Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to NY IslandersCountry. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest.
This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections like Gameday threads, Rumors and Trades, and more. Use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free to be part of the most knowledgeable Islander fan base there is. Hockey novices and Ranger fans need not apply.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

''We got ourselves regrouped and played a hard 40 minutes,'' Martin said. ''We're finding ways to win games. This one feels really good.''
SHOPPING DAYS 'TIL CHRISTMAS

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Oh where have you gone Kyle O?, Why so unmotivated of late?
Webb20
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 10:57 AM

Godfather

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (stevedepot from gameday thread on the losing goal vs Phila. @ Nov 25 2009, 10:59 PM)
That goal was not the centers responsibility because the center was the first forward back as it was Nielsen who was going for the puck carrier along the boards....
it was the near side wingers responsibility to get to the trailing forward (Hartnell)
and that guy was Okposo.
he dove but too late.

Okposo's play has been less than stellar of late. Heck, it's been downright awful. He's playing with no emotion, no sense of purpose. He's not taking control, not overpowering his forecheck opponents, and not coming back with any speed into the defensive zone. Actually, he's been playing the part of a primadona of late, and I'd wish he'd get back to being that bull that set him apart in the second half of last season and early parts of this season.

I'm moving this to a new thread as this should be discussed at length.

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

We're all Islanders Some of us are Islanders, others are city dwellers
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
Islander4cups
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 11:04 AM

In Garth I Trust

Group: Members
Member No.: 595

QUOTE (Webb20 @ Nov 26 2009, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (stevedepot from gameday thread on the losing goal vs Phila. @ Nov 25 2009, 10:59 PM)
That goal was not the centers responsibility because the center was the first forward back as it was Nielsen who was going for the puck carrier along the boards....
it was the near side wingers responsibility to get to the trailing forward (Hartnell)
and that guy was Okposo.
he dove but too late.

Okposo's play has been less than stellar of late. Heck, it's been downright awful. He's playing with no emotion, no sense of purpose. He's not taking control, not overpowering his forecheck opponents, and not coming back with any speed into the defensive zone. Actually, he's been playing the part of a primadona of late, and I'd wish he'd get back to being that bull that set him apart in the second half of last season and early parts of this season.

I'm moving this to a new thread as this should be discussed at length.

To my eyes, it all started with the game in Minn. He looked out of sorts during that game. couldn't stay on his skates, was all over the place and had no handle for the puck. I don't think it helps him having him on the point for the PP, but his reg shifts have been downright lousy the last 4 games or so.

--------------------
I miss these cup.gif cup.gif cup.gif cup.gif and want more of them
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
user posted image
Webb20
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 11:05 AM

Godfather

Member No.: 1

Has it coincided with him being removed from the Tavares/Mouslon line? Although being with Frans shouldn't completely wipe KO off the map. And at this point maybe pair him up with Bailey after the success they had last year, or JUST PUT HIM BACK ON THE FIRST LINE.
dontknow.gif

--------------------
user posted image
5/24/1980=Greatest Day in NY Islanders history. 10/24/2012=Darkest Day in NY Islanders history

We're all Islanders Some of us are Islanders, others are city dwellers
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Ben Franklin
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
stevedepot
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 11:18 AM

WISENHEIMER

Member No.: 25

I don't know if it's coincided with the line changes. But in spurts, when our team starts running around and Kyle gets teh puck, he's been trying to do too much.
Since guys look up to him now...that kind of play is infectious.

Not enough give and go's, puck support and guys become spectators when linemates hog the puck.

Hopefully he snaps out of it.

dontknow.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Showing zero tolerance for koolaiders and SnoWang apologists since 2007.
This lifelong Islanders fan is sick and tired of pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.

I long for the day when I can show up to Charles Wang's wake with a shovel and
patiently wait for everyone to pay their respects so I can pay mine by burying the bastid.
LEDZEP
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 11:42 AM

The Best That Ever Skated 80-81-82-83

Member No.: 49

BUST disgraced.jpg

--------------------
Sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I've got one thing I got to do... user posted image

user posted image
Come in with the milk

"A leader, once convinced a particular course of action is the right one,
must have the determination to stick with it and be undaunted when the going gets rough."

Ronald Reagan
Andy
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 12:29 PM

Enjoying the game.

Member No.: 508

After a bad game in front of his fam & friends in Minny, little Kyle's lost his
user posted image
Let's just hope he finds it soon.

--------------------
user posted image
ronski631
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 01:00 PM

Stubborn Polish Maniac

Member No.: 594

what about Streit? he's doing "ok" this season but i miss the "holy crap! he's awesome!" comment i used to say. same thing could be said about our #21

but about Okposo, he still skats hard but loses battles along the boards. it seems like you have to make the perfect pass to KO, otherwise he'll blank entirely.

IF Okposo would have gotten in that goal instead of hitting the crossbar, his confidence would have carried into the horrid 3rd period against the flyers.

Put him back with Tavares and Moulson, that was dynamic.

--------------------
user posted image

punk.gif
Islander4cups
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 01:37 PM

In Garth I Trust

Member No.: 595

QUOTE (Webb20 @ Nov 26 2009, 11:05 AM)
Has it coincided with him being removed from the Tavares/Mouslon line? Although being with Frans shouldn't completely wipe KO off the map. And at this point maybe pair him up with Bailey after the success they had last year, or JUST PUT HIM BACK ON THE FIRST LINE.
dontknow.gif

Webb, I absolutely think playing with Franz has hurt his game. Sorry, but Franz is NOT A second line center. Essentially, KO was moved to the third line because he's playing with 3rd line talent.

That said, KO should NEVER have been moved off first line. That is our first line for the next 5 seasons. Let them grow together. KO still played well when he was moved off the line 2-3 weeks ago, but the last week he's been bad.

I agree with the comment that he's tried to do too much. He's been all over the place since they arrived in Minnesota. That was his first bad game of the year and its continued. Essentially, he's played bad for a week.

If Gordon isn't going to play KO on the first line, play him on the second line with Bailey and Hunter or Tambelini. Bergie and Franz are third line players and that is all they will EVER be at best.

I'd rather see lines of

Matt M- JT- KO
Hunter- Bailey- Tamby
OR
Matt M- JT-Hunter
Tamby-Bailey-KO (if you aren't putting KO on first line)

Then you can have a third line of Park-Franz-Bergie and a 4th line of Jackman-Nate and whomever the F else he wants to dress.

Tne on the PP put out Matt M-JT and KO and leave them the F alone.

jmho

Additonally, get KO off the point on the PP. Put Hillen there and when Weight comes back he can play that role. KO is a guy who shouldn't be 40' from the net. Isn't that what we killed Tamby for last season?

--------------------
I miss these cup.gif cup.gif cup.gif cup.gif and want more of them
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
user posted image
Craving_the_Cup_Since_1992
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 02:01 PM

All Star

Member No.: 875

I definitely agree that KO has looked worse since being moved from the first line. I think he doesn't have to work as hard on that first line because the talent of JT and the good positioning of MM help KO not have to take the burden of the line on his shoulders. It's like Streit and Gervais. Gervais isn't pulling his weight, so Streit has to do double work which leads to more mistakes on his part. KO should be moved back that first line because they had an amazing chemistry, even though I think that KO being with Bergie has helped Bergie score more.

C'mon Go-Go, make the right decision. KO is a first line player pure and simple.
Snowman39
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 02:01 PM

Keepin' It Cool... Keepin' It Real

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Islander4cups @ Nov 26 2009, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Webb20 @ Nov 26 2009, 11:05 AM)
Has it coincided with him being removed from the Tavares/Mouslon line?  Although being with Frans shouldn't completely wipe KO off the map.    And at this point maybe pair him up with Bailey after the success they had last year, or JUST PUT HIM BACK ON THE FIRST LINE.
dontknow.gif

Webb, I absolutely think playing with Franz has hurt his game. Sorry, but Franz is NOT A second line center. Essentially, KO was moved to the third line because he's playing with 3rd line talent.

That said, KO should NEVER have been moved off first line. That is our first line for the next 5 seasons. Let them grow together. KO still played well when he was moved off the line 2-3 weeks ago, but the last week he's been bad.

I agree with the comment that he's tried to do too much. He's been all over the place since they arrived in Minnesota. That was his first bad game of the year and its continued. Essentially, he's played bad for a week.

If Gordon isn't going to play KO on the first line, play him on the second line with Bailey and Hunter or Tambelini. Bergie and Franz are third line players and that is all they will EVER be at best.

I'd rather see lines of

Matt M- JT- KO
Hunter- Bailey- Tamby
OR
Matt M- JT-Hunter
Tamby-Bailey-KO (if you aren't putting KO on first line)

Then you can have a third line of Park-Franz-Bergie and a 4th line of Jackman-Nate and whomever the F else he wants to dress.

Tne on the PP put out Matt M-JT and KO and leave them the F alone.

jmho

Additonally, get KO off the point on the PP. Put Hillen there and when Weight comes back he can play that role. KO is a guy who shouldn't be 40' from the net. Isn't that what we killed Tamby for last season?

I was saying last night that KO has looked awful as well, glad we're all on the same page with that. I also felt the same way about him playing with Nielsen. I think he had more success with Bailey last year and if he's not going to be playing with JT, that Bailey should be his center. Also, I feel that Hunter and Nielsen should be linked together. So, if you work it out like this:

Tavares-Moulson
Bailey-Okposo
Nielsen-Hunter

Then you place one of Tambellini or Bergenheim on the top two lines and whoever on the 3rd.

But as far as Okposo goes, last season he played his game like he was the best player on the ice, like he wanted to stand out. I hope he's not falling back just because of Tavares' presence on the team, because that wouldn't be good.

--------------------
NY Islanders Hockey: A New Hope
WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpguser posted image WANGSUCKS.jpg WANGSUCKS.jpg
Dark Helmet
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 02:41 PM

My helmet is bigger than yours

Member No.: 236

He's probably playing hurt.

--------------------
"Evil will always triumph because Good is dumb."
3POTI
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 03:23 PM

Bring back...PRIDE OF THE ISLAND

Member No.: 553

okposo and bailey and comeau were a pretty good line last year... thumbsup.gif

nielsen and hunter were pretty good too..

loved to see tamby with tavares.....(JT-JT-moulsen) (T moulsen) thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Today Is A Great Day To Be An Islander Fan!
Live For The Moment!

Snowman39
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Dark Helmet @ Nov 26 2009, 02:41 PM)
He's probably playing hurt.

Thought about that possibility too. Hope that's not the case.

--------------------
Isles72
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 04:34 PM

3rd line

Member No.: 621

I think he's just run down physically

swine flu just 10 or so days ago , if that .

doesnt have his typical speed
Snowman39
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Isles72 @ Nov 26 2009, 04:34 PM)

72, you may very well be right. However if that is the case, maybe they should say something. If a player is ill/injured, I understand why teams hide it but I just feel bad for the player most of the time because while he's out there gutting it out he takes unnecessary heat from fans and media. Now KO hasn't been THAT bad, but he's just not playing up to the level we know he can.

--------------------
j-money4080
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 06:20 PM

4th line

Member No.: 4,492

I guess i am in the minority , i thought he played well last night. He hasn't been able to finish by putting the puck i the back of the net, but he hasn't played nearly as bad as Streit
dragoneye
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 07:20 PM

Kung Fu Hockey

Member No.: 445

Okposo has definitely digressed within the past week or so. I was at the game last night though and never have I felt so ripped off. 64 bucks for some crap tickets at the top of 317 and the team didn't play for the second and third periods. I was going to try to go Friday for the matinee but they can kiss my ass. I'm not gonna drop coin for a team that doesn't work hard all the time. angry.gif

--------------------
Wang must go. Snow must go.
Dark Helmet
Posted: Nov 26 2009, 11:54 PM

My helmet is bigger than yours

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (Snowman39 @ Nov 26 2009, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (Isles72 @ Nov 26 2009, 04:34 PM)

72, you may very well be right. However if that is the case, maybe they should say something. If a player is ill/injured, I understand why teams hide it but I just feel bad for the player most of the time because while he's out there gutting it out he takes unnecessary heat from fans and media. Now KO hasn't been THAT bad, but he's just not playing up to the level we know he can.

Exactly. He's not gonna see any heat coming from my end unless he stops shooting the puck. He still shoots the puck. They will go in eventually. Mixing up the lines and moving him back to line one wouldn't hurt too much, in my opinion. Let Bailey play with Tambellini and Hunter.

Besides, it's the defense I'm concerned about. Outside of Sutton, Streit, Hillen, we are very weak in our own zone. It takes more than 3 d-men to win consistently, if at all.

--------------------
"Evil will always triumph because Good is dumb."
Mulefan
Posted: Nov 27 2009, 01:44 AM

2nd line

Member No.: 3,766

I just think he's going through a little slump and will be just fine. I don't see any lack of hustle from him. He is the last thing I'm worried about. I think he was trying too hard to impress first his family and friends and then Toronto coach Wilson who holds KO's Olympic fate in his hands. He will hopefully relax soon and get back to the KO we love. He is a huge part of our future.

--------------------
Pete
Shooter
Posted: Nov 27 2009, 07:24 AM

All Star

Member No.: 453

KO is the least of the Islanders' problems. Here's a list of more important issues:

1. Soft goals
2. Bruno Gervais
3. Freddy Meyer
4. Richard Park's poor play (see above two players)
5. Nate Thompson
6. Jon Sim
7. Coach Gordon
8. Sparky (dogging it this year)
9. No enforcer
10. Cold hotdogs
11. Pretzels without salt on them
12. Rude SMG workers
13. Men who don't know how to put the seat up when they go pee
14. Kate Murray
15. Led's long winded posts
16. Lack of Garth Snow parties for season ticket holders

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Islanders News | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1452 seconds | Archive