zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to TSR-2 SIG. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Mirage IVK, Spey engined Mirage IV to replacement
Thorvic
Posted: Feb 19 2007, 08:06 AM

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

BAC & Dassault worked on proposals to salavage elements of the TSR2 program and still give the Royal Air Force a supersonic medium bomber. They would use the Mirage IV airframe and and modify the fuselage to to take the RR Spey engine that resulted in a longer fuselage and intakes but also gave additional fuel capacity and management allowing for longer range to meet RAF requirements. Some of the avionics developed for TSR2 could also be intergrated in place of the original french system.

RAF test pilot actually flew a short test program in France and found the aircraft to be favourable, the costings also indicated that upto 300 could be procurred for the same price as 150 TFX and there was potential for export interest as well within NATO.

However the UK governement were committed to the US TFX program by the time of the TSR2 cancellation so the spey Mirage IV never went past the initial drawings phase.

G
DaveFleming
Posted: Apr 3 2007, 11:04 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 43

I wonder if the RAF could have become involved in the Mirage G program instead of MRCA.......?
tsrjoe
Posted: Apr 17 2007, 11:02 AM

TSR2 Guru

Member No.: 10

--------------------
...'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS (UK) R&D. P&C. SIG. Co-ordinator
'Research & Development, Projected & Cancelled'
IPMS (UK) 'TSR-2' SIG Member.
IPMS (UK) 'What-if' SIG Member.

my TSR.2 (and other 'interesting' stuff) resource site ...
http://groups.msn.com/TSR-2ResearchGroup/shoebox.msnw
Thorvic
Posted: Apr 23 2007, 11:15 AM

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (DaveFleming @ Apr 3 2007, 11:04 PM)
I wonder if the RAF could have become involved in the Mirage G program instead of MRCA.......?

You trying to be Funny Dave. The French got the VG technology off BAC that Vickers developed with Barnes Wallis in the AFVG program. then ditched the program and produced the Mirage G a few months later angry.gif
DaveFleming
Posted: May 8 2007, 10:33 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Thorvic @ Apr 23 2007, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (DaveFleming @ Apr 3 2007, 11:04 PM)

You trying to be Funny Dave. The French got the VG technology off BAC that Vickers devekloped with Barnes Wallis in the AFVG program. then ditched the program and produced the Mirage G a few months later angry.gif

No, just taking a slightly alternative historical path.

Suppose the MRCA definition study had come to no agreement, The RAF still needing a new aircraft, a change in UK Govt in 1970 to a Franco/Europhile Heath administration seeking to gain favour with the Europeans (and the French in particular) in order to gain admission to the EEC......

"We are already working wth the French on Concorde, the Jaguar, the Lynx, Gazelle and Puma. We have now initiated discussions to develop a version of the Mirage G for the RAF........."
« Next Oldest | Beyond the TSR-2 | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5488 seconds | Archive