InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Work In Progress. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Metal Gear Tau Rex
Caiin
Posted: Sep 12 2010, 08:13 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 925

Yes, that’s right; I am going to build a Metal Gear for my Tau army. I love Tau, but I really miss those titans. I know that they are not part of the Tau background, but what the heck.

For those of you who don’t know Metal Gear, it is a popular game on several game consoles, but the most well-known ones are on Playstation. In most of these games, Metal Gear is the final boss.

To build the Metal Gear I bought 5 Piranhas and 1 Sky Ray. I will combine these models and add some plastic card and stuff from my bit box.

So far I’ve been working on the legs and part of the torso. The 9th of October is the deadline, so expect some new pictures soon.

Cheers

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------
Rivets rule!
Bill
Posted: Sep 12 2010, 08:49 PM

Member No.: 3,449

Great start! The hip joints look kind of big though. Have you considered using plastic beads instead? They're available in a variety of sizes and available at craft and sewing shops.
cortex
Posted: Sep 13 2010, 12:01 AM

Member No.: 1,556

nice starti also think the ball joints are a little on the large side but then depending on the size of the leg mite help.
Caiin
Posted: Sep 13 2010, 06:44 AM

Thanks guys.

The joint balls are already fixed in place. They look big indeed, but this is only the lower part of the torso. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

--------------------
Rivets rule!
Loki
Posted: Sep 13 2010, 07:03 AM

Member No.: 2,448

Now I'm going to be VERY curious about the construction of those legs, Caiin.. Nineth of October.. that's.. *calculating* Dear God.. You're going to build -and possibly paint- this beauty in a MONTH?!? blink.gif

Well, good luck, Caiin.. In the meantime, don't mind me as I carefully study the pics considering the legs, and take notes..

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

Klaus, not Santa
Posted: Sep 13 2010, 08:25 AM

Proud Member of W.I.P.

Member No.: 1,680

Hello Caiin,
I'm very sorry the IG lost you to the Tau, but wow! This is really a great start.
The pose of the Metal Gear looks very dynamic and powerfull - so I hope you can capture it properly.
I agree with the others on the hip joints, but since they're already in place, I really hope it will work out fine - but it's a Titan after all, and they are big, aren't they smile.gif

Looking at your image with the "feet"; great start and excellent use of the parts. However, I hope the joints are not glued in place yet, the feet/lower-leg is a bit too flat compared to the original pose image.

I really look forward to how this will develop.
Cheers
Klaus

--------------------
user posted image
Blacca
Posted: Sep 13 2010, 09:49 AM

ZoneTripper

Member No.: 712

I just cant wait to see how this develops.
This is gonna be one speedy buildjob.
Its almost...not you... All those compromises to be made lmao.gif
Blacca

--------------------
Gaining victory in battle to the whole world’s acclaim is not absolute perfection…
Sun-Tzu
MrBigMr
Posted: Sep 13 2010, 04:08 PM

Member No.: 1,773

SSSNNNAAAAAAKE!

I'll be monitoring this thread. I've always wanted a REX titan, but never found a suitable model. Would make a nice Warhound. Mega Bolters as the vulcan cannons and turbo-laser as the railgun.
Caiin
Posted: Sep 13 2010, 09:12 PM

@Loki: Be my guest. Sharing ideas is what this place is all about, is it not? And I know, it’s a race against the clock…

@Klaus: The picture below is taken from a different angle and I’ve done some work on the legs too. They look less flat at this angle. I will also be adding more parts to the upper leg to make them less flat.

@Blacca: Please promise me to keep it easy next month. It would be a shame to lose this creation on the first turn. It will else not be worth all those sleepless nights yet to come wink.gif

@MrBigMr: This one will of course not be an exact copy, but I might build one for the Imperium someday.

user posted image

--------------------
Rivets rule!
Loki
Posted: Sep 13 2010, 09:43 PM

*takes notes*
So, the legs consists of two Piranha's each? Dang costly build this actually is, might I add. Is that a Fusion Blaster that connects the piranha ramjet to the lower leg/foot? Wouldn't it be better to incorporate it into the lower foot?

Hmm.. just found out by cutting the piranha hull in two, One can achieve -almost- the same design, albeit a bit.. squat version. Scratch.gif

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

Caiin
Posted: Sep 14 2010, 10:36 AM

That is indeed a Fusion Blaster. These parts aren’t glued yet and I put them there to give an idea of what I have in mind. I might bring the ramjet a little to the front.

--------------------
Rivets rule!
Blacca
Posted: Sep 14 2010, 06:52 PM

ZoneTripper

Member No.: 712

@Blacca: Please promise me to keep it easy next month. It would be a shame to lose this creation on the first turn. It will else not be worth all those sleepless nights yet to come wink.gif

Sleep is overrated, although railgunz worry me a bit
user posted image
I feel privileged to have you as an adversary.

Cheers mate

thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Gaining victory in battle to the whole world’s acclaim is not absolute perfection…
Sun-Tzu
Caiin
Posted: Sep 19 2010, 04:19 PM

@Blacca: If that is a recent picture then I am not the only one who is in a hurry wink.gif. I am looking forward to this battle.

Time for an update. The legs are attached and I gave him some toenails and heels so he won’t collapse. I am now working on his head. I want to be able to open the cabin, so that will be a small challenge.

All in all I am happy with the speed of progress.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------
Rivets rule!
TheHauptmann
Posted: Sep 19 2010, 09:32 PM

Member No.: 3,448

Haha! Wiener gun.

--------------------
Like my work? You can see more at: Shackled Goblin Studios
MrBigMr
Posted: Sep 20 2010, 07:05 PM

Caiin, have I ever told you I love you, man (no homo)?
Tech Adept
Posted: Sep 20 2010, 07:56 PM

Member No.: 5,936

I think, the size of the hip joints is ok and You didn´t have to change them. The result turns out really good so far and You have catched the proportions of the "original" really well. In all, the high tech- mecha look of Rex is quite the best sample for a Tau titan.

Can You post some size comparsion pics, when You have finished this project, please? I would like to see, how big this model is in comparsion to a fire warrior.

Awesome and creative work, as usual! thumbs_up.gif
Loki
Posted: Sep 21 2010, 05:29 AM

Use paperclips to get moveable joints/hinges so the lower jaw of the Tau Rex can open and close. Ask The Damned Artificer for advice. He went bananas when constructing the cabin for his Knight Titan.

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

Caiin
Posted: Sep 21 2010, 10:46 AM

@TheHauptmann: I knew I would get such a reaction wink.gif. But it is the perfect place for a gun to keep those pesky infantry at bay. (Counts as Flechette Discharger) And the original model has also a weapon there, so I copied it.

@MrBigMr: uh.. Thanks? wink.gif

@Tech Adept: I didn’t change them at all, or is that what you meant. I will take some comparison pictures, no problem. Thanks for the compliment.

@Loki: I will keep that in mind. The cabin should first slide down and then open. Small magnets will keep the jaw in place when closed. While I made enough movable hinges during the Banablade Transformer project I think I will manage.

--------------------
Rivets rule!
Klaus, not Santa
Posted: Sep 21 2010, 01:27 PM

Proud Member of W.I.P.

Member No.: 1,680

hehe, nice little gun...eventhough....a Flamethrower in that position would've been even better :P

--------------------
user posted image
Caiin
Posted: Sep 21 2010, 05:06 PM

Little gun indeed... glad I kept the huge balls.

Man, where is this going... blink.gif

Time for serious business and get back to the cutting and gluing.

--------------------
Rivets rule!
MrBigMr
Posted: Sep 21 2010, 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Caiin @ Sep 21 2010, 10:46 AM)
@MrBigMr: uh.. Thanks? wink.gif

No, no, thank you.
*starts looking for some cheap devilfish and piranhas*

Maybe I won't mount Liquid on my Deathstrike Shagohod, but make one of these and have him pilot it. Already got Snake (Marbo) and Solidus (techpriest).

QUOTE (Caiin @ Sep 21 2010, 10:46 AM)
@TheHauptmann: I knew I would get such a reaction . But it is the perfect place for a gun to keep those pesky infantry at bay. (Counts as  Flechette Discharger) And the original model has also a weapon there, so I copied it.

As a huge MGS fan, I didn't find the gun that amusing, but a very good representation of the original design. REX had a free electron laser mounted there to ward off enemy infantry. It's a logical place to put it. Look what happened to that one titan in that one novel or something. A Russ drove right under it, where the Titan couldn't shoot, and destroyed it (though it did fall on the tank, destroying it as well). And in Battletech infantry with bombs are a bane to battlemech's legs (hence the ability to mount claymore mines on them to ward the enemy off).
Caiin
Posted: Sep 21 2010, 08:54 PM

@MrBigMr: You build a Shagohod? I have also considered to make one, but he is more suitable for the Imperial Guards. Great model by the way.
That’s a good explanation of the weapons usage. I can’t remember using it much either during the escape with Rex.

A quick one for this evening. Two shots of the cockpit where you can see part of the hinge at the back.

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------
Rivets rule!
Loki
Posted: Sep 22 2010, 05:58 AM

QUOTE (MrBigMr @ Sep 21 2010, 07:08 PM)
Look what happened to that one titan in that one novel or something. A Russ drove right under it, where the Titan couldn't shoot, and destroyed it (though it did fall on the tank, destroying it as well).

I believe that was the short story of a Leman Russ commander in a White Dwarf magazine featuring the full rules for the Imperial Guard Armoured Company, before the 5th ed. of Warhammer 40.000. Back in those days, facing such an army on the tabletop was a kind of phsychological warfare.. blink.gif

Hah, Caiin, the tau pilot's pose screams "FIRE FIRE FIRE!" Tau Rex is coming aloong quite nicely! keep up the good work! thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

Caiin
Posted: Sep 22 2010, 10:12 AM

I almost used a standard Fire Warrior helmed, but this is better.

--------------------
Rivets rule!
Coco
Posted: Sep 22 2010, 10:24 AM

Member No.: 2,253

My god this is awsome and thanks for showing me 3A toys. My only question is what happend to the baneblade?
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5057 seconds | Archive
This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited, Privateer Press, Infinity, Mongoose or any other Hobby, Model or Gaming Company.

Dragonforge

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com