Toxic Yellow created by Robb of the IF Skin Zone

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to The Phalanx. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Warvault Webring

New Commission, but which battle company?
(TV)
Posted: Aug 14 2011, 08:22 PM

Aspirant

Group: Scouts
Member No.: 245

Im_Fist_Banner.jpg

Hey all. I have had the bits for 70-80 marines all laid out for like a year now. This was originally supposed to be a pre-heresy army but I have decided it's not worth as much effort. I have a higher proportion of old mark armor and cleaned up chaos armor, but I heard imperial fists used older marks as a "remnant" legion.

Anyway, my plan is a true scale but 100% playable list mostly composed of infantry. I've played my share of competitive lists so I'm trying to make the foot slog work. More than just play wise, I want the army to be unique in terms of feel and art. due to the true scaling, every model will be custom and I really want to make each soldier it's own centerpiece, so to speak.

That being said, I want a lot of marines on the table, particularly tactical marines. I was thinking of simulating a whole company, which is possible for 2000pts or less if I keep the upgrades quite cheap and don't use vehicles. Does anyone have experience with similar setups?

Finally, I looked through the IF company index (link) but I can't seem to find much info on the individual companies records, history, and combat disposition, if any. I am wondering if you can all help me out in picking a battle company to base my minis off of, and enlightening me on the backgrounds. I will say, besides the tenantry focus, that I am a fan of the prussian/terran culture mentioned for the IFs, if it helps.

Regards,
TV
Zorag
Posted: Aug 15 2011, 09:45 AM

First Company Captain

Group: Masters of the Chapter
Member No.: 41

Hey, welcome to The Phalanx!

I'm a bit fuzzy at the moment, but I seem to remember the third company favouring infantry and a more Black Templar esque crusader style.
grimdisco
Posted: Aug 15 2011, 02:18 PM

Terminator

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 54

Welcome home!

I have been running an all infantry list for a few years now. This play stile works well with everyone running mech so it will not win by much but it will not lose by lot ether.
(TV)
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 07:41 PM

Aspirant

Member No.: 245

Hey, update time.

So I have a solidified true scale method ready to mass produce, and even lots of rhino chassis if I should need them, though I was thinking of not having any rhinos but maxed vindicators, and a good portion of speeders to fill in for mobility.

I've been thinking a lot about the companies. 3rd is OK, and has a respectable style, but I have been having thoughts about something more unique. I know purple is a nice complementary colour for yellow, and though I know there is a continual debate about the use of white especially in helmets, I think Yellow with purple/white secondary (not sure whether the chest eagles would be better purple, red, or black ish at that point, though) would be really nice and noticeable scheme wise.

The purple of course would be the speeder reserve company, of which I never hear anything. I have been thinking of envisioning them as a forward light infantry company (redeploying in gunships and larger air vehicles, smaller gunships like speeders in direct support) especially since I heard they are also the "supply" company. I don't know how well vindicators would fit with this, though...

In summation, how plausible is the colour scheme, and a composition for 7th company that is something like:
-Heavy on tacticals (as per my preference and the apparent composition of reserve coys), so 40-60, used as footsloggers, aggressively running up and holding forward positions.
-Good portion of landspeeders (3-6)
-3ish vindicators (more maybe in 6th ed?) to lead the charge
- 3 dreadnoughts to go with the mobs.

In light of the multiple losses of whole companies (at least 3rd and 5th, maybe others that have not been disclosed) in recent events, it makes sense to me that the reserve companies would play a more active role and step in.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
TV

PS: I'm also looking to see if I can find the ideal spray for yellow, like the "daemonic yellow" basecoat/primer from army painter, any advice?
BattleBrotherJohn
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 09:43 PM

Aspirant

Member No.: 255

GREETINGS BROTHER !!

( oops ! better keep my voice down - they dont like loud noise round here biggrin.gif )

Anyway just to say good luck with your project .

In regard to which company go with the one that appeals to you most .

IMO with Battle Companies being wiped out - thanks GW ! - I would imagine the chapter reconstituting them with squads drawn from the Reserve companies .

A Quick repaint of the shoulder trim and hey presto the 3rd Battle Company lives to fight again.

( also just to mention there is currently an IF discussion thread on Bolter and Chainsword if you want to drop in and say hello ).
grimdisco
Posted: Feb 1 2012, 07:07 AM

Terminator

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 54

LOL
Cuthbo
Posted: Feb 1 2012, 07:39 AM

Aspirant

Member No.: 239

g'day mate,

just pitching in on the army painter stuff, my mate runs blood angels and swears by the quality of their primers, so much nicer than GW gear. give them a wash and hey presto easy army painting made easier.

good luck with the build.

cheers Cuthbo
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2851 seconds | Archive
Disclaimer: This website is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited. Warhammer 40,000 is a registered trademark and/or Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2004. All Games Workshop words and phrases herein are used without permission. No challenge is intended to the status of these or any other trademarks of Games Workshop Ltd. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.