InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to NY IslandersCountry. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest.
This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections like Gameday threads, Rumors and Trades, and more. Use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free to be part of the most knowledgeable Islander fan base there is. Hockey novices and Ranger fans need not apply.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Last Again. Waiting for the news that Garth Snow and Jack Capuano have been fired.
Like any other real team would do
2014 NHL Draft

Pages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Brock Nelson - #29, Makes NYI roster as a LW
BSutter21
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 06:14 AM

All Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

Haven't heard much about Brock other than that he's apparently played well.

IS he going to to Bridgeport next year. He's still a year or 2 away from LI.

Correct?
4CUPZ
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 06:42 AM

HEAD OF SECURITY

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (BSutter21 @ Apr 4 2012, 07:14 AM)

Correct?

DEPENDS TOTALLY ON WHAT KIND OF AD CAMPAIGN
THE BRAIN TRUST CAN FORMULATE TO MAXIMIZE TICKET SALES
IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE BUZZ OF THEIR #1 SELECTION letssee.gif

--------------------
user posted image

HEY WANG...SNOW YOU TOTALLY SUCK
YOU TWO IDIOTS ARE THE FACE OF THE ISLANDERS
TOO BAD ITS NOT THE FACES ON A MILK CARTON

查尔斯: 死漫长而痛苦的死亡,并采取加思与你

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd4bL2M_huU&noredirect=1
Webb20
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 07:33 AM

Godfather

Member No.: 1

You are correct. If they can make a buck pimping him, they will use him any way they can. Afterall it's entertainment.

confirmed, he's signed for 3 years.

UNIONDALE, NY –  The New York Islanders inked forward Brock Nelson to a three-year entry-level contract on Tuesday.

Nelson led North Dakota in scoring with 28 goals and 47 points in 42 games this season, his sophomore campaign. Over two years with the Sioux, the 20- year-old recorded 36 goals and 68 points in 84 collegiate appearances.

A native of northern Minnesota, Nelson was a first-round pick of the Isles in the 2010 draft.

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

We're all Islanders Some of us are Islanders, others are city dwellers
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
aries44475
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 08:42 AM

Topic Merger

Group: Neighorbood Watch
Member No.: 180

Well now we know who our Second line center will be next season banana.gif bag.gif

And you all thought Garth wasn't working on improving the team next year! laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Signature photo courtesy of carbons2k

user posted image
Snowman
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 05:46 PM

Keepin' It Cool... Keepin' It Real

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (BSutter21 @ Apr 4 2012, 06:14 AM)

Correct?

He's listed on the UND website as 6'4, 192 lbs. Obviously the height stands out as a major plus. I'd expect him to add some bulk in the coming years. Positionally, he plays both center and wing. His natural position is center but I believe he played mostly wing this season. He's a goal scorer, that's his game. He finished this season with 28 goals and 19 assists in 42 games. I'm not sure where they plan on having him play in Bridgeport but at prospect camp this summer he played center. He wasn't allowed to play in the prospects game vs. Boston because he was a college player.

I'm going to guess that he'll wind up playing wing in the NHL. His size and him being more of a goal scorer have me leaning toward that. Plus, with Tavares, Strome, Bailey, Nielsen, Cizikas, and possibly our future #1 draft pick (Grigorenko or Galchenyuk only two centers I could see them taking if they're available), the organization is deep at center. Brock certainly adds plenty of depth to the center position, but a quicker path to the NHL is probably at wing.

--------------------
NY Islanders Hockey: It Sucks.
WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpguser posted image WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpg
BSutter21
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 08:43 PM

All Star

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 4 2012, 05:46 PM)

Correct?

He's listed on the UND website as 6'4, 192 lbs. Obviously the height stands out as a major plus. I'd expect him to add some bulk in the coming years. Positionally, he plays both center and wing. His natural position is center but I believe he played mostly wing this season. He's a goal scorer, that's his game. He finished this season with 28 goals and 19 assists in 42 games. I'm not sure where they plan on having him play in Bridgeport but at prospect camp this summer he played center. He wasn't allowed to play in the prospects game vs. Boston because he was a college player.

I'm going to guess that he'll wind up playing wing in the NHL. His size and him being more of a goal scorer have me leaning toward that. Plus, with Tavares, Strome, Bailey, Nielsen, Cizikas, and possibly our future #1 draft pick (Grigorenko or Galchenyuk only two centers I could see them taking if they're available), the organization is deep at center. Brock certainly adds plenty of depth to the center position, but a quicker path to the NHL is probably at wing.

Thanks Snowy. I remember him being big. He doesn't play to his size, though, right?

Definitely a logjam at C. A bit surprised you think he's in the NHL next year. Hopefully, not buried on the 4th line like Nino.

Something to look forward to. Gotta have hope somewhere since w eknow it's not gonna be July 1.
Snowman
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 09:12 PM

QUOTE (BSutter21 @ Apr 4 2012, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 4 2012, 05:46 PM)

Correct?

Thanks Snowy. I remember him being big. He doesn't play to his size, though, right?

Definitely a logjam at C. A bit surprised you think he's in the NHL next year. Hopefully, not buried on the 4th line like Nino.

Something to look forward to. Gotta have hope somewhere since w eknow it's not gonna be July 1.

I think you're right, he doesn't play overly physical. I don't think he'll be in the NHL next year though. Better chance of Kirill Petrov being in the NHL. That's why I believe Nino will be in Bridgeport. Petrov should earn a max ELC to entice him to come over here and he'll replace Nino. Brock should have the full year in Bridgeport next year.

--------------------
Snowman
Posted: Apr 6 2012, 10:59 AM

NYIslanders ‏ @NYIslanders
RT @thesoundtigers: The Sound Tigers have signed forward Brock Nelson to an ATO http://bit.ly/HstUUy He will wear number 29. #BST #isles

--------------------
Webb20
Posted: Apr 6 2012, 12:21 PM

Godfather

Member No.: 1

They are giving Pandolfo's number away? ohmy.gif banana.gif laugh.gif

Hope he can contribute and get great experience.

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

We're all Islanders Some of us are Islanders, others are city dwellers
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
stevedepot
Posted: Apr 6 2012, 01:02 PM

WISENHEIMER

Member No.: 25

Kid was very physical in the blue white game this past July. One of the more noticeable standouts who had that extra jump in his skating.

Biggest problem with most college players is their lack of physicality and overall fundamental skills. That's why many NHL teams always look for players developing in Canadian junior leagues. Brock has the Dave Christian lineage so I'm not worried about hockey sense, work ethic etc. I just hope they don't do to him what they did to Okposo, Bailey and Nino.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Showing zero tolerance for koolaiders and SnoWang apologists since 2007.
This lifelong Islanders fan is sick and tired of pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.

I long for the day when I can show up to Charles Wang's wake with a shovel and
patiently wait for everyone to pay their respects so I can pay mine by burying the bastid.
sybo
Posted: Apr 6 2012, 02:40 PM

Resident Wiseass, Neighborhood Candyman, Master Drunkard

Group: Neighorbood Watch
Member No.: 14

user posted image

--------------------
Garth Snow circa 2006:
but how can you not be excited about DiPietro…Robert Nilsson…Ryan O'Marra…Petteri Nokelainen…Jeremy Colliton…Kyle Okposo…Blake Comeau…Sean Bergenheim…Chris Campoli…and so many others.
Snowman
Posted: Apr 6 2012, 02:45 PM

Steve, that's why I'm hoping they bring Petrov over and he makes the team. Let guys like Nino, Kabanov, and Nelson all grow together in Bridgeport. With Petrov, I view him as a luxury. Plus, he's been playing in a men's league for years. Petrov cannot sign until the completion of the World Championships so hopefully we hear something soon after. At the very least he can be a place holder with more than likely a max ELC to replace Nino's money.

--------------------
OlTimeHockey
Posted: Sep 7 2013, 12:06 PM

All Star

Member No.: 3,963

QUOTE (puckhead @ Sep 6 2013, 01:52 PM)
Obviously the one with the higher upside is Strome. Nelson will be a good solid bottom 6 player.

Strome a top 6 guy. Since both are not likely to start the season on the big club and while both likely will be back in Bridgeport.........Strome is the one to get the call up first if he continues to impress. He's your home run hitter.

I wouldn't discount the minute possibility that one day Nelson is a dynamic power forward.....since we never labeled him as one {the kiss of death on LI}.

Kid bulks up any more and improves over time, he might push Strome down to #2 Center....which would be a lovely problem to have. The kid has size and brains.

--------------------
"clearly it's Rick DiPietro's stupidity that's put the islanders in this situation getting into an altercation when a game was over..." Keith Jones on VS

"But the Coliseum became a repository for all the team's troubles, a convenient scapegoat. There were suggestions that no major free agent ever would set foot in such a decrepit place. We have two words for anyone making that argument: Fenway Park. History says free agents would play in an old boxcar if they got enough money and had a chance to win." - Mark Herrmann

查理斯 · 請死你混蛋
puckhead
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 01:48 PM

All Star

Member No.: 480

QUOTE (OlTimeHockey @ Sep 7 2013, 12:06 PM)
Obviously the one with the higher upside is Strome.  Nelson will be a good solid bottom 6 player.

Strome a top 6 guy.  Since both are not likely to start the season on the big club and while both likely will be back in Bridgeport.........Strome is the one to get the call up first if he continues to impress.  He's your home run hitter.

I wouldn't discount the minute possibility that one day Nelson is a dynamic power forward.....since we never labeled him as one {the kiss of death on LI}.

Kid bulks up any more and improves over time, he might push Strome down to #2 Center....which would be a lovely problem to have. The kid has size and brains.

I think with Nelson if he makes the team, you'll have to be patient with him. It'll take 3 or 4 more years for him to mature. That's the way it is with power forwards.

OlTimeHockey
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 11:53 PM

All Star

QUOTE (puckhead @ Sep 9 2013, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (OlTimeHockey @ Sep 7 2013, 12:06 PM)
Obviously the one with the higher upside is Strome.  Nelson will be a good solid bottom 6 player.

Strome a top 6 guy.  Since both are not likely to start the season on the big club and while both likely will be back in Bridgeport.........Strome is the one to get the call up first if he continues to impress.  He's your home run hitter.

I think with Nelson if he makes the team, you'll have to be patient with him. It'll take 3 or 4 more years for him to mature. That's the way it is with power forwards.

Totally patient, but Nelson has the skills to use while he gets the power forward game. He uses his size more and more over time, I'm happy.

--------------------
"clearly it's Rick DiPietro's stupidity that's put the islanders in this situation getting into an altercation when a game was over..." Keith Jones on VS

"But the Coliseum became a repository for all the team's troubles, a convenient scapegoat. There were suggestions that no major free agent ever would set foot in such a decrepit place. We have two words for anyone making that argument: Fenway Park. History says free agents would play in an old boxcar if they got enough money and had a chance to win." - Mark Herrmann

查理斯 · 請死你混蛋
puckhead
Posted: Sep 10 2013, 01:13 PM

All Star

Member No.: 480

The one area this team could use....besides D..........a power forward wing who can score. We don't have many right now.
Snowman
Posted: Sep 10 2013, 01:19 PM

I am a little surprised that Nelson isn't being considered at all to play wing, at least from what Ive heard. He did play some wing in Bridgeport and in college, so he can. But he's also talked about in a Jordan Staal mold where he can be a solid two-way player. If his two-way abilities are really that strong he should play center. I think you'd be wasting his talent at wing. And this team NEEDS a big, powerful pivot like him. We haven't had one in years. Strome is a different story because he's all offense.

--------------------
OlTimeHockey
Posted: Sep 10 2013, 02:27 PM

All Star

QUOTE (puckhead @ Sep 10 2013, 01:13 PM)
The one area this team could use....besides D..........a power forward wing who can score. We don't have many right now.

With the scope of centers we have, they can all play insurance on draws and fit into the wing in situations, but I like the idea above of a center with size.....on the second line if it comes to pass.

--------------------

查理斯 · 請死你混蛋
dragoneye
Posted: Sep 13 2013, 07:07 PM

Kung Fu Hockey

Member No.: 445

This article on the Isles site is laying the groundwork for him to stay with the big club:

[URL= http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=...4;NYI|home]Article[/URL]

--------------------
Wang must go. Snow must go.
Snowman
Posted: Sep 14 2013, 02:02 AM

Yes I agree I think he's going to be here too. We'll see if he (and any other rooks) produce in preseason. If he does that should seal it up for him.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Islanders News | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (4) 1 [2] 3 4 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1275 seconds | Archive