zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to NY IslandersCountry. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest.
This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections like Gameday threads, Rumors and Trades, and more. Use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free to be part of the most knowledgeable Islander fan base there is. Hockey novices and Ranger fans need not apply.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

''The story of the year, so far, is how we find different ways to win,'' Nelson said. ''The last two games, we've played well defensively.'' The Islanders have won three straight.
SHOPPING DAYS 'TIL CHRISTMAS

Pages: (30) « First ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

NEW ARENA in Nassau Thread
Snowman
Posted: May 6 2012, 02:06 PM

Keepin' It Cool... Keepin' It Real

Group: Admin
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Isles75 @ May 6 2012, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (Acards @ May 3 2012, 02:00 PM)
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/03/gal...-for-islanders/

Gallof: As Things Die In Nassau, A Hope Grows In Brooklyn For Islanders
Barclays Center Quickly Becoming A More And More Viable Option For Wang

I wouldn't bank on ANYTHING that comes from a Gallof article. Just saying.

Gallof has been right with both the LHP and the referendum. As far as general hockey knowledge, I'm not interested in his opinions. When it comes to the political aspect, he has been right on numerous occasions. Only issue I have with him currently is he flip flopped in a major way on this Brooklyn thing. For the longest time he was telling anyone who would listen that Wang wouldn't go to Brooklyn because he wouldn't be guaranteed certain things in his lease. Said there was no way. He's done a 180 on that front now saying Brooklyn is serious. When it comes to Nassau County and the TOH I listen to what he says. Anything else though take it with a grain of salt.

--------------------
NY Islanders Hockey: A New Hope
WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpguser posted image WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpg
Isles75
Posted: May 6 2012, 03:40 PM

3rd line

Group: Members
Member No.: 539

QUOTE (Snowman @ May 6 2012, 02:06 PM)

Gallof has been right with both the LHP and the referendum. As far as general hockey knowledge, I'm not interested in his opinions. When it comes to the political aspect, he has been right on numerous occasions. Only issue I have with him currently is he flip flopped in a major way on this Brooklyn thing. For the longest time he was telling anyone who would listen that Wang wouldn't go to Brooklyn because he wouldn't be guaranteed certain things in his lease. Said there was no way. He's done a 180 on that front now saying Brooklyn is serious. When it comes to Nassau County and the TOH I listen to what he says. Anything else though take it with a grain of salt.

Point is, as bad as relations are between Team Wang and Team Hempstead, it doesn't mean Nassau is done. Everybody involved, Wang, Nassau/TOH Politicians and Bettman are doing their fair share of lip service. But again, there is still 3 years until doomsday. There is still time, despite what everybody and their so called sources are saying. This story has had many chapters, but the book isn't finished, yet.

Two weeks in October 1962, two world powers were prepared to end the world. Everybody and a source was saying there was no hope for a solution. JFK and Khrushchev won't budge. That's what the headlines said. But, that didn't happen. JFK and Khrushchev were actually communicating through other channels and come to a compromise, despite what everybody thought they knew or were being told. This is an example of something with far more important
ramifications and far better coverage, but everybody still didn't know everything.

There is still time and if everybody involved wants to return their nose to their faces it can happen. Only one who really scares me in all this is Charlie Wang. Stubbornness to idiotic levels is his calling card. After all, TOH aside, it was Charlie Wang who turned out the light on "his" lighthouse because it wasn't going to be on all 77 acres.

--------------------
PhotobucketPhotobucket
It is time for Gary Bettman to declare the Islanders are in a State of Emergency and the NHL will simply
not allow the current ownership to maintain the franchise as currently neglected.

Wang and Snow can handle things! They're smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... they're smart and they want respect!
tsharaf
Posted: May 6 2012, 04:58 PM

You've Just Been Served!

Member No.: 96

QUOTE (Isles75 @ May 6 2012, 03:40 PM)

Point is, as bad as relations are between Team Wang and Team Hempstead, it doesn't mean Nassau is done. Everybody involved, Wang, Nassau/TOH Politicians and Bettman are doing their fair share of lip service. But again, there is still 3 years until doomsday. There is still time, despite what everybody and their so called sources are saying. This story has had many chapters, but the book isn't finished, yet.

Two weeks in October 1962, two world powers were prepared to end the world. Everybody and a source was saying there was no hope for a solution. JFK and Khrushchev won't budge. That's what the headlines said. But, that didn't happen. JFK and Khrushchev were actually communicating through other channels and come to a compromise, despite what everybody thought they knew or were being told. This is an example of something with far more important
ramifications and far better coverage, but everybody still didn't know everything.

There is still time and if everybody involved wants to return their nose to their faces it can happen. Only one who really scares me in all this is Charlie Wang. Stubbornness to idiotic levels is his calling card. After all, TOH aside, it was Charlie Wang who turned out the light on "his" lighthouse because it wasn't going to be on all 77 acres.

As Snowy said, Gallof has a long track record of being reliable on this issue. If he says its dead or near dead, I believe him. They have til year-end to break ground - after that, anything's possible.

--------------------
The Boss - The Greatest Goal Scorer Ever
LEDZEP
Posted: May 6 2012, 05:27 PM

The Best That Ever Skated 80-81-82-83

Member No.: 49

Isles will stay at NVMC punk.gif punk.gif punk.gif punk.gif

--------------------
Sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I've got one thing I got to do... user posted image

user posted image
Come in with the milk

"A leader, once convinced a particular course of action is the right one,
must have the determination to stick with it and be undaunted when the going gets rough."

Ronald Reagan
OlTimeHockey
Posted: May 7 2012, 02:44 AM

All Star

Member No.: 3,963

QUOTE (tsharaf @ May 6 2012, 04:58 PM)

As Snowy said, Gallof has a long track record of being reliable on this issue. If he says its dead or near dead, I believe him. They have til year-end to break ground - after that, anything's possible.

They have til 12/31/2015.

Then the Isles have to arrange an extension. Month to month or a one year up of five year up.

They can agree on an arena or not.

It's just a tenancy agreement. Bettman is drama. Wang is what he is - whatever pays him the most. Brooklyn is the threat to the landlord. Queens if the dream deal you hope happens so you can get a nicer pad.

If you wanna say it's anything more, YOU LIKE DRAMA. But for the sake of rational argument, the Isles have no time limit on renovation unless Wang is insisting on it. So far, only Bettman has said anything is imperative. Wang has postured a few BIG deals to make him BIG money. If he doesn't get those, then I bet whatever costs him the least and makes him the most is what will happen.

Even if it's signed on new years eve 2014. And if they don't agree to a renovation until 2017, it'll happen then. If they play in Brooklyn or not. The NVMC will be renovated in that case. Or replaced. The shovels in the ground thing is only valid if Wang makes it valid that they won't remain if he doesn't get a free new arena or whatever by whatever drop dead date.

--------------------
"clearly it's Rick DiPietro's stupidity that's put the islanders in this situation getting into an altercation when a game was over..." Keith Jones on VS

"But the Coliseum became a repository for all the team's troubles, a convenient scapegoat. There were suggestions that no major free agent ever would set foot in such a decrepit place. We have two words for anyone making that argument: Fenway Park. History says free agents would play in an old boxcar if they got enough money and had a chance to win." - Mark Herrmann

查理斯 · 請死你混蛋
Lexhair
Posted: May 7 2012, 11:17 AM

Habitual Line Stepper

Member No.: 12

Apparently the NHL has an ownership deal in place with the Coyotes that will keep them in Phoenix so Quebec is a live shot again for the Isles IMO.
tsharaf
Posted: May 7 2012, 11:54 AM

You've Just Been Served!

Member No.: 96

QUOTE (OlTimeHockey @ May 7 2012, 02:44 AM)

Then the Isles have to arrange an extension. Month to month or a one year up of five year up.

It's just a tenancy agreement. Bettman is drama. Wang is what he is - whatever pays him the most. Brooklyn is the threat to the landlord. Queens if the dream deal you hope happens so you can get a nicer pad.

If you wanna say it's anything more, YOU LIKE DRAMA. But for the sake of rational argument, the Isles have no time limit on renovation unless Wang is insisting on it. So far, only Bettman has said anything is imperative. Wang has postured a few BIG deals to make him BIG money. If he doesn't get those, then I bet whatever costs him the least and makes him the most is what will happen.

Even if it's signed on new years eve 2014. And if they don't agree to a renovation until 2017, it'll happen then. If they play in Brooklyn or not. The NVMC will be renovated in that case. Or replaced. The shovels in the ground thing is only valid if Wang makes it valid that they won't remain if he doesn't get a free new arena or whatever by whatever drop dead date.

Why in the world would the team wait until 2015? Sorry, but I don't think so.

You are going to need between 2-3 years to build a new arena. You are telling me wait on an agreement until 2015 and have it complete by 2018? What would stop the team from going to Brooklyn then? The arena is already built and no waiting. Alot is made of the attendance, but I read somewhere recently that the 14,500 at Barclay's would be equivalent to 17k+ where they are now.

If a NVMC renovation is decided upon then there's probably have more time to play with. All owners do this sort of thing - does anyone remember Steinbrenner and "the Bronx is not safe" arguments of the late 90's? They were supposedly headed to NJ. Then, on his way out the door, Guiliani gave the Yanks and Mets sweetheart deals.

Planning and foresight needs to go into this - you do not wait until the last minute as you are suggesting.

--------------------
The Boss - The Greatest Goal Scorer Ever
puckhead
Posted: May 7 2012, 12:40 PM

All Star

Member No.: 480

The answer is simple...................go to Brooklyn despite the lower seating capacity. And just jack up ticket prices significantly to make up for the shortfall. And don't increase payroll and they'll be fine.

People will pay for it.
OlTimeHockey
Posted: May 7 2012, 02:06 PM

All Star

QUOTE (tsharaf @ May 7 2012, 11:54 AM)

You are going to need between 2-3 years to build a new arena. You are telling me wait on an agreement until 2015 and have it complete by 2018? What would stop the team from going to Brooklyn then? The arena is already built and no waiting. Alot is made of the attendance, but I read somewhere recently that the 14,500 at Barclay's would be equivalent to 17k+ where they are now.

If a NVMC renovation is decided upon then there's probably have more time to play with. All owners do this sort of thing - does anyone remember Steinbrenner and "the Bronx is not safe" arguments of the late 90's? They were supposedly headed to NJ. Then, on his way out the door, Guiliani gave the Yanks and Mets sweetheart deals.

Planning and foresight needs to go into this - you do not wait until the last minute as you are suggesting.

Why would they wait? I don't know. But can they wait, absolutely.

This should be done right now but isn't. But in the interest of securing the highest revenue producing model (Wang as lessor, not tenant), it's in Wang's interest to renovate or replace the NVMC site to get the biggest revenue stream possible.

So, if it's a lease signed in 2015 and the building isn't ready until 2018, so be it. He has an arrangement to use Ratner's building while construction is underway, but more importantly, he has the revenue. He goes back to SMG days with Brooklyn, and that was unacceptable, correct?

And we gotta be fair and remember two things:

1. LI's economy can and likely will rebound.
2. A remodeled or new arena allows him to charge more per ticket as does Brooklyn.

So, 17,000 seats equals 14,500 seats, unless they both charge the sate rate per seat.

--------------------
"clearly it's Rick DiPietro's stupidity that's put the islanders in this situation getting into an altercation when a game was over..." Keith Jones on VS

"But the Coliseum became a repository for all the team's troubles, a convenient scapegoat. There were suggestions that no major free agent ever would set foot in such a decrepit place. We have two words for anyone making that argument: Fenway Park. History says free agents would play in an old boxcar if they got enough money and had a chance to win." - Mark Herrmann

查理斯 · 請死你混蛋
Isles75
Posted: May 7 2012, 03:36 PM

3rd line

Member No.: 539

QUOTE (OlTimeHockey @ May 7 2012, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (tsharaf @ May 7 2012, 11:54 AM)

Why would they wait? I don't know. But can they wait, absolutely.

This should be done right now but isn't. But in the interest of securing the highest revenue producing model (Wang as lessor, not tenant), it's in Wang's interest to renovate or replace the NVMC site to get the biggest revenue stream possible.

So, if it's a lease signed in 2015 and the building isn't ready until 2018, so be it. He has an arrangement to use Ratner's building while construction is underway, but more importantly, he has the revenue. He goes back to SMG days with Brooklyn, and that was unacceptable, correct?

And we gotta be fair and remember two things:

1. LI's economy can and likely will rebound.
2. A remodeled or new arena allows him to charge more per ticket as does Brooklyn.

So, 17,000 seats equals 14,500 seats, unless they both charge the sate rate per seat.

I also believe that after 2015, SMG is no longer contractually tied to the Coliseum. Giving Wang more options of either running that aspect of the Coliseum's day-to-day operations or hiring better/cheaper firm if he likes.

Right now, if Wang books the Coliseum, he makes money. Why would he throw away 3 more years of that for being a very limited Tenant again. Prokhorov in Brooklyn has the deep pockets and he just put a lot of that into the Nets and Barclays Center. I just don't see him or even Ranter giving Wang a generous cut of the luxury boxes, advertising and non-Islanders concession revenue. They have money to recoup. But if I wanted to, I could say a source told me that Prokhorov/Ratner have a ton of money invested and are looking to recoup that money. But that's pretty obvious.

So, of course Prokhorov/Ratner are very enthusiastic about the Islanders joining them at Barclays. They want them as a tenant. To profit off of them when their main act—Nets and concerts—are not booked.

--------------------
PhotobucketPhotobucket
It is time for Gary Bettman to declare the Islanders are in a State of Emergency and the NHL will simply
not allow the current ownership to maintain the franchise as currently neglected.

Wang and Snow can handle things! They're smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... they're smart and they want respect!
Shooter
Posted: May 7 2012, 09:17 PM

All Star

Member No.: 453

QUOTE (puckhead @ May 7 2012, 12:40 PM)
The answer is simple...................go to Brooklyn despite the lower seating capacity. And just jack up ticket prices significantly to make up for the shortfall. And don't increase payroll and they'll be fine.

People will pay for it.

People will pay for what? To watch DP play another ten years? To watch aging defensemen finish out their final years here?
LEDZEP
Posted: May 7 2012, 09:24 PM

The Best That Ever Skated 80-81-82-83

Member No.: 49

QUOTE (Shooter @ May 7 2012, 10:17 PM)
The answer is simple...................go to Brooklyn despite the lower seating capacity.  And just jack up ticket prices significantly to make up for the shortfall.  And don't increase payroll and they'll be fine.

People will pay for it.

People will pay for what? To watch DP play another ten years? To watch aging defensemen finish out their final years here?

To watch DP play another ten years punk.gif banana.gif punk.gif banana.gif

--------------------
Sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I've got one thing I got to do... user posted image

user posted image
Come in with the milk

"A leader, once convinced a particular course of action is the right one,
must have the determination to stick with it and be undaunted when the going gets rough."

Ronald Reagan
puckhead
Posted: May 8 2012, 12:11 PM

All Star

Member No.: 480

QUOTE (Shooter @ May 7 2012, 09:17 PM)
The answer is simple...................go to Brooklyn despite the lower seating capacity.  And just jack up ticket prices significantly to make up for the shortfall.  And don't increase payroll and they'll be fine.

People will pay for it.

People are already paying for that now Shooter. Except it would be in a brand spanking new arena.

In other words, for diehards like us.....................it doesn't f'ing matter where they play. The same sht will go on and people will pay for it.
Rub Ur Ducky
Posted: May 9 2012, 08:38 AM

4th line

Member No.: 4,532

I dont think Brooklyn will happen..It isnt a hockey arena, and Bettman has said he thinks its disconnected form the team's Nassau and Suffolk fan base...Whatever fan base there is
4CUPZ
Posted: May 9 2012, 08:50 AM

HEAD OF SECURITY

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Rub Ur Ducky @ May 9 2012, 09:38 AM)
I dont think Brooklyn will happen..It isnt a hockey arena, and Bettman has said he thinks its disconnected form the team's Nassau and Suffolk fan base...Whatever fan base there is

SINCE WHEN HAS BETTMAN WORRIED ABOUT THE FAN BASE?
HE'S TOO BUSY PATTING WANG ON THE BACK SAYING "ITS OK CHARLIE ITS OK"

--------------------
user posted image

YEP TAKING THAT LOSING TRADITION TO BROOKLYN
OlTimeHockey
Posted: May 9 2012, 02:17 PM

All Star

QUOTE (Rub Ur Ducky @ May 9 2012, 08:38 AM)

....left.

Wang sells and many come back. I'll pay to see them play only if that happens. disgraced.jpg

--------------------

查理斯 · 請死你混蛋
Rub Ur Ducky
Posted: May 11 2012, 04:46 PM

4th line

Member No.: 4,532

I'll always go to a couple of games no matter what...Bein doin that for 25 yrs
Webb20
Posted: May 21 2012, 10:54 AM

Godfather

Member No.: 1

Same old stuff

QUOTE (Team report)

The clock is ticking down to the waning seconds on the Islanders' pursuit of a new arena to replace outdated Nassau Coliseum.

With a lease that expires in 2015, and no commitment from local politicians to keep the Islanders on Long Island, the Islanders are on the radar of Bruce Ratner, the developer of Barclays Center in Brooklyn, which will house the NBA's Nets beginning next season.

"Charles Wang is a friend," Ratner said of the Islanders owner in late April. "I talk to him all the time. We've talked for years, and I think the major call is to make sure, first, the team stays in New York state. After that, we'll see what happens."
The Islanders have issued nothing but "no comments" to the local media about any arena issues in recent weeks, but, during a meeting with Associated Press sports editors in late April, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the existing Coliseum is "not a place that will be housing the Islanders any longer than their lease requires."
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg also has been noncommittal about bringing the Islanders from Long Island to one of New York City's outer boroughs, such as Brooklyn or Queens.

"That's up to the Barclays Center to try to attract people," Bloomberg said. "This is an arena that is built so they can have hockey here, and the more teams that are in New York, the better they are."

One potential sticking point is that the Barclays Center reportedly has been constructed to hold roughly 14,500 for hockey, a figure that would be the lowest in the NHL. The Islanders will play the New Jersey Devils at the new Brooklyn arena in a preseason game Oct. 2.

"Obviously, we're going to test it a little bit in the fall ... and we're very excited about it," said Brett Yormark, the CEO of both the Nets and the Barclays Center. "Within the first two weeks of tickets going on sale, we sold over 6,000 seats, so there is a built-in fan base in Brooklyn and we can accommodate NHL-quality hockey at the Barclays Center, and we're excited about it."

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

We're all Islanders Some of us are Islanders, others are city dwellers
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
stevedepot
Posted: May 21 2012, 12:14 PM

WISENHEIMER

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (4CUPZ @ May 9 2012, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (Rub Ur Ducky @ May 9 2012, 09:38 AM)

SINCE WHEN HAS BETTMAN WORRIED ABOUT THE FAN BASE?
HE'S TOO BUSY PATTING WANG ON THE BACK SAYING "ITS OK CHARLIE ITS OK"

Maybe he was just trying to burp him like the big baby he is? dontknow.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Showing zero tolerance for koolaiders and SnoWang apologists since 2007.
This lifelong Islanders fan is sick and tired of pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.

I long for the day when I can show up to Charles Wang's wake with a shovel and
patiently wait for everyone to pay their respects so I can pay mine by burying the bastid.
Webb20
Posted: Jun 10 2012, 07:17 AM

Godfather

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Bettman at the State of the NHL address)
"(Islanders owner) Charles Wang is continuing, despite tremendous frustration, to look at all options to keep the club in the metropolitan area," Bettman said, before adding "there is still time" for the Isles to keep the team on Long Island.

Not just a year ago he assured us that the Islanders are not leaving Long Island and that Brooklyn wasn't a viable option. Boy has he changed his tune.

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

We're all Islanders Some of us are Islanders, others are city dwellers
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Islanders News | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (30) « First ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1517 seconds | Archive