InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to NY IslandersCountry. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest.
This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections like Gameday threads, Rumors and Trades, and more. Use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free to be part of the most knowledgeable Islander fan base there is. Hockey novices and Ranger fans need not apply.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

"I want to be better than I was last year."
-Islanders proclaimed "Superstar", Kyle Okposo
DAYS UNTIL TRAINING CAMP

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Isles Erase LaFontaine From Picture, WSJ article
Snowman
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 09:52 PM

Keepin' It Cool... Keepin' It Real

Group: Admin
Member No.: 15

Before every home game this season, the New York Islanders have commemorated their 40th anniversary in the National Hockey League by dimming the house lights and queuing up a nostalgic video.

For five minutes, the Nassau Coliseum scoreboard comes to life. It flickers through a montage of clips, set to stirring orchestral music, that recall the one thing this struggling franchise still has in abundance: a rich history of great moments made possible by great hockey players.

But anyone remotely familiar with the team's history will ask the same question after watching this video: What happened to one of the most famous Islanders of all, Pat LaFontaine?

LaFontaine, arguably the Islanders' best and most popular player in the late 1980s and early 1990s, remains one of their most significant figures. Yet the video is one of several instances when the Islanders seem intent to pretend he doesn't exist—they've left him out of their Hall of Fame and once neglected to mention his presence at a charity bike ride. It's one of the rare instances in sports history where a professional team has taken pains to whitewash a player from its history.

--------------------
NY Islanders Hockey: A New Hope
WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpguser posted image WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpg
Snowman
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 10:00 PM

Keepin' It Cool... Keepin' It Real

Member No.: 15

Yeah, Wang is the best. What a great owner, great guy. blink.gif

The man is a liar and a snake. Not because of this article, but only because this article is just another small piece to an ever growing puzzle.

--------------------
NY Islanders Hockey: A New Hope
WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpguser posted image WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpg
OlTimeHockey
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 03:52 AM

All Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,963

QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 2 2012, 10:00 PM)
Yeah, Wang is the best. What a great owner, great guy. blink.gif

The man is a liar and a snake. Not because of this article, but only because this article is just another small piece to an ever growing puzzle.

It's not a puzzle. It's a giant 800 lb gorilla no one wants to acknowledge. I saw the damn thing 13 years ago and got hell for pointing at it.

Funny how what he did to employees and corporate figures he does to Patty. (well, no jailtime, thankfully)

Patty doesn't get a hot dog, I guess.

--------------------
"clearly it's Rick DiPietro's stupidity that's put the islanders in this situation getting into an altercation when a game was over..." Keith Jones on VS

"But the Coliseum became a repository for all the team's troubles, a convenient scapegoat. There were suggestions that no major free agent ever would set foot in such a decrepit place. We have two words for anyone making that argument: Fenway Park. History says free agents would play in an old boxcar if they got enough money and had a chance to win." - Mark Herrmann

查理斯 · 請死你混蛋
MMingE
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 07:21 AM

All Star

Member No.: 191

If you look at the comments section, it looks like the kool-aid drinking apologists are at it again laugh.gif trying to defend Chuckie Cheap

--------------------
user posted image
mjc
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 08:05 AM

4th line

Member No.: 4,707

I find it funny how Milbury got to chime in. Calling LaFontaine a coward for quitting an unpaid position, when Milbury himself quit as HC of the Isles not once, but twice.
stevedepot
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 08:33 AM

WISENHEIMER

Member No.: 25

OMG, that NYI FAN CENTRAL is such a clown.
Just read his comments on there.

Maybe he had a secret crush on Chris Botta and felt disheartened to learn he was married with children.

That guys is so desperate to be get a job WITH the Isles to help validate his psychobabble.
Always wondered if he was just another computer bound nerdling who cannot get laid.

The article speaks for itself and if ANYONE of these detractors had a clue or personally spoken to people involved with this treatment of LaFontaine, they wouldn't be so quick to stick their noses up Wang's anus.

btw, good morning every bloody!

laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Showing zero tolerance for koolaiders and SnoWang apologists since 2007.
This lifelong Islanders fan is sick and tired of pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.

I long for the day when I can show up to Charles Wang's wake with a shovel and
patiently wait for everyone to pay their respects so I can pay mine by burying the bastid.
stevedepot
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 08:46 AM

WISENHEIMER

I'm sure NYI Fan Central will be pissed with this too...

ChrisBottaNHL: "Isles confirmed these events happened" - Wall St Journal on #Isles erasing of Pat LaFontaine: http://t.co/H9Kp2SAH

cool.gif

--------------------
This lifelong Islanders fan is sick and tired of pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.

patiently wait for everyone to pay their respects so I can pay mine by burying the bastid.
stevedepot
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 09:00 AM

WISENHEIMER

And just in case many fans still hold a grudge towards LaFontaine's hold out and ultimate trade.

ChrisBottaNHL: As for LaFontaine holdout/trade, agent Meehan maintained and Bill Torrey confirmed for me: #Isles owner Pickett broke a promise.

wink.gif

--------------------

4CUPZ
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 09:12 AM

HEAD OF SECURITY

Member No.: 3

I THINK WE FOUND HIS SOFT SPOT
AN UNMONITORED COMMENT SECTION

--------------------

user posted image
Webb20
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 09:28 AM

Godfather

Member No.: 1

Someone should post "NYI Fan Central is a tool of Charles Wang".

Snowman, not another piece of a puzzle, but another piece torn from the fabric that is the NY Islanders. Wang just rips piece by piece, until only the nyi2.gif will be our only link to this once great franchise. It's become completely unrecognizable.

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

We're all Islanders Some of us are Islanders, others are city dwellers
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
4CUPZ
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 09:32 AM

HEAD OF SECURITY

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Webb20 @ Apr 3 2012, 10:28 AM)
Someone should post "NYI Fan Central is a tool of Charles Wang".

Snowman, not another piece of a puzzle, but another piece torn from the fabric that is the NY Islanders. Wang just rips piece by piece, until only the nyi2.gif will be our only link to this once great franchise. It's become completely unrecognizable.

I SO MISS THE DAYS
THIS JACKWAGON GRACED US WITH HIS IMPORTANCE

--------------------

user posted image
stevedepot
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 11:44 AM

WISENHEIMER

I've repeated this story several times over the years.
When my friend John was dying from Leukemia instead of being in college with me many years ago,
Pat LaFontaine visited him in the hospital. Oh he had somewhere else he was supposed to be next yet he stayed and talked. Always approachable, always sincere and honest. A man of his word vs many over the years in our org who weren't.

My friend was buried with the same Pat LaFontaine jersey autographed by Pat.
I have the other one and a stick that was given to me.
Those 2 items mean NOTHING compared to the time and sincere heartfelt words Patty offered to John, his family and his friends.

Was and always will be one of favorite Islanders because he's just as dynamic off the ice as he was on.

--------------------

25yearfan
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 12:16 PM

You can call me Joe.

Member No.: 194

QUOTE (stevedepot @ Apr 3 2012, 12:44 PM)
I've repeated this story several times over the years.
When my friend John was dying from Leukemia instead of being in college with me many years ago,
Pat LaFontaine visited him in the hospital. Oh he had somewhere else he was supposed to be next yet he stayed and talked. Always approachable, always sincere and honest. A man of his word vs many over the years in our org who weren't.

My friend was buried with the same Pat LaFontaine jersey autographed by Pat.
I have the other one and a stick that was given to me.
Those 2 items mean NOTHING compared to the time and sincere heartfelt words Patty offered to John, his family and his friends.

Was and always will be one of favorite Islanders because he's just as dynamic off the ice as he was on.

Sad to hear about your friend, but great & not surprising to hear how Pat conducted himself.

It's evident on NHL network (making of a royal) & at the rink (I see him coaching frequently before/after my son's games). He's a big part of why they just took the national championship.

--------------------
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

user posted image
stevedepot
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 12:55 PM

WISENHEIMER

Had a hunch about something, went and checked the twitter updates from all the blog box members.
NOT 1 single retweet or mentions of LaFontaine.

WTF???

ok, check that LHH just posted something.

https://twitter.com/...234973672153089

Sometimes I forget the #isles drama LHH folks debate day & night is news to outsiders. "Pat La-who?" has been running joke since the fall.

This post has been edited by stevedepot on Apr 3 2012, 01:00 PM

--------------------

OlTimeHockey
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 03:03 PM

All Star

Member No.: 3,963

They push Isles propaganda, but it comes off more as “Kim Jong Il had 11 holes-in-one en route to shooting 38 under” than anything else. The truth keeps coming out.

I love this quote.

--------------------
"clearly it's Rick DiPietro's stupidity that's put the islanders in this situation getting into an altercation when a game was over..." Keith Jones on VS

"But the Coliseum became a repository for all the team's troubles, a convenient scapegoat. There were suggestions that no major free agent ever would set foot in such a decrepit place. We have two words for anyone making that argument: Fenway Park. History says free agents would play in an old boxcar if they got enough money and had a chance to win." - Mark Herrmann

查理斯 · 請死你混蛋
bumpkin
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 03:12 AM

2nd line

Member No.: 1,048

The ownership/management around here are consistent in showing just how classy they are. I think it is the building.

--------------------
It's not like we're getting killed out there every night...
Webb20
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 08:26 AM

Godfather

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
bumpkin
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 05:47 PM

2nd line

Member No.: 1,048

QUOTE (Webb20 @ Apr 4 2012, 08:26 AM)
user posted image

Did you steal this from the Owner's office?
Or, are you sure there is only one guy crossed out?
Finally, what does the 83 Cup Team photo look like?

--------------------
It's not like we're getting killed out there every night...
MMingE
Posted: Apr 5 2012, 06:04 AM

All Star

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (bumpkin @ Apr 4 2012, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (Webb20 @ Apr 4 2012, 08:26 AM)
user posted image

Did you steal this from the Owner's office?
Or, are you sure there is only one guy crossed out?
Finally, what does the 83 Cup Team photo look like?

Like this:

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image
Webb20
Posted: Apr 5 2012, 07:37 AM

Godfather

user posted image

What is missing from the logo on the ice?

--------------------
user posted image

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Islanders News | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1532 seconds | Archive