InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Fish Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Koi care sheet, Care sheet
Betta5
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 05:46 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5

Right lets get this Koi forum up and running with a nice care sheet.

Right let me start off by saying Koi are NOT big goldfish, but more rather a relative of the goldfish.
If you are intrested in Koi you must realise that the cute tiny baby Koi is going to become a massive, waste producing moster of a fish.

To start out with lets see the facts

- The average Koi will grow between 24 and 36 inches
- Its not uncommon for Koi to grow at 3 or 4 inches each year
- Average life span is more like 25 to 35 years
- Your Koi should be about 18 iches when it is 4 years old
- Koi are not live bearers but lay thousands of eggs in a single breeding
- Koi must be at least 3 to 4 years old and of sufficient size before they breed
- Koi require special water conditions and environment for breeding
- The eggs and baby Koi must be separated from the adult Koi or they will more than likely be eaten
-The baby Koi hatch in about 3 to 7 days depending on the weather. (if kept outside)
-Koi can be kept in aquariums as well as ponds. Aquariums need good filtration and aeration systems
-A filter utilizing carbon is recommended for aquariums
-The survival rate for baby Koi is less than 50%.

(All can vary depending on the pond size, food, and water conditions)

Koi being big fish will require 20-40 gallons of water per fish. This dosn't meen go out and buy a 20 gallon tank and you can keep one Koi carp. It meens if you have a 300 gallon pond then you could keep up to 7. I personaly would go as big as possible and stock lightly. This way you have healthy fish with room to grow.

Filteration is a big part of keeping Koi healthy, many people do not use filteration on ponds at all but in my opinion to keep your Koi in tip top shape use the best filter you can buy. Koi like goldfish are mega waste producers and thus need a decent sized filter, also like goldfish they use lots the oxygen content in the water, so you will need some water movment (filter) to help mix the water and reoxygenate it.

Tip - Make sure your pond is 3 foot deep atleased as in cold weather it could freeze over and kill your Koi

Over feeding in Koi and goldfish is very common, be sure you only give your Koi what they will consume in 10 mins. Too much feeding sometimes causes blockage of the filtration device, resulting in deterioration of water quality in no time.
Generally, it would be ideal if bio-filtration area is 1/3 of water volume of a pond.
For the filtering medium required, secure, at least, the volume nearly equal to 10% ~15% of pond water volume

Koi can suffer from many different Diseases,

Anchor Worm Disease (parasitic)
- presence of Lernaea or anchor worms on the skin

Cloudy Eye (bacterial)
- milkiness over eyes
- loss of appetite and energy

Cotton Wool (mouth) Disease (bacterial)
- white spots around the mouth and head areas that spread to the body and fins
- white cottony growths that eat away the mouth
- disintegration of fins starting at the edges

Ich or White Spot (parasitic)
- presence of small white spots all over the body and fins
- rubbing of body against rocks and pond surfaces

Tailrot/Finrot (bacterial)
- begins with light, foggy patches on the skin
- progresses to bloody, rotten tails or fins

Ulcers (bacterial)
- open sores on the body
- can lead to death (infection)

Well they are a few of the many illnesses your Koi can catch,

Thank you for reading my first care sheet here, and if you have noticed anything wrong or just would like me to add something just give me a PM as we want to make this forum a great source of information, And i will add to this care sheet as i learn more.

Thank you wink.gif
mommyof2bettas
Posted: Aug 24 2007, 02:19 AM

Aquaholic :P

Member No.: 10

This was really helpful. I might get a pond pretty soon and now I know that I can actually keep some koi in it if it's big enough, I thought they needed a 1000 gallons pond blink.gif
Betta5
Posted: Aug 24 2007, 03:05 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

I would suggest the biggest pond you can get but they are the bare min for keeping them
« Next Oldest | Koi | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3729 seconds | Archive