Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Work In Progress. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Pre-heresy Stormbird
Bulldoguk
Posted: Jul 5 2009, 08:57 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,947

Well, now that Odin is finally back in the shop and more importantly off my sodding work bench I have room to move once again so I decided to make a start on this Stormbird idea. I'll be honest I have been asked to make this for Games day so my heart isnt really in it but it's sort of growing on me a little.

Most important factor was trying to build a presentable model with minimum effort, always my main objective!

Sooooo, finally found a use for that old mech dropship I am always tripping up over, together with another gi joe dragnhawk? toy I picked up for peanuts from ebay.

Two main reason I went for this union is a) The hawk is pretty damn close to one of the only pics I have found of the Stormbird (see below) and cool.gif I thought it would be nice fluff-wise to base both the Stormbird and the Storm Eagle Heavy Lifter I built a while ago (also based on the same toy) on the same pre-heresy templates. Simples!

Anyhow, here is the only pic I could find, this in essence is what I am using for inspiration
user posted image

While I ain't aiming for an exact copy (don't want to devote too much time to this project, I got Prototype and Overlord II to play)! I am hoping to keep the spirit and feel of the design
user posted image

Here are the basics which everything else will be built upon
user posted image

After simply snapping off the front and back of the dropship I was left with the cargo compartment which I unceremoniously just tacked onto the bottom of the hawk with a little hot glue and we're away!
user posted image
user posted image

Few hours Saturday morning snipping and slicing the old cardboard and we are at the point of having a basic shape!
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Never been one for having just the one ramp for assaulting boarding, might as well just paint a big sign on the door saying 'aim here. please be patient' as a result my SB will have front/rear and 4 side entry/exit points
user posted image

Apparently the original was meant to carry 100 marines into battle, I upped the anti a little and decided that it would be nice to be able to drop two Rhino sized support vehicles into combat too, hence the rear doors
user posted image

Larger than a standard Thunderhawk gunbrick of course, the flat bottom and rear ramjets are representative of its ability to drop from orbit and of course have the power to return with a full load to some sort of mother-ship
user posted image

OK, next on the to do list is to black the whole model up and begin to add panels/details etc. A large flying base will be constructed and I have plans to model it in-flight disgorging its troops from the exits, maybe even a rhino drogue chuting out the back!

Oh, nearly forgot to mention there will be a pred turret going on the top right hand mounting area to represent the defensive turret which you can just see on the ref pic. still not sure whether to lose that cannon on the front and replace it with maybe a twin-linked assault cannon of a more scaled nature, might also thicken that tail section up a little...what ya think?
war009
Posted: Jul 5 2009, 09:05 PM

Member No.: 4,023

awesome...just freaking awesome
I like your UM also love the geared razorbacks and rhinos

nice old school pewter Thunderhawk

--------------------
le Mediko
Posted: Jul 5 2009, 10:11 PM

Member No.: 4,824

This is just amazing!
I didn't understand it was so big before I noticed the poor little Thunderhawk... drool.gif
grimdisco
Posted: Jul 5 2009, 10:45 PM

Member No.: 3,295

WOW!!!!!!! drool.gif drool.gif thumbs_up.gif
bikeninja
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 02:22 AM

Member No.: 5,698

Where did you find that picture? I thought there was a picture of one in the old Rogue Trader book but I don't remember it looking like that. If I recall it actully looked kinda goofy looking but I could be wrong. Anyway that is a great conversion and I am sure after your wonderful painting it will look even better.
chip6793
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 02:41 AM

Member No.: 4,807

I seem to recall that picture in the original Epic boxed set.

As for the modeling..Well,as usual I'm in awe. I can't wait to see this finished!!!

You asked for suggestions on the Assault cannon, I would suggest not changing it. The Thunderhawk has a turbo laser, or a battle Cannon on top...Well, the gun on the Stormhawk is huge, no matter how you slice it. My vote is to keep it. Turn it into a Vulcan Mega bolter.
byram
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 03:40 AM

Member No.: 242

i have one of the Storm Eagles, ive been trying to figure out what to do with it, thank you, i will be referencing your thread for ideas... it seems like the underside of the bird is difficult to attach a pod too.... how did you do it? i also cannot believe you destroyed an aurora model for this project ohmy.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Bulldoguk
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 06:22 AM

Hi Byram, just a matter of seeing where it sits best then using judicious amounts of hot glue! You then cross your fingers an hope the rest of the construction will hold it in place!

I wouldn't so much say 'destroyed' an aurora. More like 'recycled' biggrin.gif

Had it years and it was thick with dust, bonus is I can probably get two ships from one, the front and rear will probably make a nice shuttle or something

user posted image
Gabaff
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 07:49 AM

Member No.: 383

Only a little thing, ok then quite large to be honest, the jet engines on the side of the rear door. Aren't they a bit short?
It seems like they don't continue into the rear loading bay marked 032-7A so they'd have to fit into the say 4 inch armour thickness.
Otherwise, lovely model!
Bulldoguk
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 04:11 PM

Only a little thing, ok then quite large to be honest, the jet engines on the side of the rear door. Aren't they a bit short?
It seems like they don't continue into the rear loading bay marked 032-7A so they'd have to fit into the say 4 inch armour thickness.
Otherwise, lovely model!

It's all done with mirrors Gabaff, try not to lose any sleep over it....I don't! tongue.gif

Alternatively if it REALLY is bothering you don't think of them as 3 seperate engines but 3 nozzles directed from one main engine, rather like the set up of a harrier jet, this way you can dog leg the pipe and take up very little cargo area, that helpful? wink.gif
Gabaff
Posted: Jul 7 2009, 10:14 AM

Member No.: 383

Oh yeah, helpful indeed. I got told thumbs_up.gif

I have no issues with your implementation of engineering marvels, witchcraft and sorcery. Emperor knows i've used the same methods myself on a number of occations biggrin.gif
Bulldoguk
Posted: Jul 8 2009, 07:01 AM

Hehe, I often think 'Sci-Fi' is simply an excuse for us all to converse freely in the BS we have floating around our noggins without feeling guilty. We are all experts in that! biggrin.gif
Bulldoguk
Posted: Jul 8 2009, 07:26 AM

Burnt a little midnight oil yesterday and got the detailing done, all ready for the colour now!
Those among you will be pleased to know that's its officially aerodynamic now as it has a pointy front bit biggrin.gif

I’m actually quite happy with the front end (unusual for me) as it does look quite ‘beaky’ and I may well incorporate that into the paint scheme
The turret and nose gun are interchangeable and upgradeable to las cannons using those indispensable magnets.
Thankfully Rob takes my relaxed approach to 40k and doesn’t really care what colour it is so I may well go with a nice neutral grey as with the Storm eagle, this way I can use it with my troops and it probably has better re-sale value if the time ever comes.

I have an idea bouncing around my noggin to display it mid-low altitude approach with troops pouring from the doors while a rhino is dropping out the back deploying a drogue chute and retro thrusters. The troops will of course be a contingent of my Crimson Ultrawings! The blue will probably sit nicely with the colour of the Stormbird. Well, at least that how it all looks in my world, whether it ends up like that is a totally different matter…stay tuned!

Anyhow made up a webpage for the Stormbird, will add some fluff when I get the time Stormbird Troop Transport

All the major detail work done, will add the pilots and cockpit detail ASAP
user posted image

The turret and nose mounts are interchangable thanks to trusty old magnets!
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image

Had some spare doors in the bits box so put them to good use
user posted image
user posted image
Hummlkai
Posted: Jul 11 2009, 11:20 PM

Member No.: 2,337

Hi BulldogUK

This is a fantastic heavy flyer! Excellent scratch build. This looks so impressive and more intimidating then every Thunderhawk so far. By seeing this one I wonder why the Astartes ever changed to the Thunderhawk and putting the Stormbird to rest. I like the front nose, looks like an big stylish eagle bill! Maybe GW sees your work and thinks about a model to come up with! happy.gif
The dropship where you used the storage compartment from.....what model is that? I know I've seen it in some movie or so but can't remember. I was thinking of Starship Troopers but they are smaller.
Can't wait to see it finished and "flying" with your gorgeous Ultrawings! Another great addition to an already excellent army.

--------------------
I am not playing Warhammer 40k, but collecting Space Marines. Stopped my Ultramarines and changed to the Dark Angels and their fluff!
---------------------------
My stuff at Photobucket: http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/Hummlkai/
CommanderSamirus
Posted: Jul 12 2009, 06:45 AM

Member No.: 3,938

I've been going through reading the Horus Heresy novels and the Stormbirds are mentioned very frequently. I gather that there were two or three big reasons for discontinuing the Stormbirds. First off in I think False Gods it describes the Thunderhawk being and easier STC to build in quantity due to its size. The Thunderhawk is also described as being faster, more maneuverable, and more versatile than the larger Stormbird. The third reason, and I believe to be the biggest reason, is the unnecessarily large capacity. Near as I can figure the Stormbird can transport an entire company plus support staff. This became a somewhat risky business in post heresy combat. The threat of potentially losing a tenth of a chapter to one lucky shot outweighed its capabilities. The Thunderhawk, while not as heavily armed or armored, was the more realistic option due to its versatility.

Excellent work Bulldog I'm always excited when I see your work. If I had half your talent (and molds) I'd be a happy man.

-Samirus
chip6793
Posted: Jul 12 2009, 07:32 AM

As usual an amazing job!! I still think you should keep the Extended range Assault Cannon/Mega Bolter option open, but it looks amazing none the less.

Also, the upper gun turret. I took a look at the picture, the one of the Stormbird, it looks like the gun turret is actually centered, not offset. Part of the problem may have been a perspective drawing problem at the time, but if you look at the center line, it pretty much encompasses the turret itself.

Also, if you look closely by the bottom door, you'll see that there appears to be another gun firing. To me, it looks like there may be another turret underneath as well.

As I have said before, the model looks amazing as is. Your work as always, is incredible. Just thought i would bring those observations to your attention.
byram
Posted: Jul 12 2009, 07:21 PM

Member No.: 242

amazing job mate thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Bulldoguk
Posted: Jul 12 2009, 08:58 PM

As usual an amazing job!! I still think you should keep the Extended range Assault Cannon/Mega Bolter option open, but it looks amazing none the less.

Also, the upper gun turret. I took a look at the picture, the one of the Stormbird, it looks like the gun turret is actually centered, not offset. Part of the problem may have been a perspective drawing problem at the time, but if you look at the center line, it pretty much encompasses the turret itself.

Also, if you look closely by the bottom door, you'll see that there appears to be another gun firing. To me, it looks like there may be another turret underneath as well.

As I have said before, the model looks amazing as is. Your work as always, is incredible. Just thought i would bring those observations to your attention.

Yeah, I saw all that Chip but as mentioned earlier this was never meant to be an exact copy of the picture, just inspired by. A complete 'Botch' if you like using what I had lying around wink.gif

One thing for sure the gun turret certainly isn't in line with the cockpit, which is one of the things that first drew my eye to the picture. I love non symmetrical craft!

Lower weapon pod has already been added, again using magnets so it can be removed and the SB can be sat on its big fat belly biggrin.gif

Been a bit busy lately but managed to get the main colours on and bagged the first 15 assault marines from ebay. Hopefully get some update pics later in the week
nurgling6688
Posted: Jul 12 2009, 11:01 PM

Member No.: 4,988

looking nice. Is that a Forge World Fortress in the background? dang how rich r u? I wish i could afford that much forge world. But good job, all your stuff always looks amazing.
chip6793
Posted: Jul 13 2009, 01:51 AM

I SOOOO stand corrected!! I took another closer look. It would appear that there is actually only one intake that is visible, which looks like it should be centered, I assumed that there was one hidden by what I perceived as the center section...At least, I think I"m seeing it correctly now. That would put that raised section on the right hand side of the ship...My bad!! wink.gif

Regardless, beautiful job my friend!! and I have to agree with nurgling6688, you have to be rich or something!! lol!!! Can't believe how much you do with what you have, but if I had the resources available that you do...Hmmm...Ok, I still wouldn't be anywhere near as good as you!! wink.gif LOL!! Oh well.

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing the finished product.
Bulldoguk
Posted: Jul 13 2009, 06:28 AM

You would be surprised chaps, the only FW items I have are the Reaver, GK raider and a few Dreads. Everything else including the fortress are scratched using cardboard, foam and anything else I can get my hands on, Cheap as chips!

Oh, the other reaver and eldar titan are of course the old armorcast models

There are details on the fortress here Imperial fortress

Rest of the 40k vehicles on these two links 40k stuff and The big stuff!

Bulldoguk
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 01:15 PM

Added a little colour to the old bird. Next step. make a base and paint up some marines. They will be pinned to look like they are leaping from the open doors into combat (at least that's how it looks in my head)!

Heres a few pics.

user posted image
user posted image

Close-up of the 'beak' mounted linked Heavy bolter
user posted image

Added some cockpit detail too
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Sergeant Centimetre and the Tape-O-nought shown for scale
user posted image

Memorial flight 40k style!
user posted image
chip6793
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 01:27 PM

Ok....I'm Officially blown away...Again!!! Please forgive me for saying this, but I still think the Assault Cannon would look AMAZING on this monster... wink.gif

God, if I had half of your talent though!! I have been trying to find a Dragonhawk cheap online so that I can attempt to mimic your creation. I LOVE this build!!!
Caiin
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 01:48 PM

Member No.: 925

Holy... This is just amazing. Unbelievable that you finished the model in half a month. The similarity with the first picture is outstanding.

Great job.

--------------------
Rivets rule!
Bulldoguk
Posted: Jul 18 2009, 02:50 PM

Rustled up an alternative turret for the SB, used parts from the bits box and one of the old domes from the mech dropship I dissected. Needed the pred turret back for the tank. Just Got my first 15 marines cheap as chips from ebay so will try and get them painted n posed and have some updates next week ;D

user posted image
user posted image
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2670 seconds | Archive
This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited, Privateer Press, Infinity, Mongoose or any other Hobby, Model or Gaming Company.

Dragonforge

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com