing if the kids wanted to go outside for a bit:)

--------------------
user posted image
Brother Weasel
Posted: Aug 23 2011, 07:34 PM

Evil Admin #1

Ok, so here i sit, kids eating mac and cheese, while i nurse a massive headache, (i think i need new glasses) I did the best thing for headaches, started reading painting tutorials...

That brought me to a question i've been asked, and have even asked myself in the past... what's the best paint tutorial.

I'll give you the standard answer... no such thing.

but I'm a nice guy, and i'll give you more info as to why, and how to find what your looking for...

the most important thing to realize when you are learning or refining your skills, is you need to know what you are looking for... with this, we are looking for spacific paint stiles to start with. IE, learn to paint form people who paint minis you want to do!

If you want to paint a mini like magmatrax, go see if there is a toot on it... if there isn't (and there is here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...owtopic=105449) then find out who painted it and see if they have a web site, or place they paint a lot (Victor is in several places, B&C, coolmini) now i dnt' want to paint magmatrax, but he has smooth blends... i look at a lot of toots in general just to see hwo things are accomplished...

now I like the way Aaron Lovejoy paints (Olliekickflip) turns out he lives decently close by (a 5-6 hour drive) and is a hell of a guy.. but when i started talking to him, he didn't have any toots or sites, so i just messeged him, most painters will gladly talk about painting!) since then i've been luckey enough to meet up with him at games day and even go to his house for a few lessons, sadly i forgot parts of what he's said:) but now he has toots! so today i was looking through my links and stumbled upon his... and it's years old, but still a great toot http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?...050&hl=blending

antoher thing is look to who they like too, Aaron took a lot of his ques from Jérémie Bonamant and some from victor, who also learned from Jereme... so if you like Aaron, go find Jérémie Bonamant (it's in french http://www.jeremiebt.com/index.php?page=siteuk)

but in reading it i realized that one of the things i like is that he tells you somethign most people don't... you won't be good by reading his toot. not going to happen... all that is going to make you good is to do it, alot! whatever stile you try to emulate, whatever look you go for, without practice you are [I Swear Too Much]!

I have a small collection of sites that have toots on them that i like (i'm currently trying to figure out an easy way to get a txt document with images (not links) so that i can save some of these and edit them, even with my computer nerdness i cna't seam to get that to work, unless i save the images by hand and re edit them, witch i dont' want to do) some have lots of toots tht are good, soem have a few with a lot of garbage... but if i grab somethign off a toot, i'll try and link the toot as well... (though i'd expect Ollies to pop up a few times)

Now, find an artist you like and get to searching!

--------------------
user posted image
Brother Weasel
Posted: Sep 5 2011, 04:45 PM

Evil Admin #1

Yes, it's been a few days... i'm still dead stuck in the middle of doing the Hordes guys, but still on the hunt for information while i get ideas and think think think.

I can always tell when i'm in paint mode, it's when i look at simple things, like back of my house, and wonder how to paint it in mini scale:)

I have thoughta lot and discoverd my biggest problem, besides having kids:) i want to do about 4 diffrent things at all times:) I have an idea for an army, i have 150ish orks to paint, several thousand points of SM to finish, a titan to build and paint and an airbrush to learn... smile.gif

oh well... hopefully i'll have some minis to post next time (i'm trying to decide what to try and paint first...)

--------------------
user posted image
Chris_The_Invincible
Posted: Sep 13 2011, 10:13 PM

Member No.: 5,784

This is very inspiring and educating to me, as the hobby-novice I still am (only been painting and such for a handful of years).
I saw earlier in a post the question about airbrushes. I don't know much about it but a lot of painters I admire use Badger airbrushes.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/

great thread you've got going here Weasel.
Brother Weasel
Posted: Sep 14 2011, 03:30 AM

Evil Admin #1

Thank, i just want to learn to do it better, and if in my attemp to do so it brings people up and challenges them to learn more, excellent! I'm not going to hold back on what i think or say:)

As for airbrushes, badger makes some good ones, iwata, micron, several others... If you know someone who uses a brush and recomends it, then go that route, asthey will be able to help you wth spacifics, i happen to know someone with my brush, so thats the route i went:)

Its actualy the same with paint brushes, try ones tha people you know or respect use, then use the one YOU like, or in my case the 4 brands i like:)

--------------------
user posted image
Brother Weasel
Posted: Oct 6 2011, 08:59 PM

Evil Admin #1

But Brother Weasel, it's been weeks since we've heard from you, and I still don't see any painitng going on..!

yea, i'm here to tell you, life can and does get in the way of doing what you want:) It's been about a week since i put any paint to mini... varisou family health issues, and having young kids... i tell yea, makes sitting in the hair hard to do.. sadly it's what i'd like to be doing the most...

BUT, i'm still here, and i still plan get it going, i just need to finish those hordes guys and then get my act in gear!

Now onto the fun stuff i suppose... i wanna know how often you guys (if anyone is bothering to read this thing) get ideas for minis... it seams to happen to me about every few days.. i'll see somethignand go, hrm.. that would make a good idea for....

just seams interesting:)

--------------------
user posted image
Typhoid_Garry
Posted: Oct 6 2011, 10:43 PM

Master Converter

Member No.: 627

I carry a pocket moleskine sketchbook most of the time. I don't doodle in it every day, but it's nice to have if/when inspiration strikes. I'd say I break it out at least every three or four nights at work, and about once a week when I can't sleep even if it's just to flesh out older sketches.

--------------------
"The entire Eldar race seems intelligent enough that they shouldn't need caution markings on their vehicles." -Me

My current eBay
Brother Weasel
Posted: Oct 7 2011, 12:19 AM

Evil Admin #1

Interedti g... I personly dont scetch, as i
Not very good at it, i do have various writings of descriptions, strangly again, tbty arnt full descriptions, usualy hey are my original thoughts, thet remind ofthe idea.. Sometimes if im around a computer when i get the thought ill do some research o. Ideas, with i have a folder of on my desktop...

Oh well:) i need to thi k up a list fr a game at the local gw...smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1803 seconds | Archive
This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited, Privateer Press, Infinity, Mongoose or any other Hobby, Model or Gaming Company.

Dragonforge

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com