zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Feybook. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

You need to register to start new topics. Do not post until you have read the Material Usage Agreement.

Mystic herbs, because they're just that awesome
draajen
Posted: Jun 12 2008, 02:34 AM

Princeling of the court of lunacy

Group: Members
Member No.: 29

Here's something that just occurred to me a while ago: magic fey-related herbs!
Well, why not? They're shown a lot in old myths, and there was a dragon article about them. Please tell what you think.
Sig
Posted: Jun 12 2008, 06:58 AM

Fey/Devil extraordinaire

Member No.: 3

Go for it. It's a non-profit RPG project so you could even mention, say, smoking exotic weeds and not get in trouble.
But I'm not one for expendable items, really.

Plus, it's been done over and over since AD&D as far as I know.
draajen
Posted: Jun 13 2008, 02:42 AM

Let me try this, just off the top of my head:

Ironroot
Description: Ironroot is a small, metallic-looking herb that grows in forests. The leaves are light green with occasional silver spots and shaped a bit like large rose petals. The power of the herb, however, is in it's roots. If ground up and mixed with water, the roots form a thick paste that, if put on a weapon (including a natural weapon), allow it to be treated as cold iron for 5 minutes. Harvesting Ironroot takes a DC 16 profession (herbalist) check, requires a DC 20 survival check to find, and yields 2 doses per plant. Ground Ironroot weighs 1/4 LB per dose, and costs 50 gp per dose on the open market.

Done. And Sig, of course magic herbs have been used a lot, that's part of their charm! Unless you were referring to the thing about drugs, in which case I didn't know that those had made much appearance in D&D (except in BOVD).
Sig
Posted: Jun 13 2008, 05:12 AM

Fey/Devil extraordinaire

Very nice draajen! See, it isn't very difficult, but since I've known about this for a while:

http://www.adnddownloads.com/poisons.php

draajen
Posted: Jun 15 2008, 10:31 PM

Thanks!
Here's another mystical plant:

Northern Furleaf
Northern Furleaf is a reddish tree that grows in northern (obviously) regions of the continent, named for the fur-like substance on it's leaves. It has a number of magical properties, and may have originated in the fey realms.
If a fire is made primarily out of the trees leaves, the smoke will form a window into the fey realms. Anyone who stares into the smoke for 5 minutes will be able to see across the planes into the place in the fey realms that corosponds (spelled that wrong) with the fire's location. However, the smoke is extremely hard on the lungs. If someone breathes the smoke for 10 minutes, they are affected by an inhaled poison (fort DC 15, 1D2 con/1D3 con).
In addition, the bark of a Furleaf tree deadens nerves, allowing you to resist pain. Drinking a tea made from the bark grants a +2 bonus to fortitude saves against pain effects and a +4 bonus to resist death from massive damage for 15 minutes. Just eating the bark sickens you for 1 minute, but grants a +6 save bonus (+10 to resist death from massive damage). However, you take a -2 penalty on all dexterity checks. All effects last for 2 hours. Enough leaves to start a fire cost about 5 gp, and the bark costs about 15 gp. It takes a DC 10 survival check to find Northern Furleaf, and no profession (herbalism) check to harvest leaves or bark from a Furleaf tree.
How's that? And will someone else please post some? Please?
Sig
Posted: Jun 16 2008, 04:15 AM

Fey/Devil extraordinaire

That looks fine but I'm buisy with the next self-assigned task(s).
Talisman
Posted: Jun 17 2008, 03:05 AM

Half-dragon mage

Member No.: 5

Looks good, draajen. One suggestion: Survival DCs to find said herbs in the appropriate terrain/climate/season.

And I'll be posting more stuff soon...I tend to work in cycles: I'll accomplish a lot, then lose interest, then come back in a flurry of activity. I'm on the leading edge of a new flurry now...
draajen
Posted: Jun 17 2008, 03:58 AM

Something else:

Moonflower
Moonflowers are a plant common in the fey realms. They usually appear as lotus flowers coated in silver. They are very rare, and possess powerful healing properties.
If Moonflower leaves are brewed in a tea, the tea will act as a potion of cure moderate wounds, healing 2D8+5 points of damage. There are enough petals on a single Moonflower to make 2 doses of this tea. If a whole Moonflower is consumed, the consumer will gain fast healing 2 for 1 hour. Finding a Moonflower takes a DC 45 survival check, and harvesting a Moonflower takes a DC 30 profession (herbalist) check. A whole moonflower costs upwards of 5000 gp.
draajen
Posted: Jun 21 2008, 11:57 PM

Rageweed
Rageweed is a blood-red plant that look a little bit like parsly. It is widely believed that it has ties to the abyss.
Rageweed is mildly poisonous (ingested, fort DC 13, 1D2 int/1D2 wis) and can be refined into a more powerful ingested poison (DC 17, 1D4 wis/ 1 int+1D2 dex) with a sucessful craft (poisonmaking) check (DC 20). In addition, if Rageweed is used as an additional material component in a rage or Tenser's Transformation spell, the spell automatically grants an additional +2 to strength and constitution. It takes a DC 20 survival check to find Rageweed, a DC 25 profession (herbalism) check to harvest it, and can be sold for 250 gp in areas where it is legal (many kingdoms have illegalized it due to it's use as a poison).
I forgot about the survival checks for the herbs. I'll add those soon.
Sig
Posted: Jun 22 2008, 02:38 AM

Fey/Devil extraordinaire

One thing I see as a result of magical plants is a certain reliance and dependability in these effects.

For instance, why ever have a situation of "Quick! Take them to the temple for healing." as with most mortal combats, when healing comes out of the ground?
Fey people would cultivate, harvest, and sell this stuff. It would be as big of an export crop as opium is for certain Arabs and marijuana is for certain South Americans.
You grow it, you refine it, you sell it. Profit.

However, if something like Moonflower grows like weeds, Fey would take it for granted. It would shape their hands-off policies and aloof government style, if any exists at all.
If enough magical resources spring from the ground, no one would bother researching spells or seeking arcane power; it's under your feet and in the spores in air.

"Eh, why bother buying potions tomorrow? Let's just camp here and make tea/snuff/incense."
draajen
Posted: Jun 23 2008, 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Sig @ Jun 22 2008, 02:38 AM)
For instance, why ever have a situation of "Quick! Take them to the temple for healing." as with most mortal combats, when healing comes out of the ground?
Fey people would cultivate, harvest, and sell this stuff. It would be as big of an export crop as opium is for certain Arabs and marijuana is for certain South Americans.
You grow it, you refine it, you sell it. Profit.

However, if something like Moonflower grows like weeds, Fey would take it for granted. It would shape their hands-off policies and aloof government style, if any exists at all.

Several things:
1. Fey probably don't use temples, given their issues with gods. Just me nitpicking.
2. Moonflowers DON'T just come out of the ground. Even if you can find them, you have to have a high profession (herbalism) score to harvest it without damaging it and ruining the effect.
3. Fey probably do sell some magic herbs, but those would be the really common ones. Now we're getting into the discussion of the multiplanar economy, which is an extremely interesting topic that has no place here. I'd love to discuss it anyway, if you're interested.
draajen
Posted: Jul 22 2008, 07:17 AM

Okay, nobody's interested. No big deal. (sighs). I think I have a good idea for one of these, but it's 12:16 now and I need to sleep.

Those past 3 sentences can be shortened to "BUMP" without losing much.
Talisman
Posted: Jul 23 2008, 03:17 AM

Half-dragon mage

Member No.: 5

I imagine these plants would be more plentiful and easy to grow in the Dreamlands/Otherworld/Fey Place, as well as Prime-plane lands where the fey are strong, and harder to find or grow in more "mundane" climes. They should be flat-out impossible to cultivate on huge plantations...fey magic just doesn't work thatb way.

Also, there's no reason the fey would necessarily trade their precious magical plants with us crass mortals. Some, sure...but this doesn't automatically ensure any large-scale interspecies (intertype?) plant trade.

And don't give up on us, draajen...we've all been having RL issues, it would seem.
draajen
Posted: Jul 23 2008, 04:32 AM

Same here. My family's moving. That's why I haven't been on for two weeks.
A bit standstilled on the herb. Apoligies.
draajen
Posted: Jul 29 2008, 02:59 AM

I've finally created something new!

Whisperleaf
Whisperleaf is an odd plant that often grows in the fey realms reflections of wheat fields. It has only one practical use:the next spell cast by anyone that consumes Whisperleaf is automatically cast with the silent spell feat, without the spell's level increasing. For one hour after the consumption of Whisperleaf, the consumer cannot speak louder than a whsper. The herb is highly addictive, if two doses are consumed within 1 hour, the user automatically becomes addicted. An addict that does not consume at least one dose of Whisperleaf per week takes 1D4 points of wisdom damage. After 3 weeks without consuming Whisperleaf, the addiction fades. It takes a DC 14 survival check to find Whisperleaf, and it can be sold for 25 gp (though addicts will often pay far more to get a fix).
How's that?
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Gear and Equipment | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0502 seconds · Archive