I decided I'm going to stop being lazy and get to work on those massive revisions that I feel would improve the Zauros Saga enough to make it publishable. I love the idea and I don't want to waste it. So here's a list of my revision ideas, based on books.
But first, though, I've decided to scrap the whole "Gigazoic" and "Terazoic" names and just do "Megazoic: (Insert Subtitle Here)," at least for the sequels. The reason why is because I don't want people who don't know much of the trilogy to refer to them as the "Zoic" books, and I feel that's what they'd do if I kept these names. The first book's still going to be called "Megazoic," while the sequels, at least until I come up with better ideas, are going to be called "Megazoic: The Skull of Xzeno" and "Megazoic: Brink of Extinction," for Gigazoic and Terazoic respectively.Megazoic
- Completely rewritten climax. The current one sucks writing-wise, so I'm just going to start from scratch on it. It's still going to be the battle of the Antiversal Reactor, but it's going to be much better-written hopefully and probably much longer.
- Make Zogan more threatening. While he at least doesn't have the whole "Mr. Snuffles" thing anymore (anyone remember that?
), he's still kind of a typical evil dictator villain. I feel that since he's one of those poor souls tortured from being forced to lead the Xlur, he could be a lot more fascinating and well-written than he currently is.
- Oh, and give him a gunship. He currently has nothing but himself and a couple of incompetent Slva protecting him, so I'm going to give him this awesome gunship crammed with weaponry.
- Speaking of Slva, people have told me that it's impossible to pronounce, plus the whole "villainous" part of the acronym is kind of silly. Therefore, I'm going to rename them....something. Not sure what yet.Megazoic: Skull of Xzeno
- Oh man, where do I begin? Well, I think the biggest edit I want to make here is get rid of the spider filler in the middle and make up for it with a bigger climax. Instead of just having the Megaxl attack Zauros, I'm going to have the Xlur have to get through the shield protecting Zauros from the Megaxl, and thus launch a massive invasion on the planet trying to find the source of the shield. Legion Orange has to stop them, of course, but they fail, of course.
- Also, some of the names are silly. Fotixes? Sorcerium? Heck, even Kotub sounds pretty dumb. Might need to fix that. At least the carnostegids are supposed to be silly-sounding.Megazoic: Brink of Extinction
- I want to add a new villainous character, because it seems that there are really only three bad guys in the book: Suchus, Aezoa, and Xzeno. And even Suchus is only a bad guy for the first half! The rest of them are just random Mooks (sorry, had to use the trope name there.
) Therefore, there's not a lot for the villains to fight other than a bunch of Xlur. So, I've come up with a new character: Karnox, a huge
Xlur (his head is thirty feet above the ground, and his scorpion-tail goes another twenty feet above that) that's a master Calvacurador assassin. His hands can be either huge laser-augmented blades or howitzers. Yep, he can duel-wield howitzers. That's how awesome he is.
[spoiler]Oh, in case you were wondering, I'm planning Mac to be the one to finish him off. Three guesses why. However, it won't be so one-sided this time around, at least for this guy.[/spoiler]
- Also, I really, REALLY like that old idea I had of the Megaxl destroying three planets at once. I don't think it's EVER been done before, plus it just sounds epic. I didn't use it because I wasn't sure what planets to destroy: I didn't want them to be just three random planets. So, I decided that the three planets are going to be the three Ajaan planets: Aja-Kikoru, Aja-Xarak, and Aja-Qitzel. Aha-Kikoru is going to be the main planet, and Aja-Xarak and Aja-Qitzel are very, VERY large moons. So that means Terazoic will open completely differently.
Other than that and some little things like prose edits, those are my main plans. What do you think?