Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketGretchen Malalad -> Photo report: Gretchen Malalad, model, beauty quee

Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Gretchen Malalad. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

> Latest Announcements
Welcome to Gretchen Malalad's Forum

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Photo report: Gretchen Malalad, model, beauty quee
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:35 AM

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Published November 24th, 2005 in Photos.

Someone once said that Sun.Star chief photographer Alex Badayos loves to take pictures of beautiful things. Of course, Alex disagreed. He argued that good pictures don’t necessarily have to be beautiful. Thus, it is not only the beautiful that drives him to make good pictures. In his very brief photo report for today, he has a beautiful subject – a former Bb. Pilipinas finalist. Are they good pictures? Frankly, we don’t care, as long as they’re beautiful.

PHOTOS, TEXT BY ALEX BADAYOS

The photos I’m sharing with you were taken during a photo-shoot for the cover photo of Sun.Star Weekend. The site was the Cebu City Sports Center. My subject, Gretchen Malalad, model, beauty queen, and, get this, mean martial-art expert.

Gretchen, finalist in the 2003 Bb. Pilipinas, has been a consistent medal winner for the Philippines in karatedo. She won a gold medal during the 2003 SEA Games in Vietnam. She will again represent the country in the 2005 Seag karatedo competition at the Mandaue City Cultural and Sports Center on Nov. 27-29. Her venture into the martial arts should be one of the reasons she’s maintained her shapely figure.

For this picture, I wanted her to kick high…and show some skin. Sorry guys, it didn’t’ happen. She was too shy to do that in a very public place. Maybe next time when we do the shoot in a private.

I had to lie down on the red oval of the Cebu City Sports Center to get this shot. The red tracks provide a good perspective and a sense of action.

Up close with Gretchen and her gold medal winning form.

That’s about it for this photo report, but definitely not for this stunner. I’m looking forward to more photo reports about her, hopefully with a gold medal around her neck.

Taken from : http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/seag/?p=26
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:36 AM

GRETCHEN MALALAD, Karate Chick

Even if she’s only going for karate practice, Gretchen Malalad, 26, likes to dress up and wear makeup. So it was no surprise when she joined the Binibining Pilipinas Beauty Pageant in 2002, where she emerged as Ms Talent and Ms Red Bull.

“I always like to win,” said Gretchen, referring to karate, not the beauty contest. “That, I think, is my singular advantage.”

In the last SEA Games, Gretchen won her third gold medal in Karate, becoming a record-holder for winning three gold medals in a row in the SEA Games (2001, 2003, 2005).

“I am the only one in our team who has won three gold medals in a row,” Gretchen said. “In karate, only the males used to win, and it was only a back-to-back win.”

In 2002, Gretchen represented the Philippines in several World Cups: Japan, Mexico, Korea. She also won a bronze medal in the 2002 Asian Games.

Gretchen started practicing karate when she was only 16. She became a member of the national team in 1999. Her first international competition was at the Brunei Sea Games where she was a member of the team committee composed of 20 athletes. She went home empty handed.

A month later, she asked her father to finance her competition in Singapore for the ASEAN Championships where the Philippines sent only three athletes, including Gretchen.

“I promised my Dad I would bring home a medal,” said Gretchen.

She brought home two bronze medals for her Dad and her country. She also brought home the thrill of winning.

“Ayun, I got hooked,” she said. “So this is how it feels to represent and to win medals for the country.” A Communications Arts graduate of the University of Sto. Tomas, Gretchen was also a radio program host and a courtside reporter for PBA/PBL.

“I only have a few years left in karate,” she conceded. “I need an alternative career. I hope it would be a showbiz career.”

Taken from the site of Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition at:

http://celeb1.pinoybigbrother.com/Default.aspx?tabid=161

Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:36 AM

Her good looks will knock you out
Posted: 1:46 AM (Manila Time) | Dec. 06, 2003
By Ernesto Gonzales
Inquirer News Service

HANOI — If she does not knock you out with her good looks, then you’re sure to get floored by her kicks and blows.

Known as Bb. Pilipinas Candidate No. 22 several months back, Gretchen Malalad is now in the limelight as a strong bet for a Southeast Asian Games gold medal in karatedo which begins here today.

The 23-year-old, 5-foot-7 Malalad is one of two defending champions in the 23-strong karatedo squad, and RP training consultant Romano Guiseppe of Italy, a former World Cup champion, thinks she’ll deliver one of three gold expected from the women’s division.

She topped the 60-kg kumite in Malaysia two years ago and proved she was no flash in the pan by seizing a bronze medal in the Asian Games in Busan, Korea last year despite a dislocated shoulder.

Gretchen, a typical Filipina beauty, was down to 55kg and flaunted statistics of 35-24-35 when she decided to try her luck in another “competition” upon the prodding of Philippine Sports Commission official Tats Suzara.

An AB communication arts graduate from UST, Malalad had plenty of time in her hands then, having undergone surgery to repair her injured shoulder.

Barely a week after her cast was removed, she reported for the contestants’ interview, passed it and then went through the usual routine of learning how to carry herself during the endless practice and photo sessions.

In the crunch, so to speak, Malalad turned to her sport.

During the search for the Miss Talent award, Malalad became the runaway choice as she impressed the judges with the way she clobbered four rivals in a mock fight scene.

“Thirteen yata,” she smiled when asked how she eventually fared in the final judging.

But for this only girl in a karatedo-loving family of three living in Cainta, Rizal, that figure is 12 notches off her real worth as a Filipina champ.

Taken from INQ7.net at http://www.inq7.net/spo/2003/dec/06/spo_9-1.htm
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:37 AM

Goodbye Gretchen!?
February 20, 2006

Gretchen Malalad has gone out of the Pinoy Big Brother house to face her possible discharge from the Philippine Air Force (PAF) for being Absent without Leave (AWOL).

Is this the last that we have seen of the beautiful karatista??? Or will she be able to return to the PBB house in 24 hours?

I hope she does return.

Tags: gretchen+malalad, pinoy+big+brother, big+brother, pbb

Comment:

RAUL said: February 21st, 2006 at 12:05 am

i hope that her superiors would be able to understand her situation. whats a little leeway for a lady who has earned 3 golds for the country. i hope that the generals wouldn’t grandstand and be self-serving!!!!

after all she has accepted some faults, but come on what’s happening to that AFSLAI? and anomalies in procurement and all!!!

let the lady have her fun and live her dreams!!!

Taken from the website of: http://www.chikadora.com/2006/02/20/goodbye-gretchen/
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:37 AM

Gretchen Malalad in Answers.com
Gretchen Malalad is a Filipina 2005 Southeast Asian Games karate gold medalist and a former beauty pageant contestant in Binibining Pilipinas 2002 where she emerged Ms. Talent and Ms. Red Bull Supreme. She was also a housemate in Pinoy Big Brother: Celebrity Edition. Her best friend in the house is actress Aleck Bovick.

She is currently facing a pending case against the Philippine Air Force after she committed an AWOL in prior of joining Pinoy Big Brother.

Gretchen left the house on after Big Brother allowed Gretchen to report to her superiors in the Philippine Air Force (where she serves as a second-class airwoman) to face a summary investigation about her being AWOL. Big Brother did this in the proviso that she will be blindfolded in going and she cannot talk to anyone except those who were investigating her and she must return to the house 24 hours after she left. She returned 14 hours later after the Philippine Air Force officially authorized her to continue her stint in the show. Then she was later evicted on Day 39.

Trivia
In 2004, Malalad worked as a courtside reporter for ABC Sports’ coverage of the PBA games. Prior to that, she worked also in the Philippine Basketball League as an in-house courtside reporter for a brief period.
Malalad won two gold medals in the 2005 SEA Games, the 60 kg Individual Kumite and Open Weight Individual Kumite competitions.[1]

Taken from: http://www.answers.com/topic/gretchen-malalad
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:38 AM

Malalad punches way to 3rd gold
November 29, 2005

By Randy Caluag

GRETCHEN Malalad was a picture of utter disgust after losing her first match to a Vietnamese in the karate competition of the 23rd Southeast Asian Games.

Without admitting it, Gretchen felt she let Cebuanos down and the gloom in her eyes told a lot about her feelings.

Gretchen’s, splashed all over the sports pages of Cebu newspapers, tell everything how she is treated in Cebu — like a sports goddess.

In the curtain-raiser at the Mandaue City Sports and Cultural Center, she failed to deliver.

Unknown to most, Gretchen was coming off a weeklong bout with the flu. Her big, fighting heart was intact, but her body was not ready yet.

Yesterday, a reinvigorated Gretchen showed up and punched her way to the gold in her favorite +60kg category.

“Naging motivation sa akin iyung pagkatalo namin sa team event last Sunday. We knew na malaki ang expectation sa amin ng mga tao. Pero it happens. That’s why pinilit ko talagang makabawi ngayon.”

Gretchen has won the same event twice in the past two editions of the biennial meet.

“’Di ko talaga papayagan na makawala ito. I’m so very, very happy. It’s very fulfilling to see that all the sacrifices we’ve made finally paid off,” said the 2003 Bb. Pilipinas candidate, who clinched the Best Talent and Miss Red Bull awards. “For me, this victory is truly a blessing.”

The 25-year-old Communication Arts graduate goes for yet another gold today in the women’s individual kumite open weight category.

Of course, the arrival of her parents, Peter and Maricel, to see her defend her crown, boosted her spirit.

“I’m so proud of the achievement of my daughter. In fact, I was sleepless the past two nights. Before the match, I feel extremely nervous as if I’m the one who’s going to compete. I really felt relieved after seeing her win the gold,” said her father, who is a municipal councilor in Bulanay, Quezon.

Taken from the Site of Manila Standard at:
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports02_nov29_2005
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:38 AM

Gretchen Malalad: Pretty and Deadly
By Romina S. Austria

Tall and tan and young and pretty. And deadly.

Gretchen Malalad, gold medalist in the +60 kg kumite event of the 22nd Southeast Asian Games in Hanoi, Vietnam, in December, is currently the toast of Philippine sports.

It is easy to deduce why: The 24-year old, five-foot-seven Malalad is also beauty queen material, a 2003 Bb. Pilipinas candidate who was adjudged the most talented and most fit over more than 30 candidates.

Shades of trackster Lydia de Vega and swimmers Christine Jacob and Akiko Thomson who took the nation’s fancy some years back. But Malalad would be the first to downplay her good looks.

“I would never trade my sports uniform over some glamorous, sequined gowns,” says Malalad, an AB Communication Arts graduate of the University of Santo Tomas.

Busted lips, broken ribs, bloodied face over the ramp and klieg lights?

“A karatedo gold medal is always better than any beauty title,” she maintains.

Indeed, the way to a karatedo gold medal is never easy but it is Malalad’s world, a sport that she has always been fascinated with even as a young girl in Cainta, Rizal, where she grew up.

During the last SEA Games, her blood-splattered mouth almost prevented her from defending her title but her determination carried her to the win.

Chua Ai Lee, a Swiss-turned Malaysian and a silver medalist in the 2002 World Cup, unleashed a wicked punch that had Malalad “seeing stars” on her way to the canvas.

Add to that a bout with gastro-enteritis a few days before the event and a newly-operated left shoulder blade.

The opponent’s punch was declared foul, gaining Malalad a point. Our entry maintained the lead and went on to escape with a 4-3 win.

She remembers seeing Chua earlier in the World Cup, where the latter saw action for Switzerland.

“She’s not really a clean fighter but I maintained my composure,” Malalad recalls. “I thought of all the hardships I went through - my operation, my training - and they became my rallying points.”

It was sweet revenge for Malalad all the way to the finals. Earlier in the tourney, she pounded Vietnam’s Nguyen Bao Ngoc, her conqueror in the Busan Asiad. Bao Ngoc settled for the bronze.

Malalad credits the coaching staff and team manager Joe Manansala for the team’s winning exploits.

She says she will eternally be grateful to training consultant Romano Guiseppe of Italy, an ex-World Cup champion who did not give up on the team even if they could not afford his services; head coach David Lay; strength and conditioning coach, Bal Ramos; and their physical therapists who helped her recuperate from her laser surgery.

“Mr. Guiseppe has done a lot for our team. Our victories would not have been possible without him,” ads Malalad.

Malalad contributed part of the P270,000 assistance she received for the Vietnam meet to pay the salary of Guiseppe, who brought to the Philippine team the European style of karate.

The Philippine Karatedo Federation (PKF) had to release Guiseppe because it could no longer pay his 1,200 euros weekly salary.

“But he kept coming back, even spending his own money just to help us,” says Malalad. “It’s incredible how dedicated he is to our cause.”

Malalad’s rise to the big time started in 2001 in the Malaysia SEA Games, where she first won the +60 kg kumite gold.

A bronze medal-performance followed, despite a dislocated shoulder, in the 2002 Busan Asian Games.

It was while recuperating that she decided to join the Bb. Pilipinas pageant, the top winner of which gets to represent the country in the Miss Universe tilt.

She reported for the candidates’ interview a week after her cast was removed and eventually learned how to walk and pose like a model and beauty queen.

“I really had a hard time because I move and walk like a man!” Malalad laughingly recalls. “But nevertheless, it was a great experience. Unforgettable.”

She may have failed to land a spot in at least the final 15 but she definitely made a good impression. She wowed the judges and the audience with her physical attributes and showed her champion karateka form to bag the Miss Talent award.

Malalad is hoping the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) would be able to raise more funds for their participation in international tournaments, like the February Asian Championships in Taiwan that will determine slots for the Athens Olympics.

Malalad believes the country could win more awards in the sport if only additional support and funding were available.

Taken from the PlanetPhilippines Website @ http://www.planetphilippines.com/archives/...t/feature3.html
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:39 AM

Buenavista, Malalad in class of their own

Karateka Gretchen Malalad (above left) celebrates her victory in the 60-kg final against Malaysian rival Ai Lee Chua in Hanoi’s Gia Lam Gymnasium.
Click to zoom
SEA GAMES

Buenavista, Malalad in class of their own
Posted: 6:32 AM (Manila Time) | Dec. 08, 2003
By Ernesto Gonzales
Inquirer News Service

Long distance winner

HANOI - Long distance runner Eduardo Buenavista and pretty karateka Gretchen Malalad delivered as expected Sunday, giving the Philippines two more gold medals in its scrambling bid to keep up with the traditional powerhouses in the 22nd Southeast Asian Games.

The tiny but iron-lunged Buenavista was in a class of his own as he launched his bid for a long-distance hat-trick by winning the 10,000 meters in a SEAG record time of 29 minutes 19.61 seconds.

Malalad, a former Binibining Pilipinas candidate, survived a knockdown and a busted lower lip in clinching the gold medal in the over 60-kg division of women’s kumite (sparring) by nosing out Ailee Chua of Malaysia, 4-3.

“This (gold) is better than a beauty title,” Malalad later said.

With seven golds overall, the Filipinos remained sixth overall, although they stand to register more victories in swimming courtesy of Miguel Molina, billiards and rapid chess which were going on at presstime.

While Vietnam steadily pulled away with a gold-silver-bronze production of 36-12-13, the fight for second place took a new twist as Thailand moved up with a second-best medal tally of 12-14-21.

Indonesia advanced to third at 9-8-10, Singapore was fourth at 9-8-9 and Malaysia fifth at 8-12-10.

Molina led in the morning eliminations of two events, the men’s 200 individual medley and the men’s 100 freestyle, which are among his strong points. Also with outside chances were Maria Georgina Gandionco in the women’s 100 free and Raphael Matthew Chua in the men’s 100 breaststroke.

Also shooting for the gold later Monday night is Lee Van Corteza in 8-ball singles.

Buenavista overtook all but three of the nine players who dared to challenge him early in the 25-lap race. He was a lonely runner halfway through the longest event in the track schedule.

The old record for the event was 29:47.79, but he was nowhere near his national mark of 29:02.36 mainly because he was unpressed.

Aung Thu Ya of Myanmar placed second in 29:40.28 while Boonthung Srisung of Thailand took the bronze in 29:49.63.

Julius Sermona, the other Filipino in the small field, placed sixth in 30:34.29.

Now the 25-year-old runner from Banga town, South Cotabato province, goes for the 3,000-meter steeplechase gold Monday before returning Thursday for the 5,000 meters. No track athlete has scored three individual golds in the history of the Games.

Buenavista’s overpowering victory came on the heels of another Filipino show in the men’s 400 meters as defending champion Ernie Candelario and teammate Jimar Aing both ruled their heats impressively.

Candelario clocked 46.68 in the second heat while Aing did 46.96.

Both runners are mainstays of the men’s 4×400-relay team that is also expected to contribute to what athletics president Go Teng Kok said would be a 10-12 golden harvest this time. Athletics made off with nine golds in 2001.

Joining Buenavista in Monday’s 3,000 is Rene Herrera, who could make it a 1-2 finish for the Philippines as he was a strong fourth in the Asian championship in Manila last September.

Also seeing action Monday are Sean Guevarra in the high jump, Joebert Delicano in the men’s triple jump, John Lozada in the men’s 1,500m and Mercedita Manipol in the women’s 10,000m.

Earlier, rookies Ralph Waldy Soguilon and Arnold Villarube failed to advance in the men’s 100 meters. Soguilon clocked 10.78 and Villarube 10.99.

Taken from the http://www.inq7.net/spo/2003/dec/08/spo_1-1.htm#
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:39 AM

Power kick of Gretchen Malalad as she gives RP a Gold Medal
November 29, 2005

by Gladys @ 2:26pm. Filed under News.

Gretchen Malalad (above left) beats Jamalliah BT. Jamalladin of Malaysia in the karatedo women’s individual kumite (over 60 kgs.) to win for RP one of two gold medals. The karatedo matches were held at the Mandaue City Sports Complex. (Sun.star photo/Allan Cuizon)

Taken from Wow Cebu City! Website at http://wowcebucity.com/?p=95
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:40 AM

Bb. Pilipinas 2003: Diamond White, Ruby Red, and a Blue Surprise (Part I)
BB. PILIPINAS 2003: DIAMOND WHITE, RUBY RED, AND A BLUE SURPRISE
(PART I)

by Joseph Vitug

The atmosphere was electric at the Araneta Coliseum last March 15, as the Ruby anniversary of the Bb. Pilipinas pageant went underway. Three busloads of Diana Sadie fans, two busloads of Jacqueline Inoferio fans, a busload (and a half, probably) of Jhezarie “Jerrie” Javier and Carolyn “Yna” Ramos fans, half-a-busload each of Kate Baesa, Angie Corstorphan, Ella Evangelista, Mafae Yunon, and Anna Marie Falcon fans, plus other passionate fans of other candidates made for a lively, almost rowdy (but well-behaved) crowd, and kept the energy at the coliseum at a very high level.

At 8 PM, the crowd was hyped up as the lights were dimmed and the spotlight was on the crystal-designed set (that one might compare to the Icelandic ice palace in James Bond’s “Die Another Day”, the set of Superman’s Fortress of Solitude or planet Krypton in the Superman movies, a diamond or crystal mine, or the stage of Miss World 1982-the only difference was that there was a big crown suspended and hovering above the set). With Asian-techno fusion music wafting through the speakers and the dancers in “salakot” (or Vietnamese, or maybe even Miss Earth 2002 Dzejla Glavovic) hats slinking about, the 27 candidates then emerged like Vestal Virgins in beautiful and simple white gowns, as if they were about to perform a religious ritual. In choreographed near-unison, they then gracefully swayed and performed smooth arm movements in an update of that early-1990s dance craze, the Vogue (like that equally famous 1990 Madonna smash of the same title). After that dramatic opening, the candidates then enthusiastically sang the Bb. Pilipinas theme song-this time, it was updated to a Chillout Project/Buddha Bar-style electronica rhythm that in my opinion was the best musical update of the theme, and I’d love to hear this version in the years ahead. The reigning queens then walked onstage at the end, looking resplendent in their red gowns (Karen was wearing the superb gown she wore at Miss Universe, which helped her win the People’s Choice award for Best Gown at this year’s Global Beauties Awards). It was the most beautiful, dazzling and sensational opening number I have seen in a Bb. Pilipinas pageant, and it raised my hopes that the conduct of this year’s pageant will match the high quality of this year’s candidates.

On TV (and on the screens in the Coliseum), the opening title sequence prior to the first commercial break featured the candidates morphing into each other in sequence. It’s a little cruder than what was executed in Michael Jackson’s classic “Black or White” video back in 1991, but it was still a lovely high-tech marvel for this pageant.

The hosts for this year’s pageant were TJ Manotoc (sportscaster/newscaster/morning show anchor and son of Miss International 1970, Aurora Pijuan), Brad Turvey (the Penshoppe boy singing horribly in that commercial with pop singer Mandy Moore), and as background commentator/anchorwoman, Pops Fernandez (”The Concert Queen”). Pops was a last-minute replacement for Ruffa Gutierrez, who fainted before boarding her flight from Frankfurt to Manila for this occasion. TJ Manotoc and Pops Fernandez proved to be highly seasoned hosts who know how to work up a crowd between breaks, and were impeccable communicators during the telecast. Brad Turvey, despite his nicely deep “dude” voice, was obviously the weakest link of the trio, as he was obviously over-reliant on the cue cards and was a little stilted in his hosting—but come on, he’s still a “little boy”, and he can improve over time. The structure of the competition remained unchanged from last year: the candidates were presented one-by-one in swimsuits (with a video of them walking in a resort in the telecast), then presented in evening gowns, and then the Top 12 semifinalists would be announced where they would then be interviewed in swimsuits, and then the five finalists would be called, where they would answer one final question, and the titles should be decided. Here are some notes on how the competition proper was conducted this year:

Onstage, the candidates paraded in blue, one-strapped, one-piece swimsuits. The swimsuits were actually wonderful, and they flattered most candidates’ figures very, very well. Almost all candidates looked wonderfully buffed and fit in those blue swimsuits. They were far more flattering than the swimsuits they sported at both the parade and the press presentation.
Almost all the candidates glided gracefully onstage in their swimsuits, with only two ladies tripping when they navigated the stairs. Coincidentally, their numbers ended in 5: No. 5, Nilda Perelonia Baliwag, and No. 25, Ma. Elena Andaya.
On TV, the candidates were parading in bikinis at the Club Morocco Resort in Subic Bay, Zambales. Although my eyes were peeled on the stage, I also intermittently saw the TV presentation on the two giant screens, and it was a great production, with Club Morocco looking like a lovely oasis. I wish I was wealthy enough to sign up for a membership…
All evening gowns have to be red in color. I suppose this is to commemorate the ruby anniversary of the pageant. It makes for slightly monotonous viewing, but then again, I recall the televised Miss France pageant usually require their contestants to wear gowns of a similar theme, color or style, too. At least we got to focus more on how the candidates walk in their gowns instead of the gowns themselves.
Candidates No. 6, 18, 22, and 24 sported gowns that had a different hue from the rest—almost a greenish or maroon hue, as I saw it (sorry, I have red-green color blindness). Candidate No. 6, Farrah Tuballa, sported a number with a gold top and a fire-engine red (the hue in most of the gowns) bottom. Candidate No. 22, Gretchen Malalad, sported a gown with lots of gold sequins.
During the evening gown round and the semifinals, the candidates have to put their hair up or pull their hair back. No one could leave her hair down, and no hair teasing was allowed.
Fortunately no one tripped and fell during the evening gown round.
In the semifinal interview round, the candidates were interviewed in silver lamé bikinis. I think this year’s get-up were the skimpiest outfits the semifinalists sported during the semifinal round of this pageant, ever. I have expressed my objections over this very concept of interview-in-a-bikini over the past few years, but I’m sure no one really cares about my opinion on this—all Philippine-produced pageants (with the exception of Carousel’s Miss Earth and Miss Philippines pageants, where they were fortunately clad in cocktail dresses) conduct their interview portions in this style. If that’s the case, here’s my wish: I hope next time during this round the organizers and the judges will also strip down to their undies, or wear swimsuits when they interview the girls, so everything would be even.
Speaking of the bikinis: the lighting sometimes turn their silver bikinis into gold. Just look at the photos Arnold took during this portion of the competition.
Again about the bikinis: unlike the blue swimsuits earlier, not everyone looked good in the bikinis, and this probably led to the downfall of a couple of major favorites, including the one that won the swimsuit award earlier.
The interview of the semifinalists only constituted 10% of the semifinalists’ scores. A much bigger share of the score went to face and figure.
Unlike last year, the semifinalists sported the same gowns they wore before being called to the semifinals, when they made their gown walk while being serenaded (this year, it was Gary V. singing a Josh Groban song called “You’re Still You”).
· Besides Gary V, there were only two other musical numbers: a ballroom dancing number with the reigning queens and three former queens: Alma Concepcion, Maricar Balagtas, and Joanne Quintas (known as Joanne Santos when she competed back in 1995), and a song number by another former queen, Bb. Pilipinas World 1996 (and Miss Personality winner) Daisy Reyes, who after a stint in sexy films and a breakup with her basketball-playing boyfriend has decided to reinvent herself as a J. Lo-style pop star / recording artist. Daisy sang this techno-disco number, and she actually sang live, while her music video was playing on the big screens.

Despite the minimum amount of intermission numbers, the pageant ran for 4 ½ hours. Besides the all-contestants-parading-in-both-swimsuit-and-gown format that contribute the most to the length of time, the introduction of all former queens present in the audience (who all looked wonderful on TV, despite the advancing years on the older queens), the usual filmed sequence of activities the candidates undertook during the past month (with sponsors’ plugs), a nice-and-touching banter between host TJ Manotoc and his mom, Aurora Pijuan, and a video of the charity causes the pageant espouses contribute to the extensive epic length of this pageant. Fortunately, it was a lean and mean 4 ½ hours, and with this kind of batch it was worth the time spent.

I have mentioned in my candidates assessment that the results might be unpredictable because of the sterling quality of the ladies. Well, I was proven right with an upset victory at the end of the pageant—more on that later.

I have already talked about the all candidates a little in-depth in my candidates assessment, and onstage there was no real weak performance in the entire bunch. For the non-finalists, I will focus on those who won special awards, or who got a little extra TV time, or maybe who performed very strongly, like… CANDIDATE NO. 3 – CHERRY MAE BACARRO. This lady maybe missed the cut by very little, because there was nothing weak about her performance onstage at all. In fact, I think she should replace one of the weaker semifinalists. She could probably make a strong impact in another year and be a semifinals shoo-in at least.

CANDIDATE NO. 9 – JEREMIE ALAGON. She was 1st runner-up in Miss Talent for her “Inang Bayan” number (she was carrying a flag and twirling it, all the while she was wearing her Filipiniana dress).

CANDIDATE NO. 10 – CAROLYN RAMOS. She won Miss Friendship. She does have a sweet, sympathetic personality, very much like my officemate, Jasmin.

CANDIDATE NO. 11 – PENELOPE GRULLA. Penny surprised me was when she was interviewed after the swimsuit round by TJ Manotoc backstage. Her voice actually reminds me a lot of Charlene Gonzales. She also acknowledged that she has a boyfriend (I met him at the press presentation and before the pageant started). Anyway, her performance in both the swimsuit and gown rounds, though very good, paled in comparison to the rest. Her gown was particularly too simple for comfort.

CANDIDATE NO. 14 – JACQUELINE INOFERIO. Well, her supporters were so active and adamant (see all those dedications to her on our messageboard, as spearheaded by a Ms. Ruth Beech in Tokyo, Japan), it was not surprising that she won the Manila Bulletin Texter’s Choice award. Let me guess who’s in second place: Candidate No. 24, Diana Sadie… Her performance was strong and consistent, but well, there were so many other strong and consistent performers out there that she was “sacrificed”, just like…

CANDIDATE NO. 21 – ANGELICA SANDEL. Like Cherry Mae Bacarro, there was nothing weak about her performance onstage, and could be a conceivable replacement for some of the lesser semifinalists. She and Cherry Mae make a nice dark-and-white contrast for ladies who were most likely to have bubbled under the semifinalists. She could be another semifinalist shoo-in in a less competitive year.

CANDIDATE NO. 22 - GRETCHEN MALALAD. For a non-semifinalist, she at least has the consolation of winning two special awards: Miss Red Bull Energy Drink (very fitting considering her athletic background) and the Miss Talent award for her karate demonstration. I love her swimsuit figure, as it’s one of the buffest, but I think her downfall was that pageant-patty gold-sequined gown and her not-as-pretty-but-still-very-attractive face.

CANDIDATE NO. 26 - MA. ALTHEA ROSE MAURICIO. She was 2nd runner-up in the Miss Talent award, with her graceful and engaging hula number.

Now, I have a little blind item about one of the non-semifinalists: towards the end of the evening gown competition, this certain non-semifinalist rudely shoved the candidate after her so she could have more arm-room, and hopefully catch more of the judges’ attention. She has already been rumored to be rather unlikable and allegedly even conspired to sabotage one of the favorites (in connivance with a short but very intelligent candidate, rumor has it). So I am gleeful that she didn’t make the cut (I don’t find her pretty to begin with anyway, even if she has fair skin). Clues: 1) the candidate she shoved has been awarded for her personality—and she meekly gave way when shoved; and 2) I scored her low in my candidates assessment, and deservingly so.

Taken from: http://www.mabuhaybeauties.com/revw/j01.html
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:40 AM

Gretchen Malalad from Wikipedia
Gretchen Malalad is a Filipina 2005 Southeast Asian Games karate gold medalist and a former beauty pageant contestant in Binibining Pilipinas 2002 where she emerged Ms. Talent and Ms. Red Bull Supreme. She was also a housemate in Pinoy Big Brother: Celebrity Edition. Her best friend in the house is actress Aleck Bovick.
She is currently facing a pending case against the Philippine Air Force after she committed an AWOL in prior of joining Pinoy Big Brother.

Gretchen left the house on after Big Brother allowed Gretchen to report to her superiors in the Philippine Air Force (where she serves as a second-class airwoman) to face a summary investigation about her being AWOL. Big Brother did this in the proviso that she will be blindfolded in going and she cannot talk to anyone except those who were investigating her and she must return to the house 24 hours after she left. She returned 14 hours later after the Philippine Air Force officially authorized her to continue her stint in the show. Then she was later evicted on Day 39.

Gretchen is currently the Fitness Teacher in ABS-CBN’s Pinoy Dream Academy.

Trivia
In 2004, Malalad worked as a courtside reporter for ABC Sports’ coverage of the PBA games. Prior to that, she worked also in the Philippine Basketball League as an in-house courtside reporter for a brief period.
Malalad won two gold medals in the 2005 SEA Games, the 60 kg Individual Kumite and Open Weight Individual Kumite competitions.[1]
Gretchen Malalad won gold medal in the 2006 Korean Grand Open Championship in Busan, Korea last November 11 and 12, 2006. She left the country last Friday and expected to be home today, November 13, 2006.
For more updates, visit Gretchen Malalad’s Official Fansite at http://www.gretchenmalalad.i.ph or subscribe to her KTEXT by texting in: GRETCH ON and send to 2366.
Pinoy Big Brother: Celebrity Edition
Roxanne Barcelo | Aleck Bovick | Angela Calina | Mich Dulce | Rudy Fernandez | Bianca Gonzalez | Keanna Reeves
Gretchen Malalad | Budoy Marabiles | Zanjoe Marudo | Rustom Padilla | John Prats | Rico Robles | Christian Vasquez

Categories: Filipino martial artists | Pinoy Big Brother | Filipino military personnel

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretchen_Malalad
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:41 AM

Aleck and Gretchen to stay longer
February 24, 2006 at 10:50 pm · Filed under Uncategorized

Needless drama.

Gretchen escapes ‘PBB’ ax

Last weekend, Aleck Bovick expressed her desire to voluntarily leave Big Brother’s House as she’s worried about her sick father. This is the dad who sued the producer of her launching movie three years ago for making her go bold when she was only 15 then (they made it appear that she was already of age).

Her father was interviewed on TV and he said he suffers from weak lungs and constipation, but he can still handle himself well, so Aleck should not really worry about him.

Aleck’s boyfriend, Carlo Maceda, was also interviewed and his advice to her was: “Don’t go out. Just enjoy yourself there. Don’t worry about your father because your sister and I are taking care of him.”

Isn’t Carlo so sweet and caring?

Aleck was made to watch the interview with her dad and, as of this moment, she has decided to stay in PBB and not go out anymore.

Another housemate who was in danger of being evicted is Karate Chick Gretchen Malalad.

It turns out she does not have official permission from her superior at the Philippine Air Force, where she has been working for three years, to join Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition. She just informed her boss verbally as she was not really certain at the time if she’d make it as a housemate in PBB. Her superior sent an official letter to Big Brother informing him of the situation and if Gretchen would not report at their office last Tuesday, she’d be fired.

Big Brother generously allowed Gretchen to leave his house on condition that she’d be returning there before the night was over. If she would not be back in 24 hours, then she’d be considered permanently evicted from PBB. Gretchen was personally taken by PBB’s Lauren Dyogi to her boss and after an official and confidential meeting, she was allowed to go on leave and rejoin her colleagues in Big Brother’s house.

So all’s well that ends well for everyone. [source: PJI article]

Taken from: http://tv.halukay.com/pinoy-big-brother/2006/02/

Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:41 AM

Pinoy DREAM ACADEMY & Cambodia’s Freshie Contest Help Better Lives
Welcome to National Radio
www.nationalradio.com/0_VideoBeat_Dec06_MAX_EXTRA.
Published on: 12/24/2006 Last Visited: 2/17/2007

Malalad is also the 2005 SEA Games karate gold medallist. . Malalad won two gold medals in the 2005 SEA Games, the 60 kg Individual Kumite and Open Weight Individual Kumite competitions. In 2004, Malalad worked as a courtside reporter for ABC Sports' coverage of the PBA games

She is also a former beauty pageant contestant in "Binibing Pilipinas 2002" where she emerged Ms. Talent and Ms. Red Bull Supreme. She is a member of the Philippine Air Force ranked as as a second-class airwoman.

Though Malalad didn't win the Celebrity Big Brother show she is an example how the TFC television network utilized her background and skills in being a part of the Dream Academy show.

Full article at this link : http://www.nationalradio.com/0_VideoBeat_D...MAX_EXTRA.shtml

Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:42 AM

‘Housemate’ in big trouble
2. Inquirer article about Housemate Gretchen at pinoy big brother
pbb.rebelpixel.com/2006/02/20/inquirer-article-abo - [Cached]
Published on: 1/1/2006 Last Visited: 1/27/2007

DAVAO CITY-Looks like "Pinoy Big Brother" celebrity housemate Gretchen Malalad is in big trouble. She may lose her job in the military because she failed to ask permission from her superiors before entering the contest.

Lt. Col. Restituto Padilla, Philippine Air Force (PAF) spokesperson, told the Inquirer by phone that Malalad, who holds the rank of Airwoman Second Class (AW2C), was declared absent without leave (AWOL) on Thursday.

Malalad's job is unknown to many. Most fans know her only as the gold medalist in karatedo during the 23rd Southeast Asian games. Her PBB housemates have no clue. Padilla said Malalad was already in trouble as early as January, when she stopped reporting for work at the Air Force Service Support Group (AFSSG) in Villamor Air Base. She made things worse by joining PBB, he said.

Surprise! Malalad's superiors and colleagues didn't know what she was up to, Padilla said, until they saw her on TV. "After discussing it, Lt. Col.

If Malalad fails to report in the next few days, he added, she will be penalized. Soldiers who go AWOL are normally kicked out; some face administrative charges. Padilla said Malalad, 26, also failed to report for Basic Military Training, which all soldiers are required to undergo.

Taken from: http://www.zoominfo.com/search/PersonDetai...sonID=960522493
Sheggz17
Posted: May 11 2007, 10:42 AM

Gretchen resigns from Air Force to join showbiz

Journal Online
www.journal.com.ph/index.php?page=news&id=10337&si - [Cached]
Published on: 8/20/2006 Last Visited: 8/20/2006

Gretchen resigns from air force to join showbiz

PBB'S karate champ Gretchen Malalad has resigned from the Air Force to try her luck in showbiz. "I was officially discharged after three years of working with them," she says.

She's now one of the four regular teachers in "Pinoy Dream Academy". She will be teaching physical fitness to the 16 PDA scholars.

"We chose Gretchen to teach fitness as she really teaches martial arts in the gym and taebo to the soldiers in Villamor Air Base," says PDA director Lauren Dyogi.

Taken from: http://www.zoominfo.com/search/PersonDetai...sonID=960522493
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3  Quick Reply

Page creation time: 0.3983 seconds | Archive