zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Oolong. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Resonata
Oolong
Posted: Jun 3 2005, 11:14 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I am hoping that Resonata is both fun to play with and educational, and that the writing is comprehensive but comprehensible.

Is it?

Do you have any suggestions for things that I could improve, or feature requests which aren't yet covered in the existing To-Do List? Would you prefer me to pitch any of the explanations at a different level?
Harry Hebert
Posted: Jun 10 2005, 08:53 PM

Unregistered

Hi Fergus
The thing I like most about Resonata is that the onlooker is given the option to change values. A change in values creates a change in performance when continues thereafter. How like life this is. With us, however, we, the image, can change the values back which we all too often do. That's the breaks that comes with having a free will. Resonata, however, cannot undo the changes we make to it. I see a number of principles that this marvelous interactive visual can have even outside the scientific world for which it was designed.

Harry
Oolong
Posted: Jun 11 2005, 04:02 PM

Administrator

Cheers Harry,

Yup, I'd agree with that; although the science of this is what I've chosen to focus on, I am inclined to think that some of the principles involved are even more widely applicable.

Re undoing changes - what you say is largely true - although you should note that when Resonata is driven by a regular force which doesn't match its resonant frequency, it will end up almost exactly where it started after a time. In fact, since most of the changes we can make are symmetrical, almost anything that can be done can in principle be undone - it just tends to be much, much harder...
Tharglet
Posted: Jul 7 2005, 09:49 PM

Unregistered

Nice thing to play with, just came across it - would make an excellent screensaver biggrin.gif
Any plans for that?
tharglet@gmail.com
Oolong
Posted: Jul 17 2005, 01:22 PM

Administrator

Hi Tharglet,

Yup, making screensavers is very much on my list of Things To Do Eventually. I'm back from my honeymoon next week, so I should have more time after that than I've had in quite a while, and I'll get back to working on this stuff seriously.
PhySci
Posted: Jul 28 2005, 09:35 PM

Unregistered

If you are interested in making a screen saver of your wonderful applet,
you should check out the Saverbeans Screensaver pack.
It is a development API that can turn Java into Screensavers.

You can find the project here.. https://screensavers.dev.java.net/
Oolong
Posted: Aug 8 2005, 03:35 PM

Administrator

Thanks PhySci,

I'm looking into it now. It looks reasonably straightforward to achieve, and definitely worth the effort. I guess it probably makes sense not to make a screensaver of it until I've made most of the other changes I want to, though...

Cheers!

- f.
Oolong
Posted: Nov 24 2005, 01:52 PM

Administrator

A new version of Resonata is currently in testing and very active development. I'd love to get feedback from anyone who happens to be paying attention.
Oolong
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 08:49 PM

Administrator

The latest version of Resonata now allows you to detach a window so you can make it full-screen - I'd love to know if it works for everyone...
Oolong
Posted: Feb 23 2006, 04:43 PM

Administrator

I've now put the version of Resonata requiring a recent Java VM on the main Resonata page, and it's now generating sound! I'm quite excited about this, although it's at an early stage so far.

I've also made a version for Flash, using ActionScript. It's pretty rudimentary so far, but a good start I think.

And! For anyone who missed it, there's another simplified version of Resonata for mobile phones (along with Rosaly) at oolong.notlong.com.
harry
Posted: Feb 27 2006, 11:44 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Oolong,
I got the flash version of Resonata to work on my old computer. Teriffic.
Most of all I found your article about resonances extremely well done. Thanks.
Harry

--------------------
Harry Hebert
Bible Cocoons
Oolong
Posted: Feb 28 2006, 11:27 AM

Administrator

Thanks Harry,

Good to know the Flash version is working for you! I'm quite pleased I made the effort, in the end, all things considered. In fact, I'm actually quite looking forward to doing more with Flash.

Also, thanks for the feedback on the writing; I've had a few people saying nice things about it, but it's a bit frustrating how few people seem to make it down past the applet...

Cheers!
« Next Oldest | Computer Graphics | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0305 seconds · Archive