InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Neverhood Community. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Coming soon! - Fancharacter Creation Guide, Discussion
Trelela
  Posted: Apr 21 2012, 12:37 PM

Crowned Being

Group: Members
Member No.: 29

As the title says, we have started working on a universal guide which would help to create fancharacters in the Neverhood universe. It's mostly tips on how to create a good, interesting and balanced OC, and things people should avoid.

People who are working on it so far:
OttonandPooky, JekJekTarr and Trelela

If you:

- Are interested.
- Have good ideas,
- Know good examples of NH characters (some we have forgotten, some have been abandoned but they have something interesting or memorable about them or they have a specific trait which can be perfect for pointing out in this guide).
- Know good examples for character traits
- Have tips on character creation
- Know cool sites, tutorials or memes which help with character building.

You're welcome to join us! We can share our ideas, examples and opinions in this topic and discuss them.

I think we could make this chapter by chapter.

What do you guys think?
FotI
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 02:45 PM

Neverhoodian

Member No.: 187

Great idea! I think you could use the first-version Kat as the ultimate bad example.
OttonandPooky
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 04:24 PM

Crowned Being

Member No.: 146

Trelela my dear <3... you bad wrote my nickname
user posted image

But to be honest. Tonight I'm going to work on a point of talents and skills and the critical point of hybrid and the creation of children
SheJanel
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 07:58 PM

Unregistered

I'm willing to make some suggestions as well.
: )
Trelela
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 07:54 PM

Crowned Being

I'm glad you want to participate :]

Firslty we can focus on Hoodians. Maybe later we could think about making a tut for inhabitants of other worlds.
Right now we probably should start with the introduction. I was thinking about a discussion:What is better to start with? Name, look or personality?

I personally believe it's better to start with personality, because the way we are, can manifest in the way we look. On the other hand, sometimes the way we look and how people see and treat us, can define our character. BUT! Character and looks can change in time. Not always, but when it does, it means growth and development in my opinion.
As for names. It's a bit similiar. We can't choose our name, and sometimes (especially if it's a weird name) it can have a huge impact on the way our personality develops through years. As for OCs, we can choose a name which could fit our character, or just mix our favourite words or colours just for the heck of it. But how much can it influence how our OC personality can turn out? (I hope what I write, makes sense).
What is better in creating an OC? Creating personality, looks or thinking of a name first?

Oh, and Otto:

user posted image Heheh, joking. I fixed it.
SheJanel
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 10:03 PM

Unregistered

Good idea, Tre.
I suppose as far as personality goes, a creator has to make sure their character is likeable(yes, this even goes for the villianous types).

Also, here's a little guide on avoiding to write Mary-Sues or Gary-Stus(pretty much a perfect but flat character)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYo...WritingAMarySue
Palmshark
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 04:33 PM

Neverhoodian

Member No.: 174

QUOTE (Trelela @ Apr 22 2012, 07:54 PM)
Right now we probably should start with the introduction. I was thinking about a discussion:What is better to start with? Name, look or personality?

I did the name last for both of my characters.
With Kasta, to be honest, I started with the appearance and then thought of the personality and backstory.
With Tafs, I thought of the personality and then put basically no thought into the appearance, as you can tell. Hell, I didn't even know he was going to be a FwaSheep until the last minute. I just did it because I thought he'd be much less of a Sue if he was small, stubby and useless.
FotI
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 08:25 PM

Neverhoodian

Member No.: 187

I think all the three of them should be sort of tied together. First goes the personality, but if you want, you could give your character a name that would be meaningful for his/her personality/backstory. Same goes for the look - but Tre's already said that.

Oh God, I didn't make a whole lot of sense, did I.
Grindragon
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 04:09 AM

Neverhoodian

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (FotI @ Apr 23 2012, 12:25 PM)
I think all the three of them should be sort of tied together. First goes the personality, but if you want, you could give your character a name that would be meaningful for his/her personality/backstory. Same goes for the look - but Tre's already said that.

Oh God, I didn't make a whole lot of sense, did I.

I was thinking the same. c:
Trelela
Posted: May 18 2012, 03:27 PM

Crowned Being

Sorry for a short hiatus. I hoped for a bigger discussion.
Soon there will be more topics to talk about. I'm just about to finish this semester so exams are coming and final tests. I also have lots of other things to work on.
If anyone wants to start next topic, go ahead. It can be anything character creation related.
SheJanel
Posted: May 18 2012, 04:19 PM

Unregistered

How about making sure not to let fancharacters take central stage? They're supposed to enhance the Neverhood universe, not overwhelm it.
Trelela
Posted: May 22 2012, 09:30 PM

Crowned Being

QUOTE (SheJanel @ May 18 2012, 05:19 PM)
How about making sure not to let fancharacters take central stage? They're supposed to enhance the Neverhood universe, not overwhelm it.

AH, yes. A very good point. I totally agree with this one!

(I'll write more about it later when I have more free time)
JekJekTarr
Posted: May 24 2012, 09:02 AM

Skullmonkey

Member No.: 332

Well... When I first heard of the Mary Sue, I knew it was something I should avoid the most. I tought it's when you make a character that is 100% like you. So Klayflea and Oddiss are totally different. Maybe if I find more free time I'll create a new character thaw would be more closely to me. Those old two are not.

TVtropes helped me to find out what's real MS is so, SheJanel's link is pretty accurate.
I recommand you to read this closely. ;p
JekJekTarr
Posted: Jun 4 2012, 09:00 AM

Skullmonkey

Member No.: 332

Also, If you want create a character and you're out of ideas, good way is to play the Neverhood again. Or Skullmonkays. When you feel that world you should be able to find out something what would be part of your character.
OttonandPooky
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 02:45 PM

Crowned Being

Member No.: 146

Universal guide is already there, but there is people willing to translate this...
« Next Oldest | Fan-Characters | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive