This skin was created by Cortez of the IF Skin Zone

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Gooddealgames. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

A Few Pics of Addition Build
Malakai
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 04:31 PM

The Eclectic Gamer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

Long overdue, here are the first pics for the addition build. The first two pics were taken today.

user posted image
Front - sheathing done

user posted image
Front Inside - blocking done

user posted image
Trusses 5/12th pitch roof - I chose galvalume, polar white for maximum reflectivity and the extra 15 year warranty vs bare (unpainted) - Instead of putting the roof on purlins, I put up 1/2" plywood with felt paper for insulation, weatherproofing, and the sturdiness vs straight purlins.

user posted image
Gable fan installed - I'm doing both ridge venting and soffit venting, along with gable vents and a gable fan, although the thermostat will be set at around 120-140 degrees, to kick on only when the attic is super hot. Between the polar white roof, gable venting, ridge venting, and soffit venting, hopefully the fan won't run too much.

user posted image
Very early on in the project.

Well, we're around a year and a half in on the build and are probably somewhere around the halfway point. Here's what's left to do (unless I forget something):

Finish sheathing the walls, flashing the door and windows, gable venting/framing, , install windows, install siding, and door

sub-flooring - 3/4" plywood or osb. If I don't use tongue and groove, I'll use h-clips

Install soffits, soffit venting, and baffles

Insulating the attic, install ceiling, wiring, lights, projector mount, projection screen mount/wiring - I'm not sure what type of lighting I'll be using yet. Maybe recessed, maybe not.. too early to tell

Build a closet sometime after the subflooring is installed

Install electric panel

Insulating the walls, install electric plugs, wall boards

Install AC ductwork, ac registers

Somewhere in-between, hooking it to my house.

Carpeting

Insulating underneath the addition

Skirting

--------------------
125 HD-DVDS, 163 BLU-RAYS, 194 3-D BLU-RAYS, 261 DVDs, 552 VHS, 28 VCDs, 5 PSP Movies, 176 Laserdiscs, 10 Field-Sequential 3D DVDs
Malakai
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 07:36 PM

The Eclectic Gamer

We're about $9,500 in so far, although not all materials have been installed as of yet. I'm putting between $300 and $600 in it every month. I'm starting to call it my money pit!

--------------------
125 HD-DVDS, 163 BLU-RAYS, 194 3-D BLU-RAYS, 261 DVDs, 552 VHS, 28 VCDs, 5 PSP Movies, 176 Laserdiscs, 10 Field-Sequential 3D DVDs
Malakai
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 07:37 PM

The Eclectic Gamer

Today, we felt papered the front sheathing, flashed the front window opening, and installed the front insulated casement window. We used an organic felt paper, to keep up with a somewhat green theme.

user posted image
Front - Felt papered, window flashed, window installed

user posted image
installed window

--------------------
Malakai
Posted: May 7 2012, 06:51 AM

The Eclectic Gamer

user posted image
Front - Sided, z-bar flashed

user posted image
Left Side - Partially Sheathed

user posted image
Left Side - Partially Sided

--------------------
Matt
Posted: May 31 2012, 08:31 AM

The Adept Gamer

Member No.: 17

Very nice job you're doing!

I remember the picture of a similar storage shed that was posted here years ago.

How will you address the need to keep mold out of your new place and from getting formed onto your stuff?

Malakai
Posted: May 31 2012, 05:23 PM

The Eclectic Gamer

Well, the OSB sheathing is weatherproof on one (the outer-facing) side, and also has organic tar paper (as opposed to housewrap) as a weather proofer on it. There will also be a vapor barrier in the walls, and I could even go with a mold and mildew resistant drywall on the inside. Many mobile homes don't even have a sheathing at all and use a really thin plastic vapor barrier without many issues.

The attic will be well-ventilated and will also have a vapor barrier between it and the ceiling. The building itself is pretty high off the ground and won't have any problems with splashing, and I will be using like a plastic lattice skirting, for maximum airflow underneath it, which will also help prevent mold, mildew, and rot.

My only issues right now is caused by the massive amount of rain we've had the last few days. Some of my materials have probably ruined, despite them being put in the 'dry'... the winds and flooding just were relentless. We'll just have to see how it goes after it has all dried off. I was hoping to have the building enclosed, with the exception of the flooring and soffits by the end of this month, but it may be next month since money was tight and we don't have the right weather to start working again.

--------------------
Malakai
Posted: Jun 16 2012, 11:08 AM

The Eclectic Gamer

user posted image
Blocking, door & shims, and window installed

user posted image
Sheathing, organic felt paper, window and door flashing, casement window, and pre-hung exterior door installed.

In the last two months or so, it's rained almost every single day. Mosquitoes are terrible, the sun is hot, and the humidity is terrible. I have a pretty big fan inside the building, which helps a little, with the mosquitoes and heat, as well as some deet-based bug spray. I hate to use the bug spray, because it takes like two days to get the smell off of you.

Because of the weather, I'm way behind schedule. I would have though we'd have the floor in by the end of this month, but we're at least a month behind, if not two. Some of the materials got ruined, even though they were 'covered' because of the relentless wind and rain. When it rains every day, materials don't have time to dry off and end up weakening or rotting.

--------------------
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1684 seconds | Archive