zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Feybook. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

You need to register to start new topics. Do not post until you have read the Material Usage Agreement.
Pages: (10) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Fey Courts
alesian
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 01:46 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

---
Thanuir
Posted: Aug 23 2007, 06:55 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

Briar Rose is the ruler of the fey Court of Love, more commonly known as the Court of the Red Rose (although it is not subservient to the Court of Flowers). She was once a human maiden, curse by Queen Carabosse of the Unseelie court. Her parents sought to win her boons by inviting fairy nobles to her christening, but they forgot to invite Carabosse. She arrived anyway, and cursed Briar Rose to sleep eternally once pricked by a spinning needle. She was eventually rescued from this curse by the kiss of her one true love, but Carabosse murdered him and ravaged Briar Rose’s kingdom. Donning the armor of her fallen lover, Briar Rose invoked the gifts the fairy powers had bestowed upon her and defeated Carabosse.
Pure genius.

How does the court interact with mortals? What kind of pathways to the faerie lead to this court, generally? How would you use this court in game, as a game master or a player?
alesian
Posted: Aug 24 2007, 04:01 AM

Advanced Member

The Court of Spring has the most amicable relationship with mortals out of all the fairy courts (although their views of mortals are not universally positive). Most fey of the Court view mortals as needing help, healing and guidance. A fey believe that mortals are inherently flawed creatures who debase anything beautiful that they come into contact with.

The Court of Spring draws closest to the mortal realm on the first equinox of the year. During this time, portals to the realm open up in hedge mazes, especially those composed of or incorporating rosebushe, in garden gateways, and at crossroads near some form of natural beauty.

The Court of Spring is most easily used as a patron or ally of the PCs, but it could be used as a villian. For the former, several prestige classes sponsored by the Court could definetly be made (specifically for followers of Brigid or Briar Rose). The Court could also employ the PCs in finding lost works of art or restoring places of natural beauty. For the latter, a malevolent fey might be working to drive mortals away from a place of great natural beauty.
Thanuir
Posted: Aug 24 2007, 08:12 AM

Advanced Member

If some random characters accidentally stumble into the court's lands through portals, how will they (likely, usually) be treated?

Some interesting cases: Stereotypical knight, druid or other nature type, a pilgrim and a wizard.

Are they helped out of there? Geased to do something? Do they receive romantical interest?
alesian
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 02:26 AM

Advanced Member

Any of those would be possible, although the geasa is unlikely unless the Court has a pressing concern it needs mortal intervention on.
Thanuir
Posted: Aug 26 2007, 08:16 AM

Advanced Member

Include this stuff in your write-up. I, at least, find it useful.
alesian
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 03:42 AM

Advanced Member

Alright.

Anyone else have comments?

...Please?
Galliard
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 04:20 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

This is really good...I like the eclectic nature of it, with the inclusion of different flavors and legends into one (especially when you touch on fairy tales). Wish I had actual advice, but I can't think of anything really constructive at the moment.

You may not be done this one yet, but have you thought about the other courts at all (other than what you have in "Relationships")? If so, could you give us a preview (thumbnail sketch, as it were) of what they're like? knowing a bit more about them might suggest ideas...synergy, the big picture, and all that.
alesian
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 04:32 AM

Advanced Member

Thanks.

More about the other Courts can be found in my other thread "alesian's setting," although most of the information relating to the courts is rather brief.

Currently I am working on the Court of Autumn, which is ruled by Cernunnos (who I have designated as being Brigid's brother.) I am having some trouble with the Courts of Summer and Winter, because I am not sure of who I want to be the ruler of those courts. I currently have Cold Bringing Woman (a figure from Hopi mythology) as the leader of the Court of Winter, but I am not sure she is the right person to go with. Any suggestions pertaining to these two courts would be especially appreciated.

I have also included the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, as well as other Courts that are either subservient to the 6 major courts or function outside of them.
Galliard
Posted: Aug 27 2007, 04:49 AM

Advanced Member

Hmm...off the top of my head, rulers for the Winter Court:
Father Winter; a tall, powerfully built fey with the face of an old man and a long white beard made of snow and ice.
Jack Frost; a thin, rakishly attractive youth, with blue skin and a frozen heart.
The Snow Queen; white and pristine, cold and beautiful...

Don't forget to add Kringle and his "polar elves"...

Edit: oh, if you're going to have Kringle, you have to give him his Unseelie partner, Krampus!
alesian
Posted: Aug 29 2007, 02:45 AM

Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestions. How about something along these lines:

The Snow Queen is the current ruler of the Court of Winter, a position she inherited from her parent, Father Winter. She is the sister of Jack Frost, the ruler of the Court of Ice, who was too much of a ne'er-do-well to have properly ruled the Court. Father Winter now rules the Court of Joy. Because of his long standing association with the Unseelie Court (a stance his daughter, the Snow Queen has continued), Father Winter is accompanied by an Unseelie retainer, the diabolical seeming Krampus.

How's that for a start?
Galliard
Posted: Aug 29 2007, 03:24 AM

Advanced Member

Nice...I take it Father Winter goes by the name "Father Christmas"* in some mortal cultures? Perhaps his private lands are covered in thick evergreens, each bedecked with tiny sparks of starlight. He might occasionally leave little gifts under the grander trees for the local fey, who further decorate the boughs with bright ribbons and trinkets.

I'd also imagine her Majesty, the Snow Queen, has little liking for her father's court...she'd probably have little use for 'joy' or other frivilous emotions. Her palace could have a gallery of flash-frozen creatures that struck her fancy. Beautiful youths and maidens that caught her eye...as well as animals and even some fey. Each frozen hard as stone, eternally preserved.

She might have a magical fur coat of pure white; when worn, it automatically blankets the land around her in deep winter...soft snow flows out in all directions, frost coats every surface, and the temperature drops to a bone-chilling degree. I like the idea of the ubiquitous snow melding seemlessly into the hem of her luxurious white fur cloak, as if covering the entire world with its folds.

Edit: if the Christian name is uncomfortable, perhaps "Father Yule" might sound more attractive than "Father Christmas".
Sig
Posted: Aug 29 2007, 03:27 AM

Fey/Devil extraordinaire

Member No.: 3

Interesting. wink.gif
Galliard
Posted: Aug 29 2007, 03:34 AM

Advanced Member

Jack Frost...at first I suggested he had a frozen heart, but on second thought, perhaps he does have a soft spot for mortals...or at least a 'burning' curiosity. He often leaves his court to go to the mortal world (at least in winter). There, he flits from house to house, standing outside the windows and watching the mortals within. It's his breath on the panes that forms the frost, after all. No matter how many times he sees the mortals, he always returns time and again to watch their antics.

In true fey fashion, though, I could also see him continually forgetting that no mortal can withstand his touch, and every winter at least a few attractive mortals die as he kisses their warm lips. Perhaps this is one of the sources of the statues in his sister's palace? Perhaps it's not just curiosity that compels him to mortal lands...but also hunger and need...
Galliard
Posted: Aug 29 2007, 03:42 AM

Advanced Member

Let's see...how about Ymir? An impossibly colossal giant, tall as a mountain, that lives in the most distant northern realms. He can exhale fierce winter squalls, and grind flat the land as sure as any glacier (though certainly much quicker!). Frost, storm and hill giants all recognize and respect Ymir, who is known to ride in a chariot pulled by a team of elder white dragons. Luckily for the Court of Winter, he has no immediate designs on rule beyond his own immediate sphere of influence, the Court of Storms. It is said the Snow Queen is in clandestine talks with Ymir's greatest rival, the king of the fire giants, Surtur.

Edit: Some whisper that the Aurora Borealis flares red when Surtur is at court.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Theme, Setting, and History | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (10) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0495 seconds · Archive