InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Antarctic Oasis: We put the "bop" in the "bop shoo bop shoo bop."
Pages: (6) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6  ( Go to first unread post )

General sports thread
Retired WerePenguins
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 07:46 AM

Professional Sushi Eater

Group: Member
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (The Evil Smurfs @ Mar 30 2012, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (Gruenberg @ Mar 28 2012, 10:22 AM)
(Well, I agree with Yelda that expanding MLB playoffs is a bad idea...but I think that's about it.)

And really, isn't that what's important here?

I think this is something we can all agree on. Look at Hockey in the US, the "playoffs" are practically a second season minus a few teams.
artichokeville
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 05:55 PM

MASCOT-NAZI!!!!

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Retired WerePenguins @ Mar 31 2012, 07:46 AM)
I think this is something we can all agree on.  Look at Hockey in the US, the "playoffs" are practically a second season minus a few teams.

I don't agree on it. Hockey. Basketball. Gridiron. Why don't you guys play something interesting, like cricket?
mousebumples
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 06:03 PM

Dean of the Diplomatic Corps
Group Icon

Group: Charter Nation
Member No.: 176

QUOTE (artichokeville @ Mar 31 2012, 07:55 PM)
I think this is something we can all agree on.  Look at Hockey in the US, the "playoffs" are practically a second season minus a few teams.

I don't agree on it. Hockey. Basketball. Gridiron. Why don't you guys play something interesting, like cricket?

We have hockey in the US? Really? I thought we retired that sport after the 1980 Olympics, when we realized that we could never be that awesome again ... tongue.gif
Retired WerePenguins
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 06:52 PM

Professional Sushi Eater

We didn't retire it, he hid it, under the cover of darkness. Hockey is the ping pong of US/Canada relations. (Otherwise we would have probably nuked Toronto over those damn Blue Jays years ago.) Division I hockey is the hidden college sport. You have Cornell, Yale, Colgate, Harvard, and Princetown in the league (and it was God Damned Union College that won the division ... we hates Union we does).

In other news, I'm an Islander fan. They haven't seen old Stanley's Cup since I left college in 1983. (In fact the only time they ever won the cup was the four years I was in college. Yes, I know what that means, but I too old to go for my doctorate and I can't find a suitable substitute.)

As for Cricket, I don't think the US has a patience for a game that breaks for lunch and only allows two balls to be played in the entire game. I was in London once and there was a cricket match (from India I believe) on the telly. It had rained the day before and there were temporary drains on the edge of the field. The ball managed to find its way into the drain and it took them 15 minutes for them to open up the tubes and get the ball back.

I was just at a sci fi convention and now I can't stop thnking about nations that have both cricket and (Non US) football as though they were a part of the super standard model of particles and hate is the equivalent of the Higgs field. I mean how else can one explain why cricket fans are so civil and football fans are mad as hatters?
The Evil Smurfs
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 07:01 PM

Blue Nazi Devil

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (artichokeville @ Mar 31 2012, 05:55 PM)

user posted image
Jenster
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 10:09 PM

Kamikaze Penguin Tamer

Member No.: 73

Alright, who else is watching the hockey playoffs? biggrin.gif
Kenny
  Posted: May 2 2012, 01:59 PM

Calmly Annoyed
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Gruenberg
Posted: May 2 2012, 03:02 PM

aka Kleinschnauzer

Group: Observer
Member No.: 2

I was really shocked when I saw that earlier. Terrible news.
Iron Felix
Posted: May 2 2012, 03:28 PM

crazedbolshevikzombie!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Kenny @ May 2 2012, 04:59 PM)
Junior Seau commits suicide.

Sad news. I always liked Junior. sad.gif
mousebumples
Posted: May 2 2012, 07:10 PM

Dean of the Diplomatic Corps
Group Icon

Group: Charter Nation
Member No.: 176

One other comment from a different report that may be worth noting ... [Source]

Seau's death, by gunshot wound to the chest, is similar to the way former Chicago Bears defensive back Dave Duerson died of suicide. Duerson shot himself in the chest on Feb. 17 -- a method used so that his brain could be examined for symptoms of CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy), a trauma-induced disease common to NFL players and others who have received repeated blows to the head.

I believe Duerson's autopsy/brain testing did confirm that he had CTE, which was likely caused by his actions on the football field.

Definitely a sad day for football fans - and sports - fans today, and most certainly for his family and friends. sad.gif
The Palentine
Posted: May 4 2012, 08:37 AM

The thinking man's pervert
Group Icon

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (artichokeville @ Apr 1 2012, 01:55 AM)

The joke's on you ma'am. MLB network showed the AUSTRALIAN BASEBALL LEAGUE playoff earlier this year. Finally y'all down under have become civilized. tongue.gif
Jenster
Posted: May 4 2012, 09:57 AM

Kamikaze Penguin Tamer

Member No.: 73

We finally civilized the Aussies? Excellent!! laugh.gif
Retired WerePenguins
Posted: May 4 2012, 10:42 AM

Professional Sushi Eater

As much as pride would suggest otherwise, I highly doubt it. I strongly suspect the Japanese infected them with American Baseball. They have the bug better than we do. In the United States, we generally have night games. Even though those games are during the morning hours in Japan, they still stop all work to watch it on their computers. Now that’s a real FAN!
Gruenberg
Posted: Aug 8 2012, 01:18 AM

aka Kleinschnauzer

Group: Observer
Member No.: 2

So, having been in hypergrumpy mode for the Olympic build-up...I'm really enjoying them now.
Retired WerePenguins
Posted: Aug 8 2012, 08:37 AM

Professional Sushi Eater

And now for something completely different (for Americans). Yes here we are in New York City, at the height of the Olympics, I might add, and tonight in Yankee Stadium, two european teams are going to play football, which the Americans incorrectly call "soccer" ... and the 50K stadium is officially sold out for tonight's game.

Mind you the teams are Real Madrid and AC Milan but still selling out the house is kind of impressive for New York.

And yes, I have field level seats to the game.

And the team I will root for? I'll look around me when I get to my seat. laugh.gif
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (6) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1290 seconds | Archive
Forum skin by Cluichstan.