zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Feybook. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

You need to register to start new topics. Do not post until you have read the Material Usage Agreement.
Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Dumon (working title), Little winged thing. Big cleaving thing.
Sig
Posted: Oct 24 2008, 07:00 PM

Fey/Devil extraordinaire

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

"Fatal Blow" is a misnomer since the targets aren't living. Natch.

"Spirit of the Fray" made me lololol.

As a whole the abilities mostly just shift numbers around, including substitute CHA in for STR (which is brutally good and maybe good as a mid-high level feat for any Fey character) but I think that it would hold up well against a variety of characters for the following reasons:

• Incredibly small = hard to hit, godlike AC not even using items or buffs
• Great stats such as 34 CHA (effective STR), could arm wrestle a dragon and win
• Effects like Slay Magic, True Form, and duplicate spell effects so it could rival best-tier spellcasters.

Change "The dumon can rage as often as it likes, but must wait at least 5 minutes between rages." to "The dumon may Rage once every 5 minutes."

All that's missing is some kind of teleport to get around or out of jams, even if it's per-day or an incant.
Plane Shift isn't needed since we have the incants for pretty much anyone.

Observation: It just might be a tough fight. Perhaps not the Tarrasque of Feybook, but damned near close to it.
But please make it a sterile anomaly. Please! The fate of the Dragonballs hangs in the balance!
Raynx
Posted: Oct 24 2008, 08:28 PM

Member No.: 6

ohmy.gif

Well, that was pretty much what I had in mind for this thing. Nice work as always, Talisman.

As for the "Broly Equivalency Complex", keep in mind that it does have its weaknesses.
1) It can only wield the Reaver.
2) It is in a constant state of (non-game mechanic) rage, filled with a Barbarian's Rage every five minutes or so; this is a weakness because, coupled with its laughable intelligence and low wisdom, it is not difficult to outwit.
3) Hydrophobia. Gate this thing to the Elemental Plane of Water. Dumon-b-gone!

However, there was one thing I forgot to mention about the ocean chase-fight. As the Dumon managed to catch up to squid-boy and the gang, it wasn't content to simply have things shot/thrown at it without fighting back. Whenever they would dive back down, it would plunge the "Reaver" (as I suppose we're calling it now) down into the water to strike at the PCs and actually managed to hack away three of the squid's tentacles.

Aw, you all should have seen it. Their faces, I mean. They actually looked terrified of this thing. Easily one of my best D&D memories.

Again, Talisman, nice work. I will admit that the list of new abilities is daunting to gaze upon, but they fit really, really well into what I was imagining for this thing.

I never make super-monsters, just monsters with the potential to put up a super-fight, given the appropriate circumstances. Heck, a party of six fifth-level kobold rogues and a sorceror can be a terrific encounter, given the appropriate circumstances.

Oh yeah, and to give more of a background on this thing.
This is what I had worked out for the campaign world on that day:
Ahem...[see next post]
Raynx
Posted: Oct 24 2008, 08:45 PM

"Long ago, there was a village of peaceful millers who had only experienced a small shred of warfare for several generations. A pair of loggers went to work one morning, sent to reap a fresh section of the forest some distance away from the border of a neighboring kingdom. Stories were told around the village that it was a place where a covey of mysterious sylvan creatures once dwelled; who lived in communion with the wild elves, but it had been such a long time that the woods were abandoned and now belonged to the humans as a sort of natural rite of passage of ownership. ‘The woods are to be used by any with a need to use them, outweighed only by a greater need of another person’. Not a single one of them could have possibly known what fate would befall them that evening. As the loggers were finishing up their harvest, they saw that they had room for one more tree on their long-cart. They spotted a twisted, old oak that looked as if no creature could ever want to use for a home, so they set to work to ending its long life and bring it crashing to the ground. The loggers succeeded in their ordeal, but would not live to tell of what they saw before them. From the gnarled stump came a cracking sound of thunder and a flash of brilliant light. Upon the stump laid a small creature, with tossed hair the color of mahogany wood and streaks of rust and ochre across its frail body. The most striking feature was the tattered remains of what surely must have been wings. As the two men stood and marveled at their discovery, they didn’t notice the fallen tree behind them changing shape. As the tiny thing opened its small, red eyes, it stood upon the stump and the tree, still in metamorphosis, appeared in its hands. Then, with a scream that frightened the children all the way back in the town, it destroyed the men with a sword fit to be wielded by giants. The children begged for safety from their parents after hearing such a horrific noise, but all the townsfolk could do was comfort them and see what had caused the turmoil. Only a few minutes later, the creature had found and set upon the village, laying waste to all within its sight and reach. Weapons had seemingly no effect as it ducked, dodged, and weaved around the strikes of the peasants, cutting them down where they stood in defiance. The only survivor was a low-ranking member of the town’s militia who had been hurled into a building, which then fell in upon itself. Seeing no one else to slaughter, the beast made its way into the forest, most likely to set to ruin anything else it came across. This was the first time I had encountered the Dumon. I was that survivor…”
“After digging my out of the dilapidated house, I found my family ripped to shreds and thrown across the town in a heap of flesh, puss, bones, and blood. I threw down my sword that day, vowing to find a way to destroy the creature. I noted that the town shaman seemed to be a source of particular aggression after the beast saw him attempt to douse it with voluminous amounts of conjured water. I decided that magic was the key and that I must learn it. It had been a great many years, but in my old age I reached the pinnacle of my power, and then sought out the object of my vengeance. It had laid waste to the entire countryside, killing off everyone I had ever known and destroying every civilization I had ever even heard about. I hated that beast. I still do. I found it in the midst of leveling a monument to some great king who I’ve forgotten since. I failed to bring ruin upon it, but after a grueling battle through which I only survived by what must have a sequence of miracles I had managed to imprison it within a bottle designed to put it to sleep. It rests there still, trapped within its own dreams on this island which I brought up from the seafloor with my own magically-endowed hands. I made this ring to prolong my life for eternity so that I may guard its chamber long enough that I might discover a way to end its terror and bring finality to the mistake that is its life…”
~Torell, Lord of Sunset Isle.

"The Dumon is a singular entity of chaos, wrought and bound into the form of a fey creature. It is unknown if it is truly the only of its kind as its never been known to respond intelligibly, but rather would scream and attack any person who had the foolish courage to ask it a question. It has only been known to be defeated once, and indeed this is where all history concerning the sprite has sprung from (anyone else having encountered this beast has likely been killed). However, the ancient mage who did capture it wrote volumes of texts on his experiences with the fell monster, including information on what we are to believe is its weapon, which the author simply addresses as the "Reaver" (most likely titled as such from some personal experience with the Dumon). First, let us address the business end of the creature's repertoire, as it is most likely what you are truly interested in hearing about; the Reaver is a bladed weapon roughly 25ft long, most closely resembling a sword of some kind, which is covered in glowing, pulsating runic symbols which, as the mage had interpreted, are the names of foes of particular power which the Dumon has slain. The mage was surprised, however, that he found his own name being amongst the symbols, showing that, perhaps, some of the victims of the creature's prior engagements may have survived...sorry, back on topic. The weapon seems capable of crossing planar barriers, meaning that it can slay mortals and beings of ethereal origin alike, and appears to be made of onyx, however is as durable and strong as adamantine. The mage noted that, in the creature's sleep, the Reaver would drop from its hands and lay motionless upon the ground, to which he took the opportunity of locking it away in some giant cell for further study. Now, as for when the creature stirs, it may call the blade to its hands with only a thought or an inclination to wreak havoc, even to defend itself if it ever would need to. In short, it is not possible to disarm the Dumon except by causing it to sleep. The mage noted that magic of quite considerable power is required to make this even a possibility. As for creature itself, it has rather distinctive color markings which give away its identity in case one were to dismiss the giant sword..."
~Cabresius, Master Librarian, Scholar of the Torellic Texts

"..."
~countless corpses.
Sig
Posted: Oct 24 2008, 10:34 PM

Fey/Devil extraordinaire

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Raynx @ Oct 24 2008, 04:28 PM)
As for the "Broly Equivalency Complex", keep in mind that it does have its weaknesses.
1) It can only wield the Reaver.
2) It is in a constant state of (non-game mechanic) rage, filled with a Barbarian's Rage every five minutes or so; this is a weakness because, coupled with its laughable intelligence and low wisdom, it is not difficult to outwit.
3) Hydrophobia. Gate this thing to the Elemental Plane of Water. Dumon-b-gone!

1. That's not a disadvantage, it's an advantage. They can't be disarmed, Disjunctioned, Shattered, stolen from, etc.

2. Using low INT and WIS as 'weaknesses' is pure roleplaying, which is not in the realm of encounter balance, unless you account for Ability Damage.. and... well yeah just Ability Damage.
Outwitting has everything to do with the DM behind it, which is purely relative.

3. That's quite difficult to do given this thing's defenses, and you could do that with just about anything else except a Plane Shift/Etherealness or waterbreathing foe.

Facing a Dumon would be a tough match but at least its offensive powers aren't too great.
Raynx
Posted: Oct 25 2008, 04:34 PM

Fine, be that way. I still like it. Plus, now that it's statted, I can have it in an actual fight without having to make up stuff along the way.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Monsters and Races | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0295 seconds · Archive