InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Jewish Attachment Parenting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Torah/arts/design et;???
gilima
Posted: Apr 28 2011, 01:01 PM

Fanatic

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23

I just wrote such along post but then realized I hadn't even asked what I inteded to and it was very confusing...so I am starting over and will try to make it short.
I am hoping that one of you mamas in Israel will have some suggestions, you can pm me.
We are looking into different options for my second dd who is 18.
At first she was going to go to "emunah vaomanut" but the bottom line is we just don't have the $$$$$ right now. starting at $ 22,000, even with a few scholarships it would still be around $18,000!!! THis has been a very difficult and trying year for us finacially.
She has been homeschooled since 10th grade is artisticly inclined, loves design, fashion etc; and has dreams of going to f.i.t..........
She would ideally like to combine torah study with arts/design.....
Since this seminary is not working out we are looking into other options.

My brother and his family live in Efrat and she is close to them and her cousins and also identifies herself more with them in her yiddishkeit. She can get by in hebrew, it is not great but when she goes to israel she picks it back up fast, so we thought maybe she could go to a non american program and my sil has not gotten back to me about that yet ( she has a lot going on right now)but my dd is welcome and comfortable living with them.
I have concerns about her being in an israeli program too since I don't know how she would fit in socially, and also while she wants to learn she does not want to be in a strict environment, but a more relaxed one, not somewhere that she will be looked upon unfavorably if she wears short sleeves or short skirts etc; She is a very focused on what she wants to do with herself and what direction she is going. She is mature and not looking for the "going for a a year for a good time "party " atmosphere kind of thing, that alot of her american friends do.
To add to all this, one of my nephews was here just before pesach and was telling her that she should go do a year of sherut and then continue with her studies.

sigh.gif what to do?
On the one hand an opportunity to learn torah, strengthen her connection, be in Israel, on the other hand let her go to f.i.t. or another school of design.
Maybe sherut would be the best thing for her?
Maybe she would love taking classes without being in a full time semminary?
she could live in efrat and take classes in yerushalayim?
suggestions arewelcome
Chavelamomela
Posted: Apr 28 2011, 01:52 PM

Attached to my computer...is this AP?

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Have you looked at Emuna College? They have a strong arts program for religious girls. My impression of the school is that the students are Dati, but all levels of tsniut are observed on campus. (I don't know much else about the program, but I'm sure it's worth looking into).
emunahbutterfly
Posted: Apr 28 2011, 02:43 PM

Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 100

i was also going to suggest michlelet emuna. i have 2 friends who went there and i know that one of their hebrew was not at all great when she was learning there. and she got by fine. all diferent styles of tzniut are there. she could live in efrat and commute. it is part art classes and part torah classes. maybe she'll love it and decide to do her degree there even? who knows! i think she would love the girls there too.they also have dorms if that is an option for you financially. xoxoxo -gila
LearningFromExperience
Posted: Apr 30 2011, 04:06 PM

Clearly neglecting my kids to be here this much

Member No.: 26

Usually Israeli girls don't go to Midrasha straight after h.s., but do Sherut Leumi first, and Midrasha after.

Migdal Oz is in your brother's area, the women's Beit Midrash at the Gush. It's a very serious Beit Midrash, but they also support people who are artistic. In fact, some girls there developed a beautiful illustrated Megillah this year, google Migdal Oz Megillah for pix.

There are also programs around that have several hours of learning for girls who are in Sherut Leumi - that would be in Hebrew, probably, but if she's in Sherut Leumi, she might be housed in Yerushalaim, and then she can go to the Israel Center for their varied classes.

I don't know that much about the processes of Sherut Leumi, as my girls aren't at that stage just yet, but I understand that one has to apply and be accepted to various jobs that are available.

Perhaps your daughter might find an outlet for her spirituality and her Chessed by working with schoolchildren or special-ed kids, there are also art therapy programs.

Your brother's family should be able to put you in touch with people who can give you concrete advice.

One thing I would say with confidence is that it will make a very big difference in her life, long-term, if she spends this year in FIT or in Israel.
gilima
Posted: Apr 30 2011, 10:16 PM

Fanatic

thanks for all your replies smile.gif
I am going to look into emmuna it sounds like a good option.
ITA with you lfe, this year could give her so much, and so much opportunity for growth and spirituality that is for life. Iam not at all crazy about her going to f.i.t., especially straight after high school and I think being in Israel, she might decide to stay and study there, she will have more options.
emunahbutterfly
Posted: May 2 2011, 03:22 PM

Fanatic

there are also israeli midrasha options. have you considered those?
gilima
Posted: May 4 2011, 07:56 AM

Fanatic

We are considering all options, even the option that she will stay home and do some part time learning and work close by.
Right now she has been having migraines, so we are just trying to work through this first.
She has also been doing some thinking and is a little hesitant about being in a full time dorm style program. She was so happy to leave school and homeschool and while I'm sure no program she would go to would be as repressive and ( in her words) hypocritical as her school, she is also very independent, able to make decisions on her own, has self discipline, thinks out of the box etc; and doesn't love just going along with group activities etc;
so we shall see what will be smile.gif
LearningFromExperience
Posted: May 4 2011, 11:35 AM

Sherut Leumi girls live in apartments completely unsupervised. I understand that dorms for girls who are in Israeli Midrashot, which are for girls after Sherut Leumi, are also ... not exactly repressive.

Even American programs vary greatly in the degree of supervision. Neveh has several sub-schools (10? 20? I loose track wink.gif ) some of which place the girls in apartments around Jerusalem and let them do pretty much as they please.
gilima
Posted: May 4 2011, 02:43 PM

Fanatic

thanks lfe, a friend of mine also just suggested neve, which Ihadn't thought of before and I am going to look into that to.
emunahbutterfly
Posted: May 5 2011, 01:29 PM

Fanatic

gilla, maybe you could tell us alittle bit about your dd religiously. what would she be looking for in learning? would she want to be in a city or the country? near y-lem or in the north. I am familiar with tzofnat the israeli midrasha in tzfat that is associated withthe hesder yeshiva. this is for girls who are serious religiously and very spiritual (~tzfat~) they learn chasidus etc... Also there is another midrasha in the golan called bat chen also spiritual and with an emphasis on art dance music as well. but less "serious religiously." tzfat is more "chardal" (~tzfat~). maybe other women here who live in other parts of israel are familiar with midrashot in their areas. these programs are not at all repressive like religious high schools in the u.s. they can't be, even the american one's can't be that much. these kids are old enough to pick up and leave if they are not respected. guys basically only get kicked out of my husband's yeshiva for pot (which is illegal). I know a girl who was kicked out of a place my good friend teaches for "aggressively looking for her soulmate."
gilima
Posted: May 9 2011, 03:24 PM

Fanatic

She is not interested in serious religious studies and would do better in an easy going more inspirational atmosphere. She is not chardal.... or anything that starts with a "cha"
She was in chabad schools till tenth grade and unfortunately, those 2 years in the high school she was in was enough to turn her off ......
B"H, She has been home the last 2 years and has good self esteem and knows she has worth even if she is not "chassidish" or as supposedly "heilig" as some of the others seem to believe they are lol.gif ( sorry I just had to add that, someone much younger who is actually in the youth program dd leads on shabbos didn't want to include one of the other girls in a game and when my dd tried to tell her that's not "ahavat yisrael etc; she promptly told my dd that she is more "heilig" than her and the other girl beccause her imma told her and her imma is a rebbetzien and she has the name of a heilig rebbetzien................yup, I kid you not!!!! dd learns with a rebbetzin twice a week, usually some chassidus and halacha and thankfully wouldn't dream of not keeping shabbos and kashrut. But other than that, she is very modern, artsy, sweet, sings, loves music and is not at all unaware of the pop culture, fashion, trends etc;
It seems that this is kind of a crossroads/decision making/future for my 3 older kids.
My oldest dd who is 23 and has been teaching pre-school for the last 4 years and just did a year of education, finally decided that she doesn't always want to be in early childhood ed and is going to work part time next year and G-D willing transfering to O.T. smile.gif
The school she works in is sooo amazing and she has learned so much, it is a chabad school based on reggio, with even elements of waldorf in the physical aspect of the classrooms, all natural woods, serene coclors, natural toys etc; they grow their own vegetables, worms, hatched chicken eggs, it is open ended...just an amazing place, I am so happy that, is where she got to learn about early childhood ed.
My 17 year old son finishes shiur gimmel this year and we just don't know where he will go next year and whether he will continue to the next level or do something else....
Lots to think about smile.gif
emunahbutterfly
Posted: May 19 2011, 03:32 PM

Fanatic

check out bat chen!!!
gilima
Posted: Jul 7 2011, 06:35 PM

Fanatic

Sooooo,
after all the back and forth she decided to do sherut leumi!!!!

She wants to work with kids with down syndrome/ special needs at shalva in jerusalem and we are waiting to hear back if it is going to work out!
Right now she is working at a day camp and mid aug she fies to Israel.......
in just over a month from now.
thanks for all your suggestions smile.gif
npl
Posted: Jul 7 2011, 07:47 PM

Member No.: 146

Glad she found something she wants to do.
I had just thought of a place she might enjoy learning, though! Midreshet Tzvia in Yerushalayim. Don't really know anything about it, except that my brother's MIL teaches there, and she's fabulous artist.
They have a website - you can find it through Reb Google!
LearningFromExperience
Posted: Jul 10 2011, 02:21 AM

I know people who did their Sherut in Shalva, it was very good. I hope it works out for her. If not, there are other places around the country.
« Next Oldest | Higher Education | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1551 seconds | Archive