Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Jewish Attachment Parenting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

chicken food on Pesach (Elisheva? anyone else)
chavs
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 06:37 AM

Clearly neglecting my kids to be here this much

Group: Members
Member No.: 139

Does anyone have any idea what to feed to chickens on Pesach? With Pesach looming we realised we dont know what they can eat on Pesach thats not chometzdik. Anyadvice would be great!
Thanks
ImaGeek
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 09:49 AM

K'nayna Harah

Member No.: 286

Oddly enough, even though we don't have chickens, I asked this in my halachah class because I was trying to figure out how farmers and ranchers handle Pesach. I'm weird like that. wink.gif

My Rabbi said that it is fine to feed animals kitniyos even if you are Ashkenazic. So, for example, you could feed your chickens corn just fine. In fact, it's likely that most of the things you would normally feed chickens would be kitniyos and not chometz. From what I gathered, horses might be a bit more difficult since they do often like to eat oats, but all animals can graze and forage and could even eat oats or wheat if they take it themselves from the live plant rather than if you feed it to them.

I would think, if you use a prepared feed, you should be able to check the ingredients for any chometz and maybe switch to corn feed for Pesach and perhaps let them forage for bugs and worms?
chavs
Posted: Mar 14 2012, 05:09 AM

Thank you. Truth be told I havent checked the ingredients on their feed which I'll try to find out. If not, perhaps I can find corn. I'm not sure if corn is enough for them to eat but they do freerange, as you said, so perhaps worms and whatever else they might eat (I once saw them fighting over half a mouse) with corn would be enough.
elisheva
Posted: Mar 15 2012, 10:01 AM

Member No.: 132

DH says that last year we tried feeding them alfalfa but they didn't like it. He says this year we're feeding them corn. He also says you can cook beans and freeze them to feed to them during Pesach. We also were very liberal with the table scraps.
chavs
Posted: Mar 16 2012, 07:08 AM

Thank you. Scraps and corn it is:-) They'll probably like matza. Unfortunately we eat a lot of egg and chicken on Pesach and I am not that comfortable feeding them that. Corn is a good idea and leftover of everything else.
Thank you.
« Next Oldest | Green Living | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1562 seconds | Archive