Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Starving Artists. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

What now?, Where do we go from here?
Inkmonkey
  Posted: Dec 20 2005, 06:23 PM

Roguish Youth

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Okay, folks, I'm sure you're aware by now that DD has a-sploded, and with it the Starving Artists page (as well as the archives, or at least a good chunk of them).

The question I present to you today is, are you willing to continue SA, and if so, in what format?

Right now I think we could get hosting on smackjeeves.com, or possibly comic genesis. There's a chance for Nightgig, but it's not too likely. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Hosting aside, we have to wonder what's to be done with the story. Aside from the fact that many of the archives likely did not survive, this does give us the chance to retool SA, either by streamlining the series or by reworking it entirely.

MadCat has already thought of the idea of lowering the spectrum of the series, and instead focusing on the day to day lives of the artists in an apartment setting, instead of the usual super-powered, island-wide adventures we normally see. I'd be very interested in seeing where this idea goes, personally, but I'm not sure if it's worth abandoning the original series for.

Another possibility is a sort of "Ultimate" version of SA, wherein we recreate the world we once had, with alterations throughout based on what we did or did not enjoy about the original series. This might give us a chance to make the moments we felt were rushed or overdone more interesting or better paced. Of course, like the actual Ultimate comic book line, there's also a good chance we'd make unnecessary changes that will upset fans (and creators) of the original series.

This is, of course, assuming that we can't regain the lost SA archives, for one reason or another.

The idea of this series has always and hopefully will always be to have a series not controlled by a single individual. I've complained and tried to sway opinion, true, but I have avoided taking over the series and forcing it the way I want it to be. And it is in that spirit that I need to know what the people think before moving along. I don't want to see SA die, so even if the other contributors don't come back I still intend to continue SA in some form or another.

Once we have a greater idea of what the majority of the contributors want (can't please everyone all the time, I'm afraid), then we'll continue with whatever we decide on together.

--------------------
"Anything you want to; do it. Want to change the world? There's nothing to it."
Willowanderer
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 06:35 PM

Reality doesn't even send postcards

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

I kind of liek the idea of starting over. YOu know, pulling A DC. Same concept but compeltly retooled.
New origin stories, suddenly Jor-el and Lara have these funky looking robes instead of miniskirts, Hawlkman is an alein, that kinda thing.
^,^

While it could still be an island, we could add, perhaps and apartment house for all the artists to live in. Maybe if we had a place to go to there wouldn't be so many superpowerd adventures.
But c'mon, we're artists with near unlimited power.
adventures will happen.

--------------------
Evil Emperor Nick
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 06:38 PM

Unregistered

I'd suggest going with the Ultimate re-working on the universe.

I'm not against a toned down version as, despite my contributions to the bloated and over fantastic universe SA became, I think that might serve to make it easier for people to read, enjoy, and join which is the essence of what a community comic should be. One of the problems with the old SA was not many people actually wanted to read the whole back archive, they just wanted to post up a comic and go.

Also there is Jellycreations out there two for a possible host.

*Ink wakes up from dream detaling the old SA.*
"I think I hate Nick, oh wait that isn't new."
Willowanderer
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 06:40 PM

*gets the giggles*

The whole last season was just a dream?

--------------------
Emperor of Evil
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 07:40 PM

Unregistered

Obviously it was just a dream. It explains so much.

That way we can import any old elements we like and disgard any that we have problems with.

*Ink find men in black suits wating for him*
Ink "The 4WPA I thought they were just part of dream!!!"
Black Suits "4WPA? No we are the IRS, give us your money."
Ink "I'm an artist I don't have any money."
Black Suits "Well yea but......................................................................"
*Steals Ink's hat and runs off*
Katrina the Fuzzy
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 07:48 PM

Unregistered

Well, like everyone else, it would seem, I'm in favor of starting over. I also promise I will contribute more. You are all witnesses. That being said, I don't know where we can go and I am a complete dunce when it comes to webdesign.

Well, at least I can draw... Kind of.
Willowanderer
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 08:14 PM

*giggles more* poor ink. Everybody hates the hat.
Except we love it.

--------------------
Lucky
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 11:49 PM

Sitting at the end of time

Member No.: 22

I think starting over is a good Idea too...while we did have a nice story going...oh wait, I'm thinking of something else

anyways, start it over, no reason not to that I can think of, and a new start is probably just what SA needs to get people interested again
Ronin
Posted: Dec 21 2005, 12:32 AM

Unregistered

I've got archives saved up to page 565. I'm not interested in continuing as a contributor, but if anyone wants these I'll be more than happy to send them over.
Ian Jay
Posted: Dec 21 2005, 12:43 AM

The Silly One

Member No.: 9

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: SA should be razed to the ground and rebuilt. And I like the idea of having it in a more low-key apartment building, too. (That's always how I've pictured the webcomics business...) You can layer on all the spangles and pyrotechnics and gadgetry and mystical origins you like, but real stories aren't about all of that fluff, they're about the interactions between people. Just like real life.

~IJ

PS: Not that I'm totally against gimmicks... hoo hoo hoo...

--------------------
user posted image
Willowanderer
Posted: Dec 21 2005, 02:29 AM

when it comes down to it, all stories are about people.

--------------------
Huntress
Posted: Dec 21 2005, 07:13 AM

The Dramatic One

Member No.: 5

Well whatever is decided is fine by me. I'd keep contributing either way

`H

--------------------
user posted image
HUNTRESS
Neilak20
Posted: Dec 23 2005, 04:42 PM

Queen of Sax

Member No.: 10

I'm with Huntress on this one, whatever happens I'll do my best to contribute.

I think the idea of the Ultimate SA would be interesting, but I have a feeling that even if we tried to have the comic focus on the lives of the artists in the apartment building then it would eventually morph into something that would be similar to Ultimate SA, by definition at least.

We could set limitations to the "powers" charas could get, like no "godly powers" or something, and define the term "godly powers"...but then that might stifle the creativity as people would be hesitent to have their charas do stuff cause they might be treading in the "godly powers" zone.
I'm not saying anyone had that level of power in the last SA but it was getting there. lol
*Hums the DBZ theme for no reason at all*

ninja.gif

-Neila

--------------------

Queen of Jazz
Katrina the Fuzzy
Posted: Dec 23 2005, 07:14 PM

Rockclimbing Dinobird

Member No.: 23

Well, if it morphs naturally, then let it do so, by Odin's beard! (Nooooo, I was not up late reading old Thor comics. Don't judge me!) I think we should start with the Artist's apartment, and then if it goes into crazy story lines again, let it. I do like the idea of starting out with stricter rules on the powers, which ought to limit the madness from the start.
Neilak20
Posted: Dec 23 2005, 09:05 PM

Queen of Sax

Member No.: 10

I don't mind it morphing tongue.gif (I like that word), But it might be nice to have it start off less hectic, then build as more people join and all

--------------------

Queen of Jazz
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Quick Reply

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.6430 seconds | Archive