Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to TSR-2 SIG. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Tsr2 Booster Launcher, From BSP4
Mossie
Posted: Mar 12 2008, 02:05 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Hi guys, I posted this same message in the What If forum but I thought here might be a good place to put it too.

I'm very much thinking of building the TSR2 booster launcher that makes an appearance in the BSP Hypersonics volume. I'm assuming an early to mid seventies time line, to give the TSR2 time to get into squadron service & for most of the testing to have been completed. I assume that one or more airframe from the test or pre-production batch would have been passed to the RAE and/or A&AEE. Any particular airframe that might be suitable?

I want to model the booster & aircraft in the test phase, rather than operational. The booster itself I'll probably paint in yellow with black markings. This seems to have been usually the case for test weapons that were carried on aircraft. A launcher would be something different, but the reasoning behind the colouring remains the same.

The markings of the aircraft are my main problem. RAE or A&AEE? I'm leaning towards A&AEE as the testing of the booster would see to more closey fit their role. Then, there's the paint scheme of the aircraft. I've done a bit of research into RAE & A&AEE schemes & it seems I've got a number of choices:

1. Keep it in the standard RAF paint scheme, either anti-flash white or DG/DSG over LAG. This tended to be the case for aircraft not permanently attached to the RAE/A&AEE. I think this is less likely, as the aircraft would have had to be heavilly modified & more likely to part of the permanent test fleet.
2. Modify an RAF scheme with red patches. Red had replaced dayglo orange by the early seventies. Again, tended to be loan airframes.
3. The early standard RAE scheme of white/blue/grey or A&AAE scheme of white/red/grey. This came around in the mid seventies & predated Raspberry Ripple. These schemes mainly tended to be used on transport or large aircraft. A slight variation on one of these schemes would be possible, a few aircraft carried something a long these lines. Within the main schemes, there seems to have been no absolute standard & schemes differed slightly between aircraft.
4. An individual scheme. Before standardised RAE/A&AEE schemes came along, several aircraft up to the late seventies were painted in highly individual, bright but usually simple paint schemes. This opens up the field pretty much to my imagination!
5. Rasberry Ripple. RR as we've come to know it started in the mid to late seveties & is probably a bit too late for my time scheme, although the aircraft may have been repainted at some stage in the booster test program.

Any thoughts? Let me know if I've not understood things correctly, or there's something I've missed out. There are other questions I've got, but I'll leave those till later.

Thanks! cool.gif

Simon.
tsrjoe
Posted: Mar 13 2008, 10:56 AM

TSR2 Guru

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

hi there 'mossie' #3 sounds like it could be nice, altho id personally guess the aircraft woul;d be in a 'special' scheme, probably based upon an overall white scheme like the early airframes (the overall white would also be good for heat refectivity too i guess a la Concorde, hmm just wondering how oitd look in 'ESA.' markings as a quasi civil aircraft possibly with BAC. 'class B' registration ?

cheers, Joe

--------------------
...'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS (UK) R&D. P&C. SIG. Co-ordinator
'Research & Development, Projected & Cancelled'
IPMS (UK) 'TSR-2' SIG Member.
IPMS (UK) 'What-if' SIG Member.

my TSR.2 (and other 'interesting' stuff) resource site ...
http://groups.msn.com/TSR-2ResearchGroup/shoebox.msnw
« Next Oldest | General Modeling topics | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.7060 seconds | Archive