zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Jewish Attachment Parenting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Stroller or Trike?
Zephyr
Posted: Aug 10 2011, 04:49 PM

Clearly neglecting my kids to be here this much

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 3

The seat of my beloved MBUS is dead. After 8 years of faithful service, I cannot complain. But while my 20 month old is a real walker (we don't take the stroller to shul, a 15 minute walk with kids away) I still find myself using the stroller to go shopping, or when we need to get to where we are going FAST. I expect we will need wheels for another year to year and a half, so I am not planning on spending a lot of money.

So now I am thinking that maybe I don't want to replace the stroller at all. I thought to replace it with a wagon, but when I need to go quickly a big lumbering Radio Flyer isn't going to help, regardless of the play value.

I have seen 3 in 1 trike/strollers around. Does anyone have one? What are the pros and cons relative to a traditional stroller? Have they improved in the last 10 years? (My ds used to have one, and it was good for a leisurely walk to the park, but not a first choice when I needed to get somewhere quickly).

Also, does anyone have any input into the Joovy Scooter stroller? It's $140 at Amazon, and the reviews all over the internet are good, but I'm wary of inexpensive strollers because they tend to have poor maneuverability, and that's a little energy thief I can do without. Ideas, anyone?
npl
Posted: Aug 10 2011, 07:53 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 146

A decent stroller is a really good investment. It makes a huge difference in how easy it is to push. I had a cheap stroller that was giving me shoulder and back pain to push with a newborn. I bought an old peg perego carriage and the suspension made all the difference, even though it has fixed wheels and so takes some effort to turn.
I would consider it money well-spent to invest in a decent stroller for those errands you need it for - not forgetting the emotional energy required for dealing with a toddler who won't walk or won't walk where you need her to!
And, a decent stroller will have good resell value.
Rather than buying new, how about seeing if there's a craigslist or kijiji list locally where you can buy a used one in good condition.
I haven't used any of the hybrid strollers you are asking about, but my feeling is that anything other than a stroller will put strain on your joints and won't be easy to push/steer if your toddler isn't co-operating. And the basket on a decent stroller is really worth it!
Also, if you want to read a lot about strollers, including reviews, then check out the baby bargains forum - don't have a link right now, but could dig it out if you want it (pm me). Baby Gizmo and Strollerqueen are also good resources for in-depth reviews, but they are basing their reviews on first impressions rather than extensive use.

Hope that helps!
gilima
Posted: Aug 10 2011, 08:05 PM

Fanatic

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23

I have a joovy kooper stroller which I love!! I don't know what the difference between that one and the scooter is, I have'nt looked. the joovy kooper was about $200 just 2 years ago and the reason I got it was because of its great maneuverability! It is only now after 2 years of use and abuse that it is not as smooth steering and if I wanted I could replace the wheels, a very cool thing they come seperately and snap on.
I remember looking for a lightweight easy, inexpensive stroller and Ilooked at the joovy and the city mini. The city mini just didn't maneuver well and I didn't get it even though so many people told me it is such a good stroller...... it is not great at all!!
For that price I think I might go check it out that joovy scooter smile.gif
gilima
Posted: Aug 10 2011, 08:11 PM

Fanatic

I forgot to add that I had been through 3 maclarens (including a twin maclaren) and a prego with my older kids and if I had the choice now again I would choose the joovy!! I remember reading that you could really push it with one hand and I think for an inexpensive stroller it doesn't get better smile.gif
Outnumbered
Posted: Aug 13 2011, 11:44 PM

K'nayna Harah

Member No.: 46

QUOTE (npl @ Aug 10 2011, 07:53 PM)
A decent stroller is a really good investment. It makes a huge difference in how easy it is to push. I had a cheap stroller that was giving me shoulder and back pain to push with a newborn. I bought an old peg perego carriage and the suspension made all the difference, even though it has fixed wheels and so takes some effort to turn.
I would consider it money well-spent to invest in a decent stroller for those errands you need it for - not forgetting the emotional energy required for dealing with a toddler who won't walk or won't walk where you need her to!
And, a decent stroller will have good resell value.
Rather than buying new, how about seeing if there's a craigslist or kijiji list locally where you can buy a used one in good condition.
I haven't used any of the hybrid strollers you are asking about, but my feeling is that anything other than a stroller will put strain on your joints and won't be easy to push/steer if your toddler isn't co-operating. And the basket on a decent stroller is really worth it!
Also, if you want to read a lot about strollers, including reviews, then check out the baby bargains forum - don't have a link right now, but could dig it out if you want it (pm me). Baby Gizmo and Strollerqueen are also good resources for in-depth reviews, but they are basing their reviews on first impressions rather than extensive use.

Hope that helps!

yeahthat.gif

I had a stroller trike....Not worth the money. and not much of a help when you need to carry groceries home. Don't skimp, buy another MBUS. going cheap means being incredibly unhappy, BTDT, have the T-shirt. I spent the money anyway, but first wasted a bunch.
Zephyr
Posted: Aug 14 2011, 05:25 AM

So stroller-trikes are off the table. When I bought the MBUS, I spend $375 USD with the knowledge that this stroller would serve for three kids, which it has. Now it costs close to twice that, and it looks like my toddler is also our last child, so I can't justify the $600+ price tag when there are strollers that will serve my needs for the $250 and under price tag.

Aside from the Joovy I was also considering a Citi-mini, but the comparable Britax B-Agile is $30 less with a better basket (very important to me). I wish I could try the citi mini, the B-Agile and the Joovy Scooter and compare maneuverability and overall quality, but that's not an option. Anyone going out to BRU soon who wants to test drive for me? smile.gif
Chavelamomela
Posted: Aug 14 2011, 09:29 AM

Attached to my computer...is this AP?

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Zeph, what about resale value? If you spend a lot on a pricey (but excellent) stroller now, will, in 2-years, you be able to resell it for enough? If you can resell it for, say $200, would that make up the difference in price between the less-awesome stroller and the better one?
Zephyr
Posted: Aug 14 2011, 01:56 PM

I hate reselling stuff, I'm more likely to donate it. Regardless, I would hate thinking about protecting the stroller's resale value. If it turns out that the citi mini and the B-Agile really don't have decent steering (as opposed to what everyone says on-line) then I can raise the budget. I just don't think it's good stewardship for me to spend money unnecessarily for Lexus when a Toyota gets me to where I need to go. Just my own sense of something akin to frugality. wink.gif
npl
Posted: Aug 14 2011, 08:04 PM

Member No.: 146

There are other strollers like the MBUS that will do a better job for you, if that is what you need, and that come with a lower price tag. The Citimini and the Britax are not in the same league - they are more of a mall-suburb stroller than a serious walking stroller. And I hated the seat on the Citimini and found the handlebar really uncomfortable. With the issues you are considering, I'd go for a more all-terrain stroller, unless you are worried about space on a bus or the weight and size of folding/lifting.
Cheaper options that come to mind are:
Valco TriMode (formerly known as Runabout)
Baby Jogger City Elite
MB Swift
BOB Revolution
These are all being listed at under $500 Cdn, from what I remember, some even less. I was sorely tempted by the Trimode, but didn't like the fold and it was a bit big and bulky and heavy to lift into the trunk. The Swift was pretty nice, too, but I didn't like the fold again (better than the Valco, and I'd have got used to it) and found the rubber on the handlebar uncomfortable. Both pushed well. The Valco is a workhorse stroller - used by people around here who walk a lot, because they don't have a car during the day, for shopping, school-run etc. Huge basket, great sunshade, etc. Am seriously considering buying a second-hand one for dd2 because she seems to be outgrowing her carriage in height and I need something that pushes really well for getting to shul, etc, esp in the snow!
Outnumbered
Posted: Aug 15 2011, 01:44 AM

K'nayna Harah

QUOTE (Zephyr @ Aug 14 2011, 05:25 AM)
So stroller-trikes are off the table. When I bought the MBUS, I spend $375 USD with the knowledge that this stroller would serve for three kids, which it has. Now it costs close to twice that, and it looks like my toddler is also our last child, so I can't justify the $600+ price tag when there are strollers that will serve my needs for the $250 and under price tag.

Aside from the Joovy I was also considering a Citi-mini, but the comparable Britax B-Agile is $30 less with a better basket (very important to me). I wish I could try the citi mini, the B-Agile and the Joovy Scooter and compare maneuverability and overall quality, but that's not an option. Anyone going out to BRU soon who wants to test drive for me? smile.gif

go with the B-agile over the city mini. The city mini is a nice enough carriage, but it has serious issues, and it is way overpriced for what it is. also the fabric does not hold up, My cousins looks like its been through ten kids instead of used for 2 for 8 months. Mine, is very lightly used and already has rips in the fabric. Look at Baby gizmos review on the B agile, it has so many pluses over the citi mini. (I wish they had a double comparable to the citi mini)

I HATE the citi mini basket. It is AWFUL. Thats why I didn't get it at first, what I did end up with was worse. I actually plan on a BRU trip, so if they have it on the floor, I'll take a look for you. (providing I don't forget). Also some Joovy strollers are only available online, so I'm not sure I'll be able to see it for real.
Outnumbered
Posted: Aug 15 2011, 01:46 AM

K'nayna Harah

QUOTE (Chavelamomela @ Aug 14 2011, 09:29 AM)
Zeph, what about resale value? If you spend a lot on a pricey (but excellent) stroller now, will, in 2-years, you be able to resell it for enough? If you can resell it for, say $200, would that make up the difference in price between the less-awesome stroller and the better one?

or possibly finding someone willing to sell a good condition MBUS!
emunahbutterfly
Posted: Aug 16 2011, 03:23 PM

Fanatic

Member No.: 100

ok i have no idea what a joovy or a mbus are but by far my fave strollers hav been my cheapest ones. a 25 dollar at toysr us 7 ish yrs ago and a 70 sheck virtually identical one slightly morethan a yr ago. you must know them, the umbrella hamock style strollers with real umbrella handles? you can buy or make a cloth basket for the back and they steer great! fold up great and the groceries ( not too many of course) can go on the handles. and if it "dies" b4 you are done with it. you can buy another guilt free. better than inglesina, phil and teds or any of the more complicated inexpensive strollers i've owned. not for a new born but great for a sitting baby up till 3 or 4.
Zephyr
Posted: Aug 17 2011, 11:02 AM

I've tried those little umbrella strollers of friends and they way they handle just isn't for me.

I tried a City Mini IRL in a shop and it's definitely the Toyota of strollers (without all those pesky gas pedal issues). It's pretty much exactly what I am looking for.

So now it's down to the Mini or the Britax. Outnumbered, I hear what you are saying about the Britax, but do you know anything about the foam handlebar? I've had allergic reactions to the foam on Combis as well as on the Bugaboo Bee (it was in the store, and even though it was totally out of budget I tried it, and was very underwhelmed). Regardless of the Bee just not being that special a stroller for the $, I held the handlebar for maybe 2 minutes and my hands itched badly for the rest of the day.

Do you know if it's the same sort of foam? I suppose I can use a handlebar cover, but those are annoying. It's strange how a little detail can be a deal breaker!
Zephyr
Posted: Aug 19 2011, 05:28 AM

Update:

We've decided to go with the Britax for two reasons:

1. Dh won't kick the back wheel axle when he walks. He's not the primary user of the stroller, but he sometimes does take the baby out for walks at night and it's something that he dislikes about the MBUS (and never said a word, until he saw the Babygizmo Britax review). (Also, the girl who lives with us sometimes takes the baby places in the stroller, and she is also tall. And 25. And single. And pretty, and studies chinese medicine. If you know anyone...).

2. It's 2" (5 cm) narrower than the MBUS and the City Mini. Getting through the narrow aisles in stores here can mean tricky navigation, and the narrower stroller will be helpful!

3. I saw that Stroller Purists (yes, they are out there, and give great advice) don't love the Britax, so I asked one why. The reason behind the general disdain is that the Britax is an improvement over the City Mini, instead of a novel design. "City Mini but better" is fine with me! And if I need a handlebar cover, I'll make one.

I'm getting the red. I should have it in a month. smile.gif
gilima
Posted: Aug 20 2011, 10:43 PM

Fanatic

thumb.gif I have a red stroller, love the red smile.gif
sounds like you made a good choice, titchandshi!
« Next Oldest | Baby Gear | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1495 seconds | Archive