InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to NY IslandersCountry. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest.
This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections like Gameday threads, Rumors and Trades, and more. Use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free to be part of the most knowledgeable Islander fan base there is. Hockey novices and Ranger fans need not apply.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Islanders are 4-1 against the Bruins in their last five games.
SEASON OPENER

Pages: (102) « First ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Garth Snow, GO F YOURSELF!!!
Webb20
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 09:54 AM

Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Jackace @ Apr 4 2012, 10:18 AM)
I think Wang is grooming future GMs with similiar pedigrees as Snow.

But seriously, most clubs look for players out of the Canadian league due to limited success with college kids. Snow feels the opposite. And we wonder why we have such mediocre talent despite drafting high the past several seasons? I think there may be a connection to the # of college players on this team relative to other teams and this team's lack of success.

And I agree with you Steve that it should have no bearing where the talent comes from, as long as you develop it correctly. But you can infer from the article that other teams understand the limitations with college students and choose to focus on the Canadian systems instead. Except SnowWang who like to do things differently. I found it interesting that the Isles have so many college kids.

I agree.

most clubs look for players out of the Canadian league due to limited success with college kids.

College hockey does not breed toughness, if anything it shelters them from it without fighting and full cages. They are lightyears behind jr players in that regard. Talent is one thing HOW they bring it is another.

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

We're all Islanders Some of us are Islanders, others are city dwellers
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
25yearfan
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 10:02 AM

You can call me Joe.

Group: Members
Member No.: 194

QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 2 2012, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (king glorious @ Apr 2 2012, 04:05 PM)
well if you are right and snow is not the man to put this together, which he certainly may nnot be, i can tell you he will leave his replacement in an infinitely better place than Milbury did.  He has accumulated young players, some quite talented, some destined for failure.

If wang would open up his pocket it would take exactly one offseason for this to all change.  Snow doesnt have to be a genius to know who the best free agents are.  We would certainly have money to spend on them.  You may not think we are that close, and in some ways we are not, as we need some real players to come in, but if the $$ is there we may have the young nucleus to very good very quick.

Rolosons comments are meaningful of course, but so are others... Nabakov has been around the track a few times also and i am not so sure he couldnt do well in the free agent market. 

I think I get your point about the culture of the team which starts with snow and cappy, but I just dont see how you could assess that other then finding the few quotes that support that your team thesis and ignoring the ones that dont support your thesis.

My thesis is simple and it has nothing to do with things I cant see, everyday I watch the games.  It is that our defense is overmatched.  Decidedly overmatched every game especially with the week year streit had.  It effects our offense it makes players look slow and like they are half assing it, because it causes alot of chasing.  Add a couple of legit top 4 demen (obviously much easier said then done) and this becomes a playoff immediately and not one that squeaks in.  I am not a big fan of cappy but again I am not sure what he can do with the crap we have on defense, yes some coaches of course may be able to squeeze a couple extra points out from here and there, that is for certain. 

In other words unless wang spends some money, we are mostly screwed.  But if he ever decides to then you will back to buying your season tickets really fast, because we are gonna be really good really quick.

I will not buy season tickets until Crapuano is gone. That is a guarantee. Also I'd need to see other things happen.

You keep mentioning IF Wang would spend money we'd be good. IF. If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Wang isn't going to spend money, so it's irrelevant to bring it up. His silence spoke LOUDLY in that interview when broached that question. Danced around it quite nicely.

These players aren't having anything pulled over their eyes. They're being given good contracts with top 6 ice time that would be less with any other team, with the exception of Tavares. Moulson would be a 2nd line player on a good team. Same with Parenteau. And we still don't know how much of their success can be directly applied to Tavares, especially with Moulson. So why would Moulson leave JT?

All last season I talked about how badly we needed a 2nd line center. I got destroyed on IM by their know-it-all fans because Nielsen was "a 2nd line center" and anyone who disagreed didn't know "anything about hockey.". Well now, those fools now echo the same things they killed me for last year. And our GM doesn't address that issue and won't until Strome is ready. Or maybe even when he's not ready.

KG, I get what you're saying. What you said about Snow setting up the next GM for success is correct, and coincidentally I said the same exact thing yesterday on one of these threads somewhere. I understand very, very well that it wouldn't take a lot of new players to make this team good. Just the right ones in key areas. But along with that is the need for a new coach. We're already going to have training camp and at least the first two months with Crappy next year.

We'll see what they do this summer.

This analogy is awesome, but as a semi-professional logician, I feel compelled to point out that if your aunt had balls, your uncle would be pretty open-minded, at least....

--------------------
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

user posted image
mjc
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 10:48 AM

4th line

Member No.: 4,707

QUOTE (OlTimeHockey @ Apr 3 2012, 02:07 AM)
QUOTE (king glorious @ Apr 2 2012, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 2 2012, 05:49 PM)

KG, I get what you're saying. What you said about Snow setting up the next GM for success is correct, and coincidentally I said the same exact thing yesterday on one of these threads somewhere. I understand very, very well that it wouldn't take a lot of new players to make this team good. Just the right ones in key areas.

you said that to me here in this thread... you see I do pay attention and I hear everything that you say.

I also dont think he will spend so I wont hold my breath. But if he did and gave garth a little rope, wow what a wonderful world this would be.

I would personally take two top defenders before a comparable (in cost) defender and 2nd line center. but that is just me.

Not to nitpick, but Snow did spend.

Reasoner
Rolston
Staios
Eaton

That's $12M spent.

Get three $4M players and we have a defense and a solid top two lines and Haley all season. Hunter plays, gets traded, whatever - it beats "I don't get no playing time" beanbagger.

Anyone can spend a million if they have it. It'd be nice to see a return, though. Neil Smith wasn't amazing but he would have gotten us into the playoffs I all but guarantee. Imagine raising the bar and getting BETTER?

And we'd still be under the cap floor. Ironic. Wang refuses to spend money AND MAKE MONEY.

So....who's still investing their money on Wang expecting happiness or satisfaction?

You beat me to it. Garf had money to spend. He needed to get to the cap floor. Now he didn't have Brad Richards money to spend like the Rags, but he had money. He chose to spend it on, Reasoner, Rolston, Pandolfo, and Staios. I hate to see what this guy would do if he had real money to spend. Scott Gomez, welcome to the NY Islanders.
Lexhair
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 11:27 AM

Habitual Line Stepper

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (mjc @ Apr 4 2012, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (OlTimeHockey @ Apr 3 2012, 02:07 AM)
QUOTE (king glorious @ Apr 2 2012, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 2 2012, 05:49 PM)

KG, I get what you're saying. What you said about Snow setting up the next GM for success is correct, and coincidentally I said the same exact thing yesterday on one of these threads somewhere. I understand very, very well that it wouldn't take a lot of new players to make this team good. Just the right ones in key areas.

you said that to me here in this thread... you see I do pay attention and I hear everything that you say.

I also dont think he will spend so I wont hold my breath. But if he did and gave garth a little rope, wow what a wonderful world this would be.

I would personally take two top defenders before a comparable (in cost) defender and 2nd line center. but that is just me.

Not to nitpick, but Snow did spend.

Reasoner
Rolston
Staios
Eaton

That's $12M spent.

Get three $4M players and we have a defense and a solid top two lines and Haley all season. Hunter plays, gets traded, whatever - it beats "I don't get no playing time" beanbagger.

Anyone can spend a million if they have it. It'd be nice to see a return, though. Neil Smith wasn't amazing but he would have gotten us into the playoffs I all but guarantee. Imagine raising the bar and getting BETTER?

And we'd still be under the cap floor. Ironic. Wang refuses to spend money AND MAKE MONEY.

So....who's still investing their money on Wang expecting happiness or satisfaction?

You beat me to it. Garf had money to spend. He needed to get to the cap floor. Now he didn't have Brad Richards money to spend like the Rags, but he had money. He chose to spend it on, Reasoner, Rolston, Pandolfo, and Staios. I hate to see what this guy would do if he had real money to spend. Scott Gomez, welcome to the NY Islanders.

Love you, bro!
rifleman22
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 11:56 AM

All Star

Member No.: 137

Like everybody else I expect the same nonsense this off season that we have seen recently. Lots of talk but no action. Old, cheap vets that don't produce.

I agree with the statement that we are not really that far away if we spend wisely, but that ain't happening.

Welcome to the Islanders Mike Knuble.

Or some similar retread.

--------------------
THE RIFLE

Sometimes you're the windshield,
sometimes you're the bug.
Webb20
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 01:15 PM

Godfather

QUOTE (rifleman22 @ Apr 4 2012, 12:56 PM)
Like everybody else I expect the same nonsense this off season that we have seen recently. Lots of talk but no action. Old, cheap vets that don't produce.

I agree with the statement that we are not really that far away if we spend wisely, but that ain't happening.

Or some similar retread.

Just how many times can you listen to "When you improve the team, it isnt spending only money. Its bringing in the right talent."

Apparently some who are in the know can take this over and over and over and over and believe it every time. How dumb can some be. And then they write about it as if it's news. Ahh, to live in a fantasy world completely out of touch must be nice.

Well I'm going to protest words and praise action, so don't expect too much praise from me with regard to YellowSnow.

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
stevedepot
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 01:25 PM

WISENHEIMER

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Webb20 @ Apr 4 2012, 01:15 PM)

Or some similar retread.

Just how many times can you listen to "When you improve the team, it isn�t spending only money. It�s bringing in the right talent."

Apparently some who are in the know can take this over and over and over and over and believe it every time. How dumb can some be. And then they write about it as if it's news. Ahh, to live in a fantasy world completely out of touch must be nice.

Worship.gif Worship.gif Worship.gif

from that pro wrestling/video game geek webtard to the weetard to the snowtard and the latest purveyor of fantasy disguised as fact, NYIFANCENTRAL who is now trashing Justin Bourne's blog with his pro SnoWang rhetoric.

It's amazing that there are fans on twitter, facebook and all over lala land that buy all this rubbish from the liars we have running things.

Wang's wife's company Neulion benefitted from the entire league adapting that technology. Sure they made a profit. Not associated to ISLES revenue but you would think an owner who REALLY LOVED this franchise would hire NHL capable people and allow them to spend some of his earnings in other areasbesides SELF PROMOTING A GODDAMN LAND GRAB DEVELOPMENT PROJECT (LH).

sick.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Showing zero tolerance for koolaiders and SnoWang apologists since 2007.
This lifelong Islanders fan is sick and tired of pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.

I long for the day when I can show up to Charles Wang's wake with a shovel and
patiently wait for everyone to pay their respects so I can pay mine by burying the bastid.
Webb20
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 01:30 PM

Godfather

Steve, it's the hardship sob story that keeps the lackey's in line. Oh poor Mr. Wang, savior of the Islanders, losing all his own money. But like you said, he owns Neulion and his wife runs it, so I bet their posterity is far outpacing his imaginary losses with the Islanders.

If he came out with 'we are doing ok" then everyone would look to him to spend his money on players, giveaway, hell even an arena, and he's just not going to do it. It's all a sham.

As you've seen in the Doghouse, I've crowned our emperor.....
CHAMPION OF SISSY HOCKEY,
DESTROYER OF THE FRANCHISE,
LAND GRABBING CHEAPO,
OWNER CHARLES WANG

--------------------
user posted image

stevedepot
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 01:36 PM

WISENHEIMER

QUOTE (Webb20 @ Apr 4 2012, 01:30 PM)
Steve, it's the hardship sob story that keeps the lackey's in line. Oh poor Mr. Wang, savior of the Islanders, losing all his own money. But like you said, he owns Neulion and his wife runs it, so I bet their posterity is far outpacing his imaginary losses with the Islanders.

If he came out with 'we are doing ok" then everyone would look to him to spend his money on players, giveaway, hell even an arena, and he's just not going to do it. It's all a sham.

As you've seen in the Doghouse, I've crowned our emperor.....
CHAMPION OF SISSY HOCKEY,
DESTROYER OF THE FRANCHISE,
LAND GRABBING CHEAPO,
OWNER CHARLES WANG

And from the emperor comes the trickle down effect.
Not yellowsnow.
Piss. Same color, all the way down the line right to the very end, us fans.

Charles Wang, you're fooling no one (ok some idiots left) but seriously, no one.
Urine trouble ya bastid.

cool.gif

--------------------
This lifelong Islanders fan is sick and tired of pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.

patiently wait for everyone to pay their respects so I can pay mine by burying the bastid.
OlTimeHockey
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 02:28 PM

All Star

Member No.: 3,963

QUOTE (stevedepot @ Apr 4 2012, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (Jackace @ Apr 4 2012, 09:18 AM)
I think Wang is grooming future GMs with similiar pedigrees as Snow. 

But seriously, most clubs look for players out of the Canadian league due to limited success with college kids.  Snow feels the opposite.  And we wonder why we have such mediocre talent despite drafting high the past several seasons? I think there may be a connection to the # of college players on this team relative to other teams and this team's lack of success.

And I agree with you Steve that it should have no bearing where the talent comes from, as long as you develop it correctly.  But you can infer from the article that other teams understand the limitations with college students and choose to focus on the Canadian systems instead. Except SnowWang who like to do things differently. I found it interesting that the Isles have so many college kids.

Oh I completely agree there. No doubt about that.

But it's almost like an extension of Wang's methodology, more like preference to be unconventional.

Snow, Milbury, Weight, Allen, Cappy, Lavy.....all Massachussetts guys. Snow was a college guy. It's called BIAS.

They love guys like them. The proof is in the pudding. So is some asbestos so don't eat it.

--------------------
"clearly it's Rick DiPietro's stupidity that's put the islanders in this situation getting into an altercation when a game was over..." Keith Jones on VS

"But the Coliseum became a repository for all the team's troubles, a convenient scapegoat. There were suggestions that no major free agent ever would set foot in such a decrepit place. We have two words for anyone making that argument: Fenway Park. History says free agents would play in an old boxcar if they got enough money and had a chance to win." - Mark Herrmann

查理斯 請死你混蛋
OlTimeHockey
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 02:33 PM

All Star

Member No.: 3,963

QUOTE (stevedepot @ Apr 4 2012, 01:25 PM)

Or some similar retread.

Just how many times can you listen to "When you improve the team, it isn�t spending only money. It�s bringing in the right talent."

from that pro wrestling/video game geek webtard to the weetard to the snowtard and the latest purveyor of fantasy disguised as fact, NYIFANCENTRAL who is now trashing Justin Bourne's blog with his pro SnoWang rhetoric.

It's amazing that there are fans on twitter, facebook and all over lala land that buy all this rubbish from the liars we have running things.

Wang's wife's company Neulion benefitted from the entire league adapting that technology. Sure they made a profit. Not associated to ISLES revenue but you would think an owner who REALLY LOVED this franchise would hire NHL capable people and allow them to spend some of his earnings in other areasbesides SELF PROMOTING A GODDAMN LAND GRAB DEVELOPMENT PROJECT (LH).

sick.gif

OY! I keep leaving out Neulion! That, arena events, parking, concessions, advertising, the cable deal, not counted in his $20M a year losses. What a douche. NYIFanCentral and his/her ilk would be what, then?

We has no money. disgraced.jpg

--------------------
"clearly it's Rick DiPietro's stupidity that's put the islanders in this situation getting into an altercation when a game was over..." Keith Jones on VS

"But the Coliseum became a repository for all the team's troubles, a convenient scapegoat. There were suggestions that no major free agent ever would set foot in such a decrepit place. We have two words for anyone making that argument: Fenway Park. History says free agents would play in an old boxcar if they got enough money and had a chance to win." - Mark Herrmann

查理斯 請死你混蛋
Webb20
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 02:39 PM

Godfather

I want to know how the Devils get a new arena, are always flirting with exceeding the cap, make the playoffs yet have the same Cable company carrying them as we do and have an arena full of empty seats like us?

--------------------
user posted image

Lexhair
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 02:43 PM

Habitual Line Stepper

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Webb20 @ Apr 4 2012, 02:39 PM)
I want to know how the Devils get a new arena, are always flirting with exceeding the cap, make the playoffs yet have the same Cable company carrying them as we do and have an arena full of empty seats like us?

Ask Corey Booker. I'm too lazy to link.

Jeff Vanderbeek is Spano revisited.
aries44475
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 03:12 PM

Topic Merger

Group: Neighorbood Watch
Member No.: 180

QUOTE (Lexhair @ Apr 4 2012, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (Webb20 @ Apr 4 2012, 02:39 PM)

Ask Corey Booker. I'm too lazy to link.

Jeff Vanderbeek is Spano revisited.
"He came into this city with a mouthful of promises and a pocket full of lies," Booker said under the eaves of the arena at the center of a nearly 8 year dispute

--------------------
user posted image
Signature photo courtesy of carbons2k

user posted image
25yearfan
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 03:21 PM

You can call me Joe.

Member No.: 194

QUOTE (OlTimeHockey @ Apr 4 2012, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (stevedepot @ Apr 4 2012, 01:25 PM)

Or some similar retread.

sick.gif

OY! I keep leaving out Neulion! That, arena events, parking, concessions, advertising, the cable deal, not counted in his $20M a year losses. What a douche. NYIFanCentral and his/her ilk would be what, then?

We has no money. disgraced.jpg

Neulion revenue nearly $40million for 2011, growing at 20% annual pace, could overtake NYI* in 2-4 years....

Of course, if you look at the GAAP financials for the year, they are (trend alert) losing about $15million, down from a loss of $17 million prev year.

Maybe they need a new building....

NeuLion Reports $39.7M in Total Revenue for Fiscal 2011 (increase 20% YOY)

--------------------
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

user posted image
stevedepot
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 03:28 PM

WISENHEIMER

I brought up the neulion thing on another site and my words were taken out of context as if I tried to connect that to wangs EARNINGS on Isles.

The fact is, it's his wife's baby. They are VERY innovative and provide a great product that the entire league adapted.

They are profitable. It's not like this man is "bleeding money".
Just because he spend 20+ million or whatever the actual figures were in self promoting/hyping up the lighthouse doesn't mean he's a victim.

I get that the league prevents us (Devs and Ducks) from revenue sharing because of the big tv market we reside in. maybe the next cba changes that.
However, this owner is NOT bleeding money since he purchased this franchise.
The money he's lost, has been by his own stupidity.

But of course, cue in someone to chime in with the..

"but he saved our franchise..."

laugh.gif

--------------------

bumpkin
Posted: Apr 8 2012, 11:41 AM

2nd line

Member No.: 1,048

QUOTE (stevedepot @ Apr 4 2012, 03:28 PM)
I brought up the neulion thing on another site and my words were taken out of context as if I tried to connect that to wangs EARNINGS on Isles.

The fact is, it's his wife's baby. They are VERY innovative and provide a great product that the entire league adapted.

Just because he spend 20+ million or whatever the actual figures were in self promoting/hyping up the lighthouse doesn't mean he's a victim.

I get that the league prevents us (Devs and Ducks) from revenue sharing because of the big tv market we reside in. maybe the next cba changes that.

laugh.gif

And, he found Garth Snow in the desert while he was wandering in search of a GM.
Sorry, I had to knock the thread back on topic.

--------------------
It's not like we're getting killed out there every night...
Snowman
Posted: Apr 8 2012, 08:21 PM

Keepin' It Cool... Keepin' It Real

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (stevedepot @ Apr 4 2012, 03:28 PM)

laugh.gif

Steve, I've been trying to make that point for years. Yes, the franchise BLEEDS money. That doesn't mean that Charles Wang BLEEDS money. If his fiscal year looks something like this (this is mostly fictional BTW):

Neulion: $40 million
Real Estate: $30 million
Islanders: -$20 million
Miscellaneous: $7 million

Overall, he's profiting $57 million in his year. Charles Wang the man isn't suffering. He's not going to be living in a box in an alley somewhere. If he was, he would have never bought this team to begin with.

--------------------
NY Islanders Hockey: A New Hope
WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpguser posted image WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpg
Snowman
Posted: Apr 8 2012, 08:48 PM

Keepin' It Cool... Keepin' It Real

Member No.: 15

Oh boy, there are some real doozies in this one:

Despite missing the playoffs for a fifth straight year, Islanders general manager Garth Snow does not anticipate any sort of major overhaul this offseason.

"We'll go into the draft and free agency with the same mind-set we've had: We'll try to improve the team any way we can, but within the framework of our game plan," Snow said Sunday. "I don't envision any big changes. We have one of the top prospect pools in the league and our core is a good, young group. It's about taking the next step with that core we have."

"Jack said it during this year's training camp: Competition from younger players pushing veterans for spots only improves the entire team," Snow said. "We had that with David Ullstrom earlier in the year, and that allowed us to let [Blake] Comeau go."

"I think about some of the games we played against the elite teams in the league, like Detroit [a 5-1 win Jan. 10] or the two wins we had in Philly, and I think this team can compete with anyone," Snow said. "Obviously, consistency was our biggest issue. But it's a matter of maturity with the young group at the core of the team."

"We're all disappointed with the way this season went. Whether you're a fan, a player or a member of the organization, we all want to make the playoffs and show the fans and ourselves what we can do. I still take a lot of positives from this year, and we can build off them and learn from the things we didn't do as well and be better next season."

--------------------
NY Islanders Hockey: A New Hope
WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpguser posted image WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpg
Webb20
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 08:01 AM

Godfather

"We'll go into the draft and free agency with the same mind-set we've had:

I don't think there could be a more depressing statement for any Islander fan.

--------------------
user posted image

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Islanders News | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (102) « First ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1578 seconds | Archive