InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Work In Progress. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

501st Dhofarian Orbital, Imperial Guard Drop Regiment
danwilkie
Posted: May 12 2011, 08:16 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,255

Good morning ladies(?) and gents,

I've been absent for quite some time, a new baby, house move etc has kept me pretty far away, but now I'm back. And between my Stargrunt and 40k armies I'm working on, I've also been pretty busy biggrin.gif

So I want to share with you the first of my new guard regiment, the 501st Dhofarian ODST - please let me know what you think, both of the colour scheme, and the general look and feel.

I'm thinking of changing the colour scheme for a tan/brown/green scheme a little bit like multicam (though nowhere near as complicated) since I think it would look less odd on desert/temperate/jungle terrain.

I'll just link straight to my blog page as it has all the images in a nice order smile.gif

http://tinytroopers.wordpress.com/2011/05/...ardsman-atkins/

Oh go on then, one picture just to draw you in...

user posted image

I do appreciate my painting is not up to the standard of many (any?) on here, but in my defence a) It's a test mini and cool.gif I suck :p

--------------------
user posted image
toastergargletop
Posted: May 12 2011, 11:36 AM

Member No.: 2,864

Really cool. I like the head (its a Pig Iron right?) and the visor is painted really well.

The rest of the mini is painted well enough for any army you would throw down on the tabletop, but IMO you could kick this up a notch just by using some washes.

What are your thoughts on how you will base them?

--------------------
Voodoo
Posted: May 12 2011, 02:50 PM

Member No.: 2,509

As a member of the 501st legion, I give this project a big heaping seal of approval. That man looks like he is ready for real combat. Great pose, great color scheme. I think you are really underestimating yourself as a painter.

The only time I tested an urban camo scheme I had friends point out how difficult it would be to highlight the figs. I think the wash idea is a great one to try. I, on the other hand, changed my scheme. Give it a go.

The second suggestion I would make would be base in grey (urban) or brown instead of green. I know, brown seems wrong but check out the new studio Grey Knight army. I was really surprised. I think it will work on either urban or green boards. I plan on trying it myself.

Lastly, I know that this is a test fig., but just in case, make sure to give those mold lines a once-over. That makes a huge difference in how finished the fig. looks when it is painted.

I am going to check blog but keep us posted here. I can't wait to see whole units of these guys. Great job.
danwilkie
Posted: Jul 26 2011, 07:32 AM

Member No.: 2,255

Sorry for the massively slow response, I moved house and my 3 month old daughter is taking her toll on my free time :p

I have finally managed to finish most of the assembly on another 5, so I'll get them painted up (and yes, I filed off the mold lines wink.gif ) and pictures up soon, possibly a whole squad.

A friend of mine saw it last night and has decided to buy a whole bunch of the pig iron heads for his Cadians too, so we might even have more than one force which would be cool.

Only thing I need to think about is the squad markings, the decals don't really work for me, I think they're all about 10 years old and they just won't stick :p

Unfortunately they're going to be competing for time with my Space Wolves and Supermarines, as I wanted at least one army I could be certain wouldn't be turned down should I ever decide to go to a tournament (pig iron heads got my friends Storm Troopers refused at a grand tournament a while ago sad.gif )

--------------------
user posted image
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0840 seconds | Archive
This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited, Privateer Press, Infinity, Mongoose or any other Hobby, Model or Gaming Company.

Dragonforge

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com